IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Interfaith Dialogue
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Question for Muslims about Adam  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Question for Muslims about Adam

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Senior  Member
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TG12345 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Question for Muslims about Adam
    Posted: 17 December 2012 at 5:02pm
Salaam Alaikum. Sorry for all these questions, but I have another one. I have heard many Muslims say that Adam was a prophet from God, in fact the very first prophet. I have read the story of Adam from an Islamic perspective from these sites, and heard it in various discussions with Muslims. These sites and all Muslims I know refer to him as a prophet.

http://islam.worldofislam.info/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=330:adam-pbuh

http://www.itsislam.net/articles/prophet_adam.asp

The Biblical and Quranic story of Adam has many similarities and a few differences. We all agree he and Eve sinned against God and we all agree that in spite of this, He did not stop providing for them and loving them, though He did cast them out of the Garden.

The following sites showed various passages in the Quran explaining the story of Adam, but I haven't seen one passage that says he was a prophet of God. My knowledge of the Quran is not very good so there is a very huge likelihood that it does say he was a prophet and I have not found or overlooked the verse that does.

Could you please show me ayahs or even authentic hadith that say he was prophet from God? Thanks in advance. Salaam.
iec786 View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iec786 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 December 2012 at 9:58pm
If you refer to one of my previous responses regarding the difference between prophets (Nabi) and messengers (Rasu'l) according to the Qur'an, it should become evident that a Rasu'l is sent to a particular people, whereas a Nabi is simply a person who receives divine guidance through any form of revelation. Keeping this and the fact that Adam was the first man, it should be evident that he was a prophet of God and not a messenger.

My opinion is also supported by some of the narratives ascribed to the Prophet (pbuh). In the more accepted compilations of the narratives ascribed to the Prophet (pbuh) there is a narrative in "Musnad Ahmad ibn Hanbal", in which Abu Hurairah (ra) asked the Prophet about Adam (pbuh). The Prophet (pbuh) is reported to have told Abu Hurairah (ra) that Adam (pbuh) was the first among the prophets of God.
nothing View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nothing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 December 2012 at 12:07am
Alaikum Salaam.

In the Qur'an I don't think Adam as mentioned as a Prophet per se. The Adam's prophethood is from hadith. But the Qur'an states he was a Khalifah. Nor it mentioned him as the first human. I inclined to believe that he was the first conscious human. The "Prophethood" title would be more fitting if there were humans already on this earth when his consciousness begins. His consciousness was the turning point that make us here today. Make sense?
TG12345 View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TG12345 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 December 2012 at 4:32am
Originally posted by nothing nothing wrote:

Alaikum Salaam.

In the Qur'an I don't think Adam as mentioned as a Prophet per se. The Adam's prophethood is from hadith. But the Qur'an states he was a Khalifah. Nor it mentioned him as the first human. I inclined to believe that he was the first conscious human. The "Prophethood" title would be more fitting if there were humans already on this earth when his consciousness begins. His consciousness was the turning point that make us here today. Make sense?

Peace be upon you also. Thanks for this, in the Bible he is also not listed as a prophet but as the first person.

What do you mean by "his consciousness begins. His consciousness was the turning point that make us here today."?

Do you know why then Adam is referred to as a prophet by most Muslims? Which hadith say that?
docbro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote docbro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 December 2012 at 1:50pm
Originally posted by TG12345 TG12345 wrote:

The Biblical and Quranic story of Adam has many similarities and a few differences.

Quran didn't say God was searching for Adam !
http://quran-m.com/firas/en1/index.php/embracing-islam/255-the-beginning-of-creation-in-the-bible-and-in-the-holy-quran.html
http://www.answering-christianity.com/sami_zaatri/adam_eve_downfall.htm

Edited by docbro - 18 December 2012 at 1:51pm
islamispeace View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote islamispeace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 December 2012 at 7:55pm
In the Name of Allah, the Beneficent, the Merciful...

Salaam Alaikum. Sorry for all these questions, but I have another one. I have heard many Muslims say that Adam was a prophet from God, in fact the very first prophet. I have read the story of Adam from an Islamic perspective from these sites, and heard it in various discussions with Muslims. These sites and all Muslims I know refer to him as a prophet.

http://islam.worldofislam.info/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=330:adam-pbuh

The Biblical and Quranic story of Adam has many similarities and a few differences. We all agree he and Eve sinned against God and we all agree that in spite of this, He did not stop providing for them and loving them, though He did cast them out of the Garden.

The following sites showed various passages in the Quran explaining the story of Adam, but I haven't seen one passage that says he was a prophet of God. My knowledge of the Quran is not very good so there is a very huge likelihood that it does say he was a prophet and I have not found or overlooked the verse that does.

Could you please show me ayahs or even authentic hadith that say he was prophet from God? Thanks in advance. Salaam.

Walaikum as-salaam. 

The Quran does not literally say "Adam was a prophet".  However, it does say that Adam (pbuh) was given "guidance" after the fall. 

"But his Lord chose him (for His Grace): He turned to him, and gave him Guidance.  He said: "Get ye down, both of you,- all together, from the Garden, with enmity one to another: but if, as is sure, there comes to you Guidance from Me, whosoever follows My Guidance, will not lose his way, nor fall into misery.  "But whosoever turns away from My Message, verily for him is a life narrowed down, and We shall raise him up blind on the Day of Judgment."" (20:122-124)

Allah (swt) sent His guidance through his prophets.  Obviously, with the fall of Adam and Eve, mankind began to spread on the earth.  As such, guidance would have been needed.   
Say: "Truly, my prayer and my service of sacrifice, my life and my death, are (all) for Allah, the Cherisher of the Worlds. (Surat al-Anaam: 162)

TG12345 View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TG12345 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 December 2012 at 5:11am
Originally posted by islamispeace islamispeace wrote:

In the Name of Allah, the Beneficent, the Merciful...

Walaikum as-salaam. 

The Quran does not literally say "Adam was a prophet".  However, it does say that Adam (pbuh) was given "guidance" after the fall. 

"But his Lord chose him (for His Grace): He turned to him, and gave him Guidance.  He said: "Get ye down, both of you,- all together, from the Garden, with enmity one to another: but if, as is sure, there comes to you Guidance from Me, whosoever follows My Guidance, will not lose his way, nor fall into misery.  "But whosoever turns away from My Message, verily for him is a life narrowed down, and We shall raise him up blind on the Day of Judgment."" (20:122-124)

Allah (swt) sent His guidance through his prophets.  Obviously, with the fall of Adam and Eve, mankind began to spread on the earth.  As such, guidance would have been needed.   

Salaam Alaikum, islamispeace.

Did God according to Islam send guidance to people who were not prophets, or only to prophets? I am just curious about this.

I am assuming that you believe Adam was a prophet, correct?

Shukran.
TG12345 View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TG12345 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 December 2012 at 6:04pm
Salaam Alaikum. I have some more questions about the prophethood of Adam in Islam.

Are there hadith that say Adam was a prophet of God? Do we know when he prophesied, and who he prophesied to? Do we know what we taught?

Thanks so much! Smile

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic