IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Discussion
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Hijab - Freedom NOT Oppression : Opinion  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hijab - Freedom NOT Oppression : Opinion

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 13>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Caringheart View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caringheart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hijab - Freedom NOT Oppression : Opinion
    Posted: 26 June 2013 at 11:51pm
It's funny that this thread came up today because I had just written on this topic as I was thinking about another thread on another forum.

Veiling

It was for the protection of women during Muhammad's time.  Should women have to protect themselves this way?  Or shouldn't men be able to become more civilized?

I can't imagine never being able to enjoy the feel of the warmth of the sun on my skin... or the breeze as it cools the skin.

I can't imagine in Malaysia, where it is 100 degrees... and other desert regions... having to be all covered like that.

That's just what I was thinking.  A man had made a comment on another forum about how the women in the west do not veil, and said it as a slur against them, as though it somehow speaks to their purity... and it had me thinking about veiling, and the different standards in the muslim world that there are for men vs. for women.  Women are expected to be pure and veiling gives this impression, but how true is this impression?  And what about the men, how much do they value their purity?  Do they hold themselves to the same high standard as they hold their women?  Are muslim men and women really any more pure than those in the west?  I don't think so.  I think a lot of muslim reverts are such because they are trying to escape their sinful pasts.  I think we are all subject to sinful natures in a sin filled world.  It's just that in the west it is no longer hidden... less hypocrisy.
(This all came up because of a discussion about mutah.)

Edited by Caringheart - 26 June 2013 at 11:52pm
Let us seek Truth together
Blessed be God forever
"I believe in Jesus as I believe in the sun... not because I see it, but because by it, I see everything else.: - C.S.Lewis
Nausheen View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nausheen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2013 at 6:10pm
Hello Matt,

My visits are quite sporadic. Im not sure If I make a come-back and then leave or its just that - sporadic.

Thank you for your comments.
<font color=purple>Wanu nazzilu minal Qurani ma huwa

Shafaa un wa rahmatun lil mo'mineena

wa la yaziduzzalimeena illa khasara.
[/COLOR]
Matt Browne View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Browne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2013 at 3:47am
Originally posted by proud2bmuslim proud2bmuslim wrote:

Dear Mattbrowne, nausheen is the one who has started this thread

That's not an answer to my question. I was wondering whether she has left the forum, which would be a pity. I admire her intellect. Here's her data:

Online Status:     Offline

A religion that's intolerant of other religions can't be the world's best religion --Abdel Samad
Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people--Eleanor Roosevelt
proud2bmuslim View Drop Down
Starter.
Starter.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote proud2bmuslim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2013 at 7:32am
Dear Mattbrowne, nausheen is the one who has started this thread
Senior  Member
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Browne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2013 at 9:51am
Where's Nausheen?
A religion that's intolerant of other religions can't be the world's best religion --Abdel Samad
Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people--Eleanor Roosevelt
proud2bmuslim View Drop Down
Starter.
Starter.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote proud2bmuslim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2013 at 1:05am
Assalamalaikum...
Agreed with nausheen., i am a graduate engineer working for a govt co. in electrical field. apart from office work i'l happen to go out at site (power stations)and examine the work, troubleshoot the electrical system faults etc. and under such circumstances i really feel so very comfortable about myself, my attire clad in burqa, that i can do all the work with much ease(even if at times i have to climb upon a 150MVA power transformer) as compared to my other female counterparts who are without burqa. for a girl to protect herself from the gaze of non-marhams, the most perfect dress that she can wear is burqa. now my non- muslim friends too say that it is the best thing what i wear and one of my colleagues has also adopted the habit of wearing a scarf outside, what ever personal reason she has. In Islam, a girl is given all the freedom, but she should knw her boundaries and stay within. then it is healthy for both the sexes to protect their chastity.
abuayisha View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Muslim
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abuayisha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 April 2013 at 7:00pm
Senior  Member
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Browne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 November 2012 at 6:38am
W.S., yes I read her initial post, although that was a couple of months ago, I think.

Irshad Manji's ideas should be discussed in a separate threat. I just finished reading here 2004 book. Very impressive.

What exactly lies within the scope of the 'basic meanings of the Quran'? But that might be a different discussion too.

I agree with Abu Loren, this thread is about the hijab. But it shouldn't be closed.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 13>
  Share Topic