IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > General Islamic Matter
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Calling yourself religious....  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Calling yourself religious....

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Calling yourself religious....
    Posted: 06 September 2012 at 7:04am

Do you think that man has the right to call himself religious? Or is this  a word that should only be confirmed by Allah?

I personally think that if a person calls himself religious then he is really in denial.... I am a aware that my thinking could be wrong as well.
abuayisha View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Muslim
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abuayisha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 September 2012 at 8:33pm
Perhaps the individual is simply indicating their practice of Islam, in other words, prayer, fasting, hajj, zakat and other such outward and ritualistic performances.  And not what I'd assume you'd take exception to, that one would declare "emaan" or "righteousness" or "piety" for themselves.
thomaslee View Drop Down
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thomaslee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2012 at 7:35pm
If a person calls themselves religious then i get nervous.  If you watch the movie " Kingdom of Heaven "  the knight is talking to Balin and says something about the sins commited in the name of religon.  I believe it is all about a personal relationship with God . Cool
Caringheart View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caringheart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2012 at 3:29pm
I agree with you thomaslee...
I didn't comment on this thread the first time I saw it, but today was saying to myself when I saw the title;

"I do not believe in religion.  I believe in God."
Heart

Responding to Lady...
I believe man has the right to call himself anything he wants, but only God can judge what is right.  Only God is the one true judge... the one who knows all.

Edited by Caringheart - 11 September 2012 at 3:34pm
Nausheen View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nausheen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 September 2012 at 8:58pm
"I believe man has the right to call himself anything he wants, but only God can judge what is right.  Only God is the one true judge... the one who knows all."

Agree with most of it - well said. However I have a problem with 'man has a right to call himself anything he wants'. The problem is not with 'calling' oneself something/anything -rather the choices one makes according to this presumption in treating others.

When we call ourselves religions, many a times we end up treating others with a snob, an aura or supiriority etc. We dont have a right to do that.

I think one who calls himself by an adjective, also thinks himself to possess those qualities - and then treats others using that his yardstick. Pharoah called himself God ... he did many things because of this belief, including atrocities on his people.

One who has a tendency of controlling others, not sure what he would call himself but certainly he gives himself the right to do so - and in all truth he does not have this right.

I dont think people have a right to call themselves whatever they like and then go about infringing others' personal space ... point to ponder.

Lady's post reminded me of a thaught - being religions and believing in God is not a quality we have despite of God, rather a gift from Him. There are people who genuinly want to understand God, His religion, His laws, and find harmony within themselves with it - yet they are unable to find peace.  Its not like we read a few books, understand a certain set of logics - do some thinking in a particular direction and the result is we are godfearing religious beings - it does not happen that way. There is no specific formula for acquiering religiosity unless God tends His attention, mercy, favor and aid.

Just a thaught.

<font color=purple>Wanu nazzilu minal Qurani ma huwa

Shafaa un wa rahmatun lil mo'mineena

wa la yaziduzzalimeena illa khasara.
[/COLOR]
thomaslee View Drop Down
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thomaslee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 September 2012 at 9:42pm
I could not of said it better myself Caringheart ! Peace sister Cool
lady View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 September 2012 at 2:38am
Thanks all for your replies.

I still think that one can not call himself religious unless God,HIMSELF revealed that to him.    A person who is religious tries to practice the deen as much as he can with the best of his ability and at the same time commits very few sins.  This person makes the conscience decision in everything he does to go more than beyond the basics of what is required to be a muslim or nonmuslim practicing another faith.  Can we say this about ourselves?  NO.  As a muslim, I can not make the mistake of saying that I know I am going to Jinnah unless Allah has revealed this to me.   So how can we say that we are religious?  Yes we can say that there are steps we must practice that will help us get there.
So to say that you are religious to me seems like you are in denial of the kind of person you really are.  I am not saying that this can not be revealed to you by Allah.
I am not bothered that people say this about themselves, but when they do, I always wonder why they think so.  Smile
Caringheart View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caringheart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 September 2012 at 6:08pm
Greetings Nausheen,
It's been awhile.  Smile

"When we call ourselves religious, many a times we end up treating others with a snob, an aura or supiriority etc. We dont have a right to do that."

I agree with that statement too.  If a person behaves in this way they are not truly religious... belonging to God... are they?  Maybe this is why I don't believe in religion.  Too many people belong to a religion like one belongs to a club.  They don't know what it really means to belong to God and God alone, serving Him, and not themselves and their own purposes.

"I dont think people have a right to call themselves whatever they like and then go about infringing others' personal space ... point to ponder."

Right... and Hmmm.  Smile  I still say we need to stand for God.  It is in how we do that, that matters.  It is a hard call.

I shared this on another site;
I believe God has come to us in many ways across the generations to try to reach and guide our hearts to Him. It is up to us to "keep what is good and reject what is not good." *    To discern the Truth.

* But examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good;. King James Bible (Cambridge Ed.) ... word of God, and what they found to be true they were to embrace; what was false they were to reject

I recommend reading this link, there is too much there to share but I think so important. Read the commentaries particularly.
http://bible.cc/1_th...onians/5-21.htm

Blessings to you,
Caringheart

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic