IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Interfaith Dialogue
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Do Christians follow any dietary Laws?  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Do Christians follow any dietary Laws?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 11>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rational Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 January 2013 at 3:12am
Originally posted by Webber Webber wrote:

Yes.

Thanks, did Jesus (pbuh) eat pig?

Edited by Rational - 01 January 2013 at 3:13am
Rational View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rational Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 January 2013 at 5:15pm
Your silence is the answer. Thank you.

Originally posted by Webber Webber wrote:

Hi Rational, If your father-in-law was the only Christian, or the only type of Christian I might agree with you. Actually I know many that are like that. Same people don't usually know why pork was forbidden or if it still is.

Next time, try sticking to the point if you can, because that helps. No deflections please. No beating around the bush please. My father in law claims to be a Christian, believes that pig is forbidden in Christianity, but yet he is ok with pig. What does that mean? It means he doesn't care about what he believes in. Simple!

Edited by Rational - 05 January 2013 at 5:30pm
Webber View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Webber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 January 2013 at 8:11am
My silence is me just seeing your post now.
Your father in law was your point, the point you wanted to make...Christians don't care. As for answering your question I'll copy paste what I wrote in my second post. The one you must not have read.

Quote I doubt Jesus ever ate pork ...
I'm a Gentile.
Numb. 6:24-26
Rational View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rational Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2013 at 5:07am
Assalam Alaik Webber,

Since you doubt Jesus ever ate pig and since you are a follower of Jesus (pbuh), it's only sensible that you also not eat pig, even when pig is being offered to you.

Edited by Rational - 07 January 2013 at 5:12am
Webber View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Webber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 January 2013 at 10:04am

Quote Since you doubt Jesus ever ate pig and since you are a follower of Jesus (pbuh), it's only sensible that you also not eat pig, even when pig is being offered to you.

I understand where you�re coming from; although I�m not sure I understand the emphasis put on it. Why is it always pig? What about horse, rabbit, cats, dogs, monkey brains, etc?

If I was to take it a step further and only eat what Jesus ate then I�d be on a diet of bread and boiled fish. As I recall, that�s the only foods mentioned that Jesus ate.  To emulate Jesus would be very difficult. I�d have to curl my hair and get a deep suntan, but then we don�t really know that either. A purple seamless robe would be hard to find and I�d need a few wraps. Sandals wouldn�t work very well in this snow either.

The Jews could care less, matter of fact, Acts 21 explains. In verse 17 you have Paul and entourage arriving in Jerusalem to meet with the elders. The elders are happy to hear about Paul�s ministry with the gentiles, but have some concerns brought up by the Jews that live amongst the gentiles, one of which is dietary laws. Over the course of the discussion the elders tell Paul in verse 25 what they have decided�

Quote 25 As for the Gentile believers, we have written to them our decision that they should abstain from food sacrificed to idols, from blood, from the meat of strangled animals and from sexual immorality.�

Paul, knowing that even though the elders had made a decision that does not mention pork, etc. that it would still be a point of contention around the Jews that were zealous for the law, (as stated in Acts 21:20) that he better come up with a solution which he stated in Romans 14.

Quote 14 I know and am convinced by the Lord Jesus that there is nothing unclean of itself; but to him who considers anything to be unclean, to him it is unclean. 15 Yet if your brother is grieved because of your food, you are no longer walking in love. Do not destroy with your food the one for whom Christ died. 16 Therefore do not let your good be spoken of as evil; 17 for the kingdom of God is not eating and drinking, but righteousness and peace and joy in the Holy Spirit. 18 For he who serves Christ in these things is acceptable to God and approved by men.

19 Therefore let us pursue the things which make for peace and the things by which one may edify another. 20 Do not destroy the work of God for the sake of food. All things indeed are pure, but it is evil for the man who eats with offense. 21 It is good neither to eat meat nor drink wine nor do anything by which your brother stumbles or is offended or is made weak. 22 Do you have faith? Have it to yourself before God. Happy is he who does not condemn himself in what he approves. 23 But he who doubts is condemned if he eats, because he does not eat from faith; for whatever is not from faith is sin.

This is in keeping with Paul�s statement �Be all things to all men�. I hear Muslims say �Whaaa, he just told everybody to be a hypocrite�, but not so. His emphasis was on not causing a brother to stumble.

Put it this way. If you and I were to pick up a Jewish friend and go to a restaurant that served a monstrous buffet of everything, what would we eat? Let�s just say our Jewish friend is as zealous about it as you are.

Being all things to all men, I would do better to stay within your dietary laws. Not because of �the� laws but because I wouldn�t want to cause you or our friend any grief by doing so.  Pork would turn your stomachs. If you were to pick up a spoonful of (halal) locust, (sorry, lack of examples here but that would turn my stomach already) and our Jewish friend would ask you what type of locust they were. If not the one and only type that are kosher you�d turn his stomach as well. I wouldn�t care if you had a pile of shrimp, but our friend would. How about a steak and a tall glass of milk? The OT says not to boil a goat in its mother�s milk. That�s been expanded to not include milk and meat at the same time, (not so Biblical, but kosher�) therefore our Jewish friend would not be impressed. I bring back a plate of lasagna. All beef, tomatoes, etc., smothered in mozzarella cheese, (making myself hungry here) but now I have our Jewish friend scowling at me because cheese is still dairy. So when our Jewish friend came back to the table with a glass of wine, I would not be impressed, not because of any laws but because of past experience. You, on the other hand, (and I�m not totally sure on this, but because of what Muslim friends have told me) would either have to ignore it, move to another table, or leave the restaurant. In order to appease each other�s diets, would we all end up eating bread and boiled fish? Better we pick a kosher restaurant next time.

According to Paul�s direction, bringing pork, horse, rabbit, snails, w/e to the table would be my sin. Knowing your convictions and eating it in front of you would be another sin. Tempting you to try it would yet again be another sin. If I tempted you until you tried it, whoa� I�d best stay home. Look at the trouble I�m already in for mentioning I�ve eaten pork.

I'm a Gentile.
honeto View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote honeto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 January 2013 at 7:23pm
It is interesting to see some Christians preaching against eating pork.
Hasan
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQQLU4J_pE0&list=PL6E354A95DBA8E3E3

Edited by honeto - 08 January 2013 at 7:25pm
The friends of God will certainly have nothing to fear, nor will they be grieved. Al Quran 10:62

Webber View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Webber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 January 2013 at 8:28pm
I'm sure we could find lots of arguments on all sides. Just explaining what's written.
Paul always gets blamed but as you can see, the Jewish elders wrote the Gentile dietary laws.
I'm a Gentile.
Placid View Drop Down

Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Placid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2013 at 8:19am
Hi Hasan,

In Antioch in Syria when the Gentiles were being converted from paganism, or whatever, to Christianity, this happened in Acts 15:
1   And certain men came down from Judea and taught the brethren, �Unless you are circumcised according to the custom of Moses, you cannot be saved.�
2 Therefore, when Paul and Barnabas had no small dissension and dispute with them, they determined that Paul and Barnabas and certain others of them should go up to Jerusalem, to the apostles and elders, about this question.

The Apostles were in the Church in Jerusalem when they were not traveling to other areas, and James, the half-brother of Jesus was the Leader or Pastor, and he officiated at the meeting.
--- If you read from verse 1-21, you will understand that the Gentiles were not subject to the Jewish law, --- so it gives what was called �The Jerusalem Decree.�

--- (Notice that Paul and Barnabas didn�t write this but they are mentioned by James and the elders, (other Apostles) as �our beloved Barnabas and Paul.�)

22 Then it pleased the apostles and elders, with the whole church, to send chosen men of their own company to Antioch with Paul and Barnabas, namely, Judas who was also named Barsabas, and Silas, leading men among the brethren.
23 They wrote this letter by them:
�The apostles, the elders, and the brethren,
To the brethren who are of the Gentiles in Antioch, Syria, and Cilicia:
Greetings.
24 Since we have heard that some who went out from us have troubled you with words, unsettling your souls, saying, �You must be circumcised and keep the law�� to whom we gave no such commandment�
25 it seemed good to us, being assembled with one accord, to send chosen men to you with our beloved Barnabas and Paul,
26 men who have risked their lives for the name of our Lord Jesus Christ.
27 We have therefore sent Judas and Silas, who will also report the same things by word of mouth.
28 For it seemed good to the Holy Spirit, and to us, to lay upon you no greater burden than these necessary things:
29 that you abstain from things offered to idols, from blood, from things strangled, and from sexual immorality. If you keep yourselves from these, you will do well.
Farewell."

(Interesting topic, a little more later)

Placid

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 11>
  Share Topic