IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Interfaith Dialogue
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - comparative studies  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

comparative studies

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
Author
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caringheart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 December 2014 at 11:09am
6:111 And though We should send down the angels unto them, and the dead should speak unto them, and We should gather against them all things in array, they would not believe unless Allah so willed. Howbeit, most of them are ignorant.

from the book of Luke, the record of the Word of Yshwe, chapter 16;
31 And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead.

Edited by Caringheart - 06 December 2014 at 11:09am
Let us seek Truth together
Blessed be God forever
"I believe in Jesus as I believe in the sun... not because I see it, but because by it, I see everything else.: - C.S.Lewis
Caringheart View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caringheart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2015 at 7:13am
Scripture teaches, �From one man he made all the nations, that they should inhabit the whole earth; and He marked out their appointed times in history and the boundaries of their lands� (Acts 17:26).

There is a corresponding verse from the qur'an similar to this.
Blessed be God forever
"I believe in Jesus as I believe in the sun... not because I see it, but because by it, I see everything else.: - C.S.Lewis
AhmadJoyia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AhmadJoyia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 December 2015 at 10:39am
Originally posted by Abu Loren Abu Loren wrote:

They are not all alike. Of the People of the Scripture there is a
staunch community who recite the revelations of Allah in the night
season, falling prostrate (before Him).
They believe in Allah and the Last Day, and enjoin right conduct and
forbid indecency, and vie one with another in good works. These are of
the righteous.      
And whatever good they do, they will not be denied the meed thereof. Allah is Aware of those who ward off (evil).

This is talking about the Christians and Jews who converted to Islam. See the following tasfir.
Yet they, the People of the Scripture, are not all alike, equal; some of the People of the Scripture are a community upright, with integrity, adhering to the truth, such as �Abd Allāh b. Salām, may God be pleased with him and his companions, who recite God�s verses in the watches of the night, that is, during its hours, prostrating themselves, performing prayer (wa-hum yasjudūn, �prostrating themselves�, is a circumstantial qualifier).

Dear Bro Abu Loren: I am really sorry to say that I am not convinced with your evidence of Tafseer that these verses are talking about those 'People of the Book' who had converted to Islam. Simply because after conversion they did not remain Christians or Jews. They all became Muslims and one can't expect Quran would address them yet as the 'People of the Book'. Secondly, there is nothing in your Tafseer which says anything about this other than very oblique reference to one unknown person Abd Allāh b. Salām. One must not confuse with the name, as such names were very common among the Arabic People of the Book. On the more, kindly look at the following 6 translations of Quran, which clearly talks in the present tense of grammar:-

1. Sahih International: They are not [all] the same; among the People of the Scripture is a community standing [in obedience], reciting the verses of Allah during periods of the night and prostrating [in prayer].

2. Pickthall: They are not all alike. Of the People of the Scripture there is a staunch community who recite the revelations of Allah in the night season, falling prostrate (before Him).

3. Yusuf Ali: Not all of them are alike: Of the People of the Book are a portion that stand (For the right): They rehearse the Signs of Allah all night long, and they prostrate themselves in adoration.

4. Shakir: They are not all alike; of the followers of the Book there is an upright party; they recite Allah's communications in the nighttime and they adore (Him).

5. Muhammad Sarwar: The People of the Book are not all the same. Some of them are straightforward. They recite the words of God in prostration at night.

6. Mohsin Khan: Not all of them are alike; a party of the people of the Scripture stand for the right, they recite the Verses of Allah during the hours of the night, prostrating themselves in prayer.

So essentially these verses are making a clear exception within the 'People of the Book' who are on the right path. Look at the very next verse which says
"Yusuf Ali: They believe in Allah and the Last Day; they enjoin what is right, and forbid what is wrong; and they hasten (in emulation) in (all) good works: They are in the ranks of the righteous." These verses clearly teach plurality and tolerance, at least within the 'People of the Book'.

Edited by AhmadJoyia - 06 December 2015 at 10:48am
Abu Loren View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abu Loren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 December 2015 at 3:25pm
Originally posted by AhmadJoyia AhmadJoyia wrote:

Dear Bro Abu Loren: I am really sorry to say that I am not convinced with your evidence of Tafseer that these verses are talking about those 'People of the Book' who had converted to Islam. Simply because after conversion they did not remain Christians or Jews. They all became Muslims and one can't expect Quran would address them yet as the 'People of the Book'.

The reason I think Allah Subhana Wa Ta'ala mentions the new Muslims as the people of the book is to differentiate them.

Secondly, there is nothing in your Tafseer which says anything about this other than very oblique reference to one unknown person Abd Allāh b. Salām. One must not confuse with the name, as such names were very common among the Arabic People of the Book. On the more, kindly look at the following 6 translations of Quran, which clearly talks in the present tense of grammar:-

Abd Allah bin Salem is just an example as a believer from the people of the book.

So essentially these verses are making a clear exception within the 'People of the Book' who are on the right path. Look at the very next verse which says
"Yusuf Ali: They believe in Allah and the Last Day; they enjoin what is right, and forbid what is wrong; and they hasten (in emulation) in (all) good works: They are in the ranks of the righteous." These verses clearly teach plurality and tolerance, at least within the 'People of the Book'.

One can only be on the right path if they become a Muslim because Islam is the only religion acceptable to Allah Subhana Wa Ta'ala. Nowhere in the Qur'an does it teach plurality and tolerance of other religions. Those people of the book who do not accept the teachings of the Qur'an nor the prophethood of Mohammad (SalAllahu Alayhi Wa Sallam) are doomed.

It seems that your understanding of the Qur'an and IslaM is at fault. (No offence).
La Ilaha IllAllah
AhmadJoyia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AhmadJoyia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2015 at 1:21am

Dear Bro Abu Loren: I am really sorry to say that I am not convinced with your evidence of Tafseer that these verses are talking about those 'People of the Book' who had converted to Islam. Simply because after conversion they did not remain Christians or Jews. They all became Muslims and one can't expect Quran would address them yet as the 'People of the Book'.

The reason I think Allah Subhana Wa Ta'ala mentions the new Muslims as the people of the book is to differentiate them.

Can you explain why you think Quran gives only one and same title (People of the Book) for the two different group of people? 1) Jews/Christians + others not converted to Islam. 2) Jews/Christians who became Muslims.
Very strange theory. Please do support your theory by providing authentic references. I shall appreciate it.

Abd Allah bin Salem is just an example as a believer from the people of the book.
That is the point. There are believers of God and only one God, from among the people of the book, yet they might not have embraced shahda. So, how do you now see these verses? Group 1 or 2? IMHO, these verses are specifically addressing believers in Group 1.

One can only be on the right path if they become a Muslim because Islam is the only religion acceptable to Allah Subhana Wa Ta'ala. Nowhere in the Qur'an does it teach plurality and tolerance of other religions. Those people of the book who do not accept the teachings of the Qur'an nor the prophethood of Mohammad (SalAllahu Alayhi Wa Sallam) are doomed.
It seems that your understanding of the Qur'an and IslaM is at fault. (No offence).
You are too quick to Judge my brother! May peace be upon you. Anyhow, I hope now you would differentiate between any people of the book and the Believers among the people of the book. Can you?
ForHumanity View Drop Down
Starter.
Starter.
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ForHumanity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2015 at 9:00am
As-salamu alaykum, May Peace Be Upon You,

(N.B. I know you said a discussion between 2-3 people, sorry if I break that rule)

I am new here, so sorry, but could you please clarify what you are asking: Do you want to know why the sayings of the Prophet are taken into consideration? Or are you saying that Christianity is a religion of Peace and that Islam is a religion of hatred?

Please confirm this for me. Smile
Abu Loren View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abu Loren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2015 at 1:32pm

In the Qur'an the people of the book are only Jews and the Christians because they followed the Bible. But those people who have converted to Islam are referred to as people of the book as well to differentiate them.

La Ilaha IllAllah
Caringheart View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caringheart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2015 at 8:22pm
The following verse from Deuteronomy, chapter 38

30 How should one chase a thousand, and two put ten thousand to flight, except their Rock had sold them, and the Lord had shut them up?

would seem to explain the hadith, the statement of Muhammad,
about how 'the very stones will say, here there is a Jew behind me, kill him' ...

a misconception of the verse from Deuteronomy.

Edited by Caringheart - 08 December 2015 at 8:50am
Blessed be God forever
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
  Share Topic