IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Interfaith Dialogue
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - THE MESSAGE OF THE MESSENGERS  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

THE MESSAGE OF THE MESSENGERS

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Caringheart View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caringheart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2012 at 8:20pm
Originally posted by truthnowcome truthnowcome wrote:

Peace unto you!

So what they received there? <>

It says in John.20:21-22 �...As my father hath sent me, even so I �send� you (the disciple) and when he had said this, he breathe on them, and said unto them, �received ye the Holy Ghost.� (John.20:21-22).

They were then sent to go and remit sins:

�Whosesoever sins ye (The disciples) remit, they are remited unto them; and whose soever sins ye retain, they are retained.� John 20:23

Did they remit sins empty handed?

tnc

Greetings TNC,

Ok, so I have taken time to look up the passage.  This was after Jesus had risen and came back and appeared to His disciples, so yes, I guess it is referring to the Disciples receiving the Holy Spirit from Jesus so that they could begin their ministry.
This is one of the differences in the accounts of how the Holy Spirit was received.  I guess it depends on how it was described by the Apostles themselves and how it was later interpreted and recounted.  Remember that there were accounts being told in different places changing languages and so language would have an impact on how it was translated.  You know how sometimes there just isn't a word in one language that describes another word in another language?  Sometimes it is hard to convey meaning when changing languages.  This was the way John conveyed the meaning of the Apostles receiving the Holy Spirit from Jesus.

Remember I am no academic.  This is purely from my own studying and understanding.  I am not taking from any 'expert' interpretation, only what God has given me to understand.  This is just me and my own understanding. Smile

Blessings to you,
Caringheart

Edited by Caringheart - 09 October 2012 at 8:22pm
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caringheart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2012 at 8:00pm

Caringheart, there is a big difference between �WITH him� and �HE is�

If the spirit of God is with him and he is the Spirit of God then what you are implying is that Jesus is with Jesus.

So this verse �I saw the Spirit descending from heaven... and abode upon him.�(John 1:32) Will imply that Jesus abode upon Jesus.

Which one is really Jesus (S)?

thc

Greetings TNC,

Your question made me think of this:

"Will the "real" Jesus please stand up."  Sorry just my humor. LOL

Anyway,
"... there is a big difference between �WITH him� and �HE is�

Truly there is not.
The Spirit of God was with Him, and He was, and is, that Spirit of God.

This goes to understanding the Holy Trinity, which I have as yet to be able to explain and make clear to any Muslim.  It must be a mystery revealed to the mind only by God himself.
They are all one and the same... Father(Creator God), Son(Father in the flesh, conceived as the Son), and Holy Spirit(the spirit of God).
Just as a three leaf clover has three leaves, but they are all part of one clover.

"So this verse �I saw the Spirit descending from heaven... and abode upon him.�(John 1:32) Will imply that Jesus abode upon Jesus."

The flesh was flesh before God sent the Spirit(the power of God), at baptism.  Did Jesus perform any miracles before receiving the Spirit, the power of God?  Until then He was flesh with divine knowledge but without the power.

This is the way I understand.
Caringheart
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caringheart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2012 at 5:36pm
Originally posted by honeto honeto wrote:

Hasan

Greetings,

I really hate when people confuse my words when I think I have been quite clear.  I will say it again.

The Holy Spirit whom Jesus referred to while He was with His apostles was Himself... the Holy Spirit was in Jesus... remember the Spirit of God... the dove... which descended upon Jesus when John the Baptist baptized Him? 
Jesus promised to send the Holy Spirit to His apostles after He was gone from the earth... that the Holy Spirit could not come into them while He was still here on earth, but when He was gone they would not be left alone... that when He was gone he would send that Spirit[of Himself] to them, to indwell them.

While with them in the flesh, Jesus was that Holy Spirit of God.
Once he was gone the Holy Spirit came into the Apostle's at pentacost.

No confusion.
Is it a mystery?  Yes. 
Mystery is not the same as confusion.

Salaam
honeto View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote honeto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2012 at 12:12pm
Originally posted by Caringheart Caringheart wrote:

<>
<span style="font-family: Arial; font-size: 11pt;"></span><span style="font-family: Arial; font-size: 11pt;">I know what
is the Spirit of God, but you have to make up your mind If Jesus (S) is the
Spirit that dwelleth with the disciples or if was the Spirit of God.</span>

<span style="font-family: Arial; font-size: 11pt;">I am
waiting, Peace!</span>

<span style="font-family: Arial; font-size: 11pt;">TNC</span>

�
Greetings TNC,
�
This is easy to explain.
I am not going to quote your entire post as it will only be confusing to others, but I hope that you and I�may follow.� [IMG]smileys/smiley1.gif" height="17" width="17" align="absmiddle" alt="Smile" />
�
Jesus did/does have the Spirit of God within Him...�and to His apostles, while on earth He is that Spirit of God that is with them.� As far as breathing on them... again I correct where you typed 'received', the word is 'receive' as you already acknowledged(I only mention it again for clarity here... to make sure we are understanding each other.� [IMG]smileys/smiley1.gif" height="17" width="17" align="absmiddle" alt="Smile" />)... Now I do not take this to mean that His apostle's received the Holy Spirit at that time, as the Gospels tell me that the Holy Spirit came to the apostles at Pentacost... after Jesus had risen, just as Jesus had said, the Holy spirit could not, and would not,�come until He had gone.� This is how I understand.
�
Salaam,
Caringheart

Caringheart,
you said above: "Jesus did/does have the Spirit of God within Him...�and to His apostles, while on earth"
This is in contrast to what you said once before. Remember when we were talking about John 16:12�I have many more things to say to you, but you cannot bear them now. 13�But when He, the Spirit of truth, comes, He will guide you into all the truth; for He will not speak on His own initiative, but whatever He hears, He will speak; and He will disclose to you what is to come. 14�He will glorify Me, for He will take of Mine and will disclose it to you. 15�All things that the Father has are Mine; therefore I said that He takes of Mine and will disclose it to you." At that point you were saying that this refers to the coming of the holy spirit. Now you are saying that while on earth Jesus and the apostles had that Spirit with them. In fact you are saying that Jesus was that Spirit!
So now beside creating more problems, it disproves your own thoughts before that the Holy Spirit was the one that the above verses say will come.
Hasan
The friends of God will certainly have nothing to fear, nor will they be grieved. Al Quran 10:62

truthnowcome View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote truthnowcome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2012 at 11:03am
<>

I know what is the Spirit of God, but you have to make up your mind If Jesus (S) is the Spirit that dwelleth with the disciples or if was the Spirit of God.

I am waiting, Peace!

TNC

Greetings TNC,

This is easy to explain.

I am not going to quote your entire post as it will only be confusing to others, but I hope that you and I may follow.  mile

Jesus did/does have the Spirit of God within Him... and to His apostles, while on earth He is that Spirit of God that is with them.  As far as breathing on them... again I correct where you typed 'received', the word is 'receive' as you already acknowledged(I only mention it again for clarity here... to make sure we are 

Salaam,

Caringheart

Caringheart, there is a big difference between �WITH him� and �HE is�

If the spirit of God is with him and he is the Spirit of God then what you are implying is that Jesus is with Jesus.

So this verse �I saw the Spirit descending from heaven... and abode upon him.�(John 1:32) Will imply that Jesus abode upon Jesus.

Which one is really Jesus (S)?

thc

LET'S SET THE RECORD STRAIGHT ONCE AND FOR ALL...NO MORE LIES!
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote truthnowcome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2012 at 10:42am
<>

I know what is the Spirit of God, but you have to make up your mind If Jesus (S) is the Spirit that dwelleth with the disciples or if was the Spirit of God.

I am waiting, Peace!

TNC

Greetings TNC,

This is easy to explain.

I am not going to quote your entire post as it will only be confusing to others, but I hope that you and I may follow.  mile

Jesus did/does have the Spirit of God within Him... and to His apostles, while on earth He is that Spirit of God that is with them.  As far as breathing on them... again I correct where you typed 'received', the word is 'receive' as you already acknowledged(I only mention it again for clarity here... to make sure we are understanding each other.  mile)... Now I do not take this to mean that His apostle's received the Holy Spirit at that time, as the Gospels tell me that the Holy Spirit came to the apostles at Pentacost... after Jesus had risen, just as Jesus had said, the Holy spirit could not, and would not, come until He had gone.  This is how I understand.

Salaam,

Caringheart

Peace unto you!

So what they received there? <>

It says in John.20:21-22 �...As my father hath sent me, even so I �send� you (the disciple) and when he had said this, he breathe on them, and said unto them, �received ye the Holy Ghost.� (John.20:21-22).

They were then sent to go and remit sins:

�Whosesoever sins ye (The disciples) remit, they are remited unto them; and whose soever sins ye retain, they are retained.� John 20:23

Did they remit sins empty handed?

tnc

Edited by truthnowcome - 09 October 2012 at 10:48am
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caringheart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 October 2012 at 11:10am

<>

I am waiting, Peace!

TNC

Greetings TNC,

This is easy to explain.
I am not going to quote your entire post as it will only be confusing to others, but I hope that you and I may follow.  Smile

Jesus did/does have the Spirit of God within Him... and to His apostles, while on earth He is that Spirit of God that is with them.  As far as breathing on them... again I correct where you typed 'received', the word is 'receive' as you already acknowledged(I only mention it again for clarity here... to make sure we are understanding each other.  Smile)... Now I do not take this to mean that His apostle's received the Holy Spirit at that time, as the Gospels tell me that the Holy Spirit came to the apostles at Pentacost... after Jesus had risen, just as Jesus had said, the Holy spirit could not, and would not, come until He had gone.  This is how I understand.

Salaam,
Caringheart
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote truthnowcome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 October 2012 at 10:51pm
<>

Peace Caringheart,
 I always misspell words, the word there I meant was "breathe" not breads. However, Let me go over it again.

<>
 ï¿½even the spirit of truth: whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for �he dwelleth with you and shall be in you.� (John14:16-17). If this Comforter is in Heaven how suddenly he dwelleth with them?

TNC

You said:

Greetings TNC,

I must be brief.

Jesus was referring to Himself... He is the Spirit that dwelleth with his Apostle's that the world knoweth not... and He promises that He first must go that the Spirit may return and dwell within them[the Apostles].

the Spirit of Truth... Truth... God.. Father, Son, Holy Spirit

We gave unto Jesus, son of Mary, clear proofs (of Allah's sovereignty), and We supported him with the Holy spirit.  Surah 2:87

In that post you said: �Jesus (S) is the Spirit that dwelleth with his Apostle��

That is the reason I ask: �when Jesus (S) breathed on to the disciples if he breathed himself unto them�

Jesus (S) said (and this is before he left): �...as my father hath sent me, even so i send you (the disciple) and when he had said this, he breathed on them, and said unto them, received ye the holy ghost.� (john.20:21-22)

Did Jesus (S) bread himself into the disciples there?

In the post below you change the tone, you said: ��Jesus had the Spirit of God...�

Greetings TNC,

But yes, it is understood that the disciples received the Spirit of God, as Jesus had the Spirit of God, that they also would be able to do the miracles which Jesus had done.

The Spirit of God is a thing that has the ability to live in each one of us, if we are given to receive it.

Spirit is spirit.

I don't know if that helps.
Blessings,
Caringheart

It has been said that;
The earliest Christians experienced the Holy Spirit as a rush of wind that opened them to understanding one another as never before.

I am waiting, Peace!

TNC

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>
  Share Topic