IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Interfaith Dialogue
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Islam, is it a culture or a religion?  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Islam, is it a culture or a religion?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 10>
Author
Senior  Member
Male Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote honeto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2012 at 6:19pm
Islam is a religion, people of different cultures adopt it. It changes their way of life depending how much they let it to shape their lives thus showing the varieties we see just like people who follow any other religion.
Remember, people will be people different from one another, the religion, Islam, always remain same and so does it's teachings.
Hasan
The friends of God will certainly have nothing to fear, nor will they be grieved. Al Quran 10:62

Caringheart View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caringheart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2012 at 7:55pm
Originally posted by honeto honeto wrote:

Islam is a religion, people of different cultures adopt it. It changes their way of life depending how much they let it to shape their lives thus showing the varieties we see just like people who follow any other religion.
Remember, people will be people different from one another, the religion, Islam, always remain same and so does it's teachings.
Hasan

You must not have seen my most recent post on the thread 'Infidels'. Smile
Matt Browne View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Browne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2012 at 4:06am
Hasan, so you agree that the Sharia is optional?

A religion that's intolerant of other religions can't be the world's best religion --Abdel Samad
Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people--Eleanor Roosevelt
honeto View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote honeto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 August 2012 at 4:50pm
Originally posted by Matt Browne Matt Browne wrote:

Hasan, so you agree that the Sharia is optional?

Matt,
no I did not say that.
Hasan
The friends of God will certainly have nothing to fear, nor will they be grieved. Al Quran 10:62

Reepicheep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reepicheep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 August 2012 at 12:44pm
Abu Loren wrote: I know many many many many Christians who will only grace the footsteps of a church on Christmas Eve, after getting drunk and out of their minds.

Abu Loren, I asked you almost two weeks ago to provide us with more details on these "many many many many Christians" that you claim to know, who "only grace the footsteps of a church on Christmas Eve, after getting drunk and out of their minds".   Since you have failed to provide us with any further information, I think we have no choice but to assume that you were lying when you made that statement.

If, in fact, you weren't lying, then once again I ask you to provide us with as many details as you can recall about these many, many, many, many drunken, out of their minds, Christians.

Since you choose to remain silent and refuse to either confirm or deny the accuracy of your statement, for the remainder of this post I'll assume you deliberately lied when you made your claim.

As a muslim, you believe that, on the Day of Judgement, you will have to stand before God and defend the life you lived.  Your above statement about Christians is (I believe) an example of a time during your life where you told a lie.

As a muslim, do you believe that your lie is a sin for which you will be punished on the day of judgement?  Or, alternatively, do you believe that, by telling this lie, you were committing a righteous act for which you will be richly rewarded on the day of judgement?
Al Saadiqeen21 View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Al Saadiqeen21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 August 2012 at 11:27am
Originally posted by abjad abjad wrote:

Originally posted by Caringheart Caringheart wrote:

As I am reading tonight I have some thoughts.  I don't know how well to express them.  (I am not at home on my own computer so not as easy to hold a thought Tongue)
So anyway, just so I don't forget altogether I thought I would at least post the question that is in my mind.

Islam, is it a culture or is it a religion?  (or a regime?... I feel I have to ask that too)

The reason this question comes to my mind is because when I think of the people who are joining Islam... I believe it is the culture that attracts them.  I believe the Muslim people live in a way that has been missing in the world ever since the 1960's, and the drifting away from strongly held values, that we have seen change and alter the world, and not in good ways.  I believe we are seeing the bad fruits of drifting away from those values, while the Muslims, which came later, are still holding to those values.  I think we see something in them that we miss in our own society.

But I do not think the religion and the culture are one and the same.
I see a great deal of confusion in the religion, though the culture is attractive.
And though the culture is attractive, because the religion is not clear, it can also be dangerous.

I don't know if that really says what I am trying to express, but I gave it a shot.  I may add or change later.

But I would love any feedback.
Heart

Deen Islam.

a religion.

In red above, try to twist your mind and think to others parallel to your writings.

Are you taking about ISLAM or Muslims?

Islam is a way of life .
Idil View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Idil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 October 2012 at 2:05pm
Asalamu Calykum,

Islam with a doubt is a religion. I can understand where your confusion might come from. Nowadays, especially in Muslim countries the two are inseparable. However, if you analyse the cultures that are wide spread in many muslim countries you will see in them many deficiencies and unjust. Especially there is great bias towards women. On the other hand, Islam is perfect and just and treats everyone equal as God is the Most Just. For this reason, as a born muslim who comes from a crooked culture I love Islam and for this reason the two are in no way the same. Hope this helps in clarifying things for you.
truthnowcome View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote truthnowcome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 October 2012 at 12:57am
Originally posted by Caringheart Caringheart wrote:

As I am reading tonight I have some thoughts.  I don't know how well to express them.  (I am not at home on my own computer so not as easy to hold a thought Tongue)
So anyway, just so I don't forget altogether I thought I would at least post the question that is in my mind.

Islam, is it a culture or is it a religion?  (or a regime?... I feel I have to ask that too)

The reason this question comes to my mind is because when I think of the people who are joining Islam... I believe it is the culture that attracts them.  I believe the Muslim people live in a way that has been missing in the world ever since the 1960's, and the drifting away from strongly held values, that we have seen change and alter the world, and not in good ways.  I believe we are seeing the bad fruits of drifting away from those values, while the Muslims, which came later, are still holding to those values.  I think we see something in them that we miss in our own society.

But I do not think the religion and the culture are one and the same.
I see a great deal of confusion in the religion, though the culture is attractive.
And though the culture is attractive, because the religion is not clear, it can also be dangerous.

I don't know if that really says what I am trying to express, but I gave it a shot.  I may add or change later.

But I would love any feedback.
Heart

<>

Peace!

Caringheart, don�t get caught up with english�s words! The word �religion� was created to devide people as of religion and states. What is religion is really a system of govenance, which includes laws, and culture is part of the law sent by God to various nations to live by.

Allah (S) said: �For We assuredly sent amongst every People an apostle, (with the Command), "Serve Allah, and eschew Evil": of the People were some whom Allah guided, and some on whom error became inevitably (established). So travel through the earth, and see what was the end of those who denied (the Truth).� (Qur.16:36); and �We sent not an apostle except (to teach) in the language of his (own) people, in order to make (things) clear to them. Now Allah leaves straying those whom He pleases and guides whom He pleases: and He is Exalted in power, full of Wisdom�.� (Qur.14:4)

The religion you are following is manmade, it a set of law creat by man to live by; they took from other religions and add there own idea and made up there own religion KNOWN AS CAPTILASM and they creates and promoting their culture true the music industry:

(Part 1)https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXG2du8nowc

(2) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tmp7zXCM_Ms&feature=channel&list=UL

(3) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltdN5U8C_gM&feature=related

The word �religion� is a mistranslation of the word �Deen� which means �a complete way of life�.

Allah (S) said: This day have I perfected your religion for you, completed My favour upon you, and have chosen for you Islam as your religion. (Q.5:3)

If we put the correct translation instead of religion and Islam we will have this:

This day have I perfected your way of life for you, completed My favour upon you, and have chosen for you submit to my will as your way of life. (Q.5:3)

That way of life includes laws to govern in all aspect of human life which cultured is part of it:

�Blessed is He who sent down the Criterion (of judgment between right and wrong) to His Servant, that it may be an admonition to all creatures.� (Q.25:1)

Thus have We revealed it (the Qur�an) to be a judgment of authority in Arabic (Q.13:37)

TNC

LET'S SET THE RECORD STRAIGHT ONCE AND FOR ALL...NO MORE LIES!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 10>
  Share Topic