IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Politics > Current Events
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - School shooters and UAV drone operators  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

School shooters and UAV drone operators

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Senior  Member
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TG12345 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: School shooters and UAV drone operators
    Posted: 18 December 2012 at 1:27pm
This is not intended in any way to downplay the horrific murders of the American children murdered at Sandy Hook elementary school last week, or to divert attention from the tragedy and the survivors and the loved ones of those who didn't survive. However, it is important to raise people's awareness about Pakistani children being murdered by American drones that are bombing northwestern Pakistan.

As Obama cries for the children at Sandy Hook, his soldiers are carrying out air strikes on a regular basis that are killing the children of Pakistan. Their deaths go for the most part uncovered by the world's media. No one in our countries hear their screams, and few seem to care.

I highly recommend reading this editorial by the Guardian. The murder of any children, anywhere, and for any reason is sickening and wrong. It is a crime against God Himself.

In the US, mass child killings are tragedies. In Pakistan, mere bug splats | George Monbiot | Comment is free | The Guardian Edit/Delete%20Message
schmikbob View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote schmikbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 December 2012 at 1:08pm
Murder, by definition, is wrong.  Murder of children would indicate a higher order of insanity that the murder of an adult. 
That being said, comparing a deranged individual looking a child in the face and shooting them dead with a UAV operator is ridiculous.  Unless of course you have some data that says UAV operator are intentionally targeting children, which I seriously doubt. 
TG12345 View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TG12345 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 December 2012 at 3:12pm
Originally posted by schmikbob schmikbob wrote:

Murder, by definition, is wrong.  Murder of children would indicate a higher order of insanity that the murder of an adult. 
That being said, comparing a deranged individual looking a child in the face and shooting them dead with a UAV operator is ridiculous.  Unless of course you have some data that says UAV operator are intentionally targeting children, which I seriously doubt. 

If you bomb a place where you know there are both adults and children, you are guilty of murdering both adults and children.

This is an article written by Der Spiegel about a UAV drone operator who left his 'profession'. Here is an excerpt:

Bryant completed 6,000 flight hours during his six years in the Air Force. "I saw men, women and children die during that time," says Bryant. "I never thought I would kill that many people. In fact, I thought I couldn't kill anyone at all."

http://www.spiegel.de/international/world/pain-continues-after-war-for-american-drone-pilot-a-872726.html

schmikbob View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote schmikbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 December 2012 at 4:01pm
I would agree with you if you are intentionally targeting noncombatents

If, for example, a known terrorist decides that the best way to remain alive is to keep his entire family around him at all times, this should be an acceptable tactic?  I disagree.   Or, for example, a terrorist decides that the best place to launch a shoulder fired weapon at a aircraft is from the roof of his own house in a residential neighborhood, this too should be protected?  I disagree. 

Also, a statement by a drone operator that he thought he couldn't kill anyone at all is disingenuous.  That's part of his job.  If he didn't want the job he shouldn't have taken it. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic