IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Discussion
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Hijab - Freedom NOT Oppression : Opinion  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hijab - Freedom NOT Oppression : Opinion

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 13>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Matt Browne View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Browne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 October 2012 at 10:54am
Originally posted by Nausheen Nausheen wrote:

1. There is another category of women, or rather a subtype - women who cover despite their husbands being against the hijab ... sad but true!

>> There are Turkish parents who are against the Hijab in Germany, but their teenage daughters want to wear it because of peer pressure at school. In some schools in Berlin more than 80% of the students are Muslims. So if a girl doesn't wear a headscarf she might be called a slut.

2. Are you sure you are genuinly concerned about us getting enough vit D, and not fooling us into exposing ourselves to UV irradiation? ... just kidding :)
Yes I know how important vid D3 is. But a very short period of sunlight directly on the bones is sufficient to make all the vit D3 one needs. Thank you for your conecers and reminders.

>> It is a serious problem, otherwise medical journals wouldn't write about it.

3. I dont understand what you mean by us not respecting other's dress code. If one is a hijabi - would she be required to appear in certain cultures without a head-cover in order to indicate she is being respectful of that culture?

>> Face veils are considered offensive in Germany. They violate our dress code. Older Christian women sometimes wear headscarves to protect their hair. Nuns cover their hair.

4. Would you please explain what you mean by tolerating intolerance. I live in a non-muslim society and have non-muslim friends. I follow my religion and respectfully excuse myself out of certain norms/practices which would entail going against my religion. Im not sure how far this might offend others.

>> I tolerate tolerant people. I don't tolerate intolerant people. I tolerate Muslims who respect Jews, Christians, Hindus, Buddhists, polytheists, agnostics and atheists. I don't tolerate Muslims who don't respect Jews, Christians, Hindus, Buddhists, polytheists, agnostics and atheists. I tolerate people who vote for conservative parties when they tolerate that I vote for liberal parties. I don't tolerate neo-Nazis, because of their intolerant perverse ideology. I tolerate vegans, if they tolerate that I eat cheese. And so forth. You seem like a very tolerant person. You have non-Muslim friends. Well, there are Muslim fundamentalists who say that the Quran forbids them to befriend non-Muslims. There are several verses that are quite explicit about that. There are Muslim fundamentalists who practice Taqiyya, which mean they pretend to befriend non-Muslims to further the cause of Islam. They are intolerant of other religions. There are several people here on Islamicity who call me an disbeliever and infidel. This is the intolerance I am talking about.

Want to know, do non-muslims really find it offensive if a muslim refuses to drink or dine with them due to their religion?

>> Yes, if they are the hosts and the Muslims are the guests. We had Muslim guests in the past and we chose not to serve pork and there were plenty of non-alcoholic beverages. There was no problem. Many years ago my wife and I visited Egypt. When Egyptians invited us for dinner they would have found it very offensive if we refused because of our religion or world view. Some Germans are vegan extremists and they refuse to dine with people who eat cheese. Most people consider their behavior to be quite offensive.

'Allah hates us. Devout Muslims hate us and we say, oh, that's their culture and we have to respect different cultures.'

Its really sad that you feel this way. And worse if you've picked this impression from muslims who you thought were devout.

>> I was referring to verses in the Quran that are about the hatred of disbelievers and the fight against disbelievers (especially the late Medina Suras). I know that the vast majority of Muslims don't feel that way. But a minority of Muslims does, unfortunately. They think of Christians and Jews and atheists as being inferior and evil. They despise the West. They despise people who eat pork or drink alcohol or listen to music. They despise women, who don't cover their hair. They hate secular laws. They hate homosexuals and so forth. And they consider themselves to be devout Muslims. I know there are plenty of devout Muslims who disagree with them.

What would you expect from muslims in order to bridge the gap and make our society more respectful and tolerant for all?

>> Cancel the word disbeliever from the vocabulary. Stop talking about the Bible being corrupt and full of lies. Stop talking about the one true religion. Stop talking about superior and inferior religions. Start talking about my religion and your religion. My way and your way. Respect atheists. Respect Muslims who decide to leave their religion. Respect Muslim women want to marry a Christian man. Respect norms and values and dress codes of Western countries. Respect secularism. Give women all the rights that exist for men. End the silly dream of the whole world being ruled by Islam depicting it as some kind of paradise.  Appreciate a diverse colorful world full of mutual respect and tolerance.

Edited by Matt Browne - 27 October 2012 at 10:58am
A religion that's intolerant of other religions can't be the world's best religion --Abdel Samad
Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people--Eleanor Roosevelt
Senior  Member
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Browne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 October 2012 at 10:09am
Originally posted by honeto honeto wrote:

Matt,
those terms are not Islamic. The only term that describes a true believer is "Muslim". There is no other term that describes it. Progressive Muslims, liberal Muslims, moderate Muslims, extremist Muslims, those are product of western world's choice of words describing how it distinguishes between who they approve of and who they don't.
Only those who follow the Quran are Muslims in the sight of the one who sent it. Who is good in who's sight in this world we give them a different name but the reality remains what it is, in front of God. And that's what matters to a follower of the Quran, a Muslim.

3:114 (Y. Ali) They believe in Allah and the Last Day; they enjoin what is right, and forbid what is wrong; and they hasten (in emulation) in (all) good works: They are in the ranks of the righteous.

Hasan

Hasan, I understand your desire for simplicity. But simple statements don't eliminate the complexity present in the world. What does it mean to follow the Quran? If it were that simple there would only be one school of jurisprudence, but there are several, because it is difficult to interpret the Quran and the Hadith. And there are Muslims who believe in the separation of state and religion (secular Muslims) and those who don't (non-secular Muslims). Which Muslim is the real Muslim?

A religion that's intolerant of other religions can't be the world's best religion --Abdel Samad
Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people--Eleanor Roosevelt
Senior  Member
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Browne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 October 2012 at 9:57am
Originally posted by Abu Loren Abu Loren wrote:

Originally posted by hakeema hakeema wrote:

As-Salaam Alaikum Abu Loren,
"Never Explain yourself to Anyone. Because the Person who Likes you doesn't Need it. And the Person who Dislikes you won't Believe it".
Understand what I am saying Abu Loren.
Hakeema
Wa Alaikkum As'alaam dear sis
The thing is we have to try and educate these infildils. Lol.
However rude and obnoxious they are.... Insha'Allah they will see the light and the Truth from the Holy Qur'an.

I can't think of anything more rude than talking about someone who is present in the third person.

Educating infidels? I wonder who needs more education here.

Edited by Matt Browne - 27 October 2012 at 9:58am
Senior  Member
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Browne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 October 2012 at 9:51am
Originally posted by Abu Loren Abu Loren wrote:

If I'm not mistaken the majority of Muslims in Germany are Turks and I wouldn't say they are progressive but I would call them 'Westernised Muslims'.
The verse I gave you is from the Holy Qur'an and not a hadith of the Prophet pbuh). God is telling all women who believe and fear Him to cover up. You can have your views however distorted they may be.

Yes, you are correct. About 2.5 million are of Turkish origin. Some have chosen to become German citizens. You will find the full range of how seriously they take Islam. There are Muslims in name only. There are cultural Muslims who don't pray and don't go to the mosque yet keep elements of the culture and celebrate Islamic holidays. I know more about Islam than they do. Then there are liberal or progressive Muslims who know a good deal about Islam and who are smart enough to be able to understand the Quran and Sunnah with their proper historical context. Most of them are secular Muslims like about half of the population in Turkey. They respect laws made by elected representatives. They reject Islamic jurisprudence. The fourth group are conservative Muslims, who really believe that Islam is superior to other religions. They read the Quran a lot and often create a lot of trouble. Many boys are raised to become machos. Some don't respect female teachers. They threaten their sisters when they choose to have a German boyfriend etc. Some of these machos also consider German girls to be unclean and sluts. Often they are very arrogant and lazy and do poorly in school. The fifth group are the ultra conservatives and they think Islam is the greatest thing on Earth and everything else has little relevance. They despise the West, but appreciate the knowledge of German medicine. Funny. They always prefer German hospitals over Turkish hospitals or Arab hospitals. They disagree with many German laws, but don't say so openly. They would love to have the Sharia replace German laws. They dream that this might become possible in 30 years. The sixth group are the non-militant fundamentalists. They embrace Salafism and Wahhabism and other extreme forms of Islam. Their whole life revolves around the Quran and the Sunnah and they would like to create a world like it was in the 7th century. They even prefer roots over toothbrushes. The seventh group, which is a small group, are the militant fundamentalists. They hurt or kill people. Some attend schools in Egypt or Saudi Arabia and training camps in Pakistan and then come back to Germany.

So when you talk about the Turks in Germany keep in mind that this is not a homogenous group.

Whether God is telling all women who believe and fear Him to cover up is a controversial issue. It's all about interpretation. Why would God not tell men who believe and fear Him to cover up? That's illogical.

Nausheen View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nausheen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 October 2012 at 9:12am
Originally posted by Matt Browne Matt Browne wrote:

Hakeema, I'm fully aware that there are two groups of women when it comes to wearing face veils. One group chooses to wear it and the other group is forced by their husbands to wear it. Just because you choose to wear it doesn't mean there are no women who are forced to wear it.

The vitamin D part is a side issue, though an important one. The key issue here is that Muslims don't respect non-Muslim cultures and dress codes when living in the Dar al-harb. And we people in the West are so foolish that we even tolerate intolerance. Allah hates us. Devout Muslims hate us and we say, oh, that's their culture and we have to respect different cultures.

We can't change the fact that women in Saudi Arabia and southern Afghanistan are treated like cattle. But we won't have any of this in Detroit, London, Paris, Madrid and Berlin. And that's not racist. That is defending values and our freedom and human rights.

Dont have the patience to read thru everything. Was somewhat surprised this string has gone as long as 10 pages ...

Like this post very much, so wanted to comment.

1. There is another category of women, or rather a subtype - women who cover despite their husbands being against the hijab ... sad but true!

2. Are you sure you are genuinly concerned about us getting enough vit D, and not fooling us into exposing ourselves to UV irradiation? ... just kidding :)
Yes I know how important vid D3 is. But a very short period of sunlight directly on the bones is sufficient to make all the vit D3 one needs. Thank you for your conecers and reminders.

3. I dont understand what you mean by us not respecting other's dress code. If one is a hijabi - would she be required to appear in certain cultures without a head-cover in order to indicate she is being respectful of that culture?

4. Would you please explain what you mean by tolerating intolerance. I live in a non-muslim society and have non-muslim friends. I follow my religion and respectfully excuse myself out of certain norms/practices which would entail going against my religion. Im not sure how far this might offend others.

Want to know, do non-muslims really find it offensive if a muslim refuses to drink or dine with them due to their religion?

'Allah hates us. Devout Muslims hate us and we say, oh, that's their culture and we have to respect different cultures.'

Its really sad that you feel this way. And worse if you've picked this impression from muslims who you thought were devout.

What would you expect from muslims in order to bridge the gap and make our society more respectful and tolerant for all?

<font color=purple>Wanu nazzilu minal Qurani ma huwa

Shafaa un wa rahmatun lil mo'mineena

wa la yaziduzzalimeena illa khasara.
[/COLOR]
Chrysalis View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chrysalis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2012 at 5:35am
Non-Muslim Hijabi Youtuber "Gothmummi" on why she wears hijab:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fos2ydSmfkQ&feature=relmfu
"O Lord, forgive me, my parents and Muslims in the Hereafter. O Lord, show mercy on them as they showed mercy to me when I was young."
Chrysalis View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chrysalis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2012 at 5:30am
Miss Universe contestant tries hijab in Australia

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_j4s06Nu7Y

Edited by Chrysalis - 25 October 2012 at 5:42am
"O Lord, forgive me, my parents and Muslims in the Hereafter. O Lord, show mercy on them as they showed mercy to me when I was young."
Chrysalis View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chrysalis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2012 at 5:21am
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXzUuKdfnRE

Edited by Chrysalis - 25 October 2012 at 5:22am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 13>
  Share Topic