IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Discussion
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Lets Talk About Health & Fitness  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Lets Talk About Health & Fitness

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Idil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lets Talk About Health & Fitness
    Posted: 12 November 2012 at 3:44pm
Asalamu Calykum Everyone,

Hope you all are in great health and emaan. Lets lightened up things and talk about Health and Fitness. My question to you all is what do you do to  keep yourself fit? And also is anyone currently following the programs by BeachBody, if so which one and what has been your results?

Currently, I am doing Cathe Friedrich STS strength training workout and would highly recommend this to all my sisters. Also I  do 4 hour cardio session at the gym.

Look forward to hearing from you all .

Edited by Idil - 12 November 2012 at 3:47pm
lady View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 November 2012 at 8:13pm
Assalaamoalaikum sister.
I am so happy that you wrote a forum about health and fitness.
I have a spinning bike that I bought from the ymca. So I try to spin four days a week, when I am in the lower 48s.  And If I spin, I do it for an hour  but  for 20 minutues each spinning session three times a day. For example, 20 minutes after breakfast, then 20 minutes after lunch, etc, to total 1 hour.   (In college, I had a japanese, equadorian, and russian friend to tell me that they were taught to walk or do some form of low intensity exercise after eating). So therefore, I force myself to spin slow and not fast.Smile
I bought two week ago, the insanity workout.  But I have not opened the box yet. I will start inshAllah, next week. I will not do this tape everyday, becasue I really think that a woman should look feminine.
I hate lifting weights, and I have learned that this is something that I WILL not make myself be committed too.
When I lived in Alaska, I walked and rode my bicycle everywhere. So now I am in the lower 48s, I have my spinning bike with me.
I try to drink this blend of ingredients each day:
1. a handful of  fresh kale
2. a handful of raw spinach
3. one capful of extra olive oil (the darker the better Smile)
4. almond milk (orginal flavor or unsweeten kind)
5.blueberries, or blackberries, any antioxidant frozen fruit.
I made this for shake for many people including americans, foreignors or whomever dont like eating healthy and they all said that they love it.  It looks like it will not be tasty but even kids like it.  My nephew is a typical 11 year old and he said to my surprised that he loved this shake. I made this shake to people who dont even eat vegetables and they loved it. Anyway,since I have been drinking this, I feel energized and I do not get sick. If I feel like I have a cough or I am catching something, then I will give myself a double dose of this at night, and then I think, a few hours or less the cough or sore throat, etc goes away.
I dont microwave my foods.
I get at least 8 hours or more of sleep each day.
I try to take the steps if possibe, if I am not busy, or have extra time, sometimes I try to help my friends or family cook, clean, anything that will keep me moving, etc. I play sports with my nephews and neice, etc.
When I meet with my friends, I try to get them to meet me at the skating ring, etc.
I try not to eat from a shared plate, because you can not know how much you are eating, etc.
Weight lost is 80 percent or more of what you eat, and the rest is activity.
My recommendations for anyone is that try to cook five  variety of meals that will last no more than three days.  Then for each of those meals, try to take two table spoons of food from each.  I find that when I eat a variety of foods per meal that my body is more satisfy so therefore, my cravings for more foods, or junk food tremendously decreases. The foods do not have to match, it just need to be a variety of greens and proteins, etc, or whatever food pyramid you like to follow. The five foods that will go on your plate should never include friut. This is seperate.  If you like to drink a cup of milk, then that will be 1/5 foods you have selected. Trust me it works....I created this plan for myself and it works. I eat this food for breakfast, lunch and dinner but not more than three days.  
Once a week, I will eat junk food. It could be a a sneaker bar, or pizza, peanut butter sandwich, pakistani food or whatever, etc.   I eat what I want but I never do buffets.
I do not believe in eating many small meals a day.
 Smile
See what other people are eating and learn from them. I like to hear what the asians or any group of race or individuals who are known to look healthy.
I take a prenatal vitamin which I think is better than a multivitamin, and folic acid.
I hope this helps.  and I hope others will participate in this discussionSmile

Edited by lady - 12 November 2012 at 8:16pm
Matt Browne View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Browne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 November 2012 at 7:32am
Strength training in a gym twice a weak (bone density, better support for joints...)
Endurance training 2-3 times a week (cardiovascular health)

A religion that's intolerant of other religions can't be the world's best religion --Abdel Samad
Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people--Eleanor Roosevelt
Idil View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Idil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 November 2012 at 2:49pm
Originally posted by lady lady wrote:

Assalaamoalaikum sister.
I am so happy that you wrote a forum about health and fitness.
I have a spinning bike that I bought from the ymca. So I try to spin four days a week, when I am in the lower 48s.  And If I spin, I do it for an hour  but  for 20 minutues each spinning session three times a day. For example, 20 minutes after breakfast, then 20 minutes after lunch, etc, to total 1 hour.   (In college, I had a japanese, equadorian, and russian friend to tell me that they were taught to walk or do some form of low intensity exercise after eating). So therefore, I force myself to spin slow and not fast.Smile
I bought two week ago, the insanity workout.  But I have not opened the box yet. I will start inshAllah, next week. I will not do this tape everyday, becasue I really think that a woman should look feminine.
I hate lifting weights, and I have learned that this is something that I WILL not make myself be committed too.
When I lived in Alaska, I walked and rode my bicycle everywhere. So now I am in the lower 48s, I have my spinning bike with me.
I try to drink this blend of ingredients each day:
1. a handful of  fresh kale
2. a handful of raw spinach
3. one capful of extra olive oil (the darker the better Smile)
4. almond milk (orginal flavor or unsweeten kind)
5.blueberries, or blackberries, any antioxidant frozen fruit.
I made this for shake for many people including americans, foreignors or whomever dont like eating healthy and they all said that they love it.  It looks like it will not be tasty but even kids like it.  My nephew is a typical 11 year old and he said to my surprised that he loved this shake. I made this shake to people who dont even eat vegetables and they loved it. Anyway,since I have been drinking this, I feel energized and I do not get sick. If I feel like I have a cough or I am catching something, then I will give myself a double dose of this at night, and then I think, a few hours or less the cough or sore throat, etc goes away.
I dont microwave my foods.
I get at least 8 hours or more of sleep each day.
I try to take the steps if possibe, if I am not busy, or have extra time, sometimes I try to help my friends or family cook, clean, anything that will keep me moving, etc. I play sports with my nephews and neice, etc.
When I meet with my friends, I try to get them to meet me at the skating ring, etc.
I try not to eat from a shared plate, because you can not know how much you are eating, etc.
Weight lost is 80 percent or more of what you eat, and the rest is activity.
My recommendations for anyone is that try to cook five  variety of meals that will last no more than three days.  Then for each of those meals, try to take two table spoons of food from each.  I find that when I eat a variety of foods per meal that my body is more satisfy so therefore, my cravings for more foods, or junk food tremendously decreases. The foods do not have to match, it just need to be a variety of greens and proteins, etc, or whatever food pyramid you like to follow. The five foods that will go on your plate should never include friut. This is seperate.  If you like to drink a cup of milk, then that will be 1/5 foods you have selected. Trust me it works....I created this plan for myself and it works. I eat this food for breakfast, lunch and dinner but not more than three days.  
Once a week, I will eat junk food. It could be a a sneaker bar, or pizza, peanut butter sandwich, pakistani food or whatever, etc.   I eat what I want but I never do buffets.
I do not believe in eating many small meals a day.
 Smile
See what other people are eating and learn from them. I like to hear what the asians or any group of race or individuals who are known to look healthy.
I take a prenatal vitamin which I think is better than a multivitamin, and folic acid.
I hope this helps.  and I hope others will participate in this discussionSmile

Walykum Salaam sis,

It is great to hear from you and masha allah sis you are working hard. You are indeed living the healthy life style. You must be very courageous  for choosing the spin bike as your cardio machine. I always try to avoid it at the gym. And indeed sis almost 80-90% of weightloss is attributable to nutrition so it becomes even more important to watch out for what we put in our mouths. Do you know, I am always told to have six small meals during the day by the experts but for some reason this is very hard to achieve. Don`t have the time to prepare it and also I am afraid that I might make the six meals into a larger portion and before you know rather than loosing weight the opposite takes place. How do you deal with that sis?

And yes sis, we can learn alot when it comes to healthy eating from East and South East Asia as they have the lowest obesity rates. What I have learned from fellow students who are from this part of the world is that dairy products is limited in their diet, so maybe we might have to reduce our consumption of this.

Edited by Idil - 14 November 2012 at 2:56pm
Idil View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Idil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 November 2012 at 2:58pm
Originally posted by Matt Browne Matt Browne wrote:

Strength training in a gym twice a weak (bone density, better support for joints...)
Endurance training 2-3 times a week (cardiovascular health)

Good to hear that you are doing your bit Matt. It truly becomes even more important nowadays to keep active and live a healthy life style as the obesity crisis is taken the West by storm. Keep it up.
Purple Cup View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Purple Cup Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2012 at 6:31pm
Just to let you all know there is a husband and wife team who have united her Nutrition expertise and his Fitness expertise together on Youtube under the name, "Muslim Fitness." Some of their articles can be found on Habibi Matrimonials for all who are interested.

http://www.habibimatrimonials.com/page/muslimfitness

Jazak Allah Khair

lady View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2012 at 9:05pm

I agree with the dairy products idea.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic