IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > General Islamic Matter
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Alaska, one of the best places for muslims to live  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Alaska, one of the best places for muslims to live

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Alaska, one of the best places for muslims to live
    Posted: 24 June 2012 at 2:42am

Assalaamoalaikum.  I have been living in alaska for almost a month now.  I just found out that my job will extend my contract to work here until October.  So therefore, I will have to fast for Ramadan in Alaska, inshAllah.  Currently, Maghrib comes in at 1130pm and isha at 1245am.  Fajr 315am.  Ok. I work alot of hours, and I have only attended the masjid once here.  I know that there are two mosque here.  One mosque follows mecca timing with prayers.  And the other mosque which I like to attend more in the future make prayer based on the alaska timing.  So therefore, I pray Maghrib at 1130pm and fajr at 315am.  Al hamduallah, it will be more challenging for me to fast during Ramadan while living in Alaska. 

My question is does anyone know the islamic reasonings for following mecca timing for prayers and fasting?
abuayisha View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Muslim
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abuayisha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2012 at 7:06pm
lady View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2012 at 6:09am
Assalaamoalaikum. thanks so much for this website.  It was really informative and I have already shared this knowledge with some people.  May Allah (SWT) continue to bless you in many ways, and continue to place on your heart to give dawah. 
Smile
lady
W.S. View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W.S. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2012 at 6:04am
Excuse me lady, but when do you sleep?
lady View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2012 at 10:56pm
hahah.  hush
I work night shift, so I am used to sleeping when there is light outside.  But most alaskans have dark curtains on their window. Really, Alaska is the best place to live in america for muslims or for all people.  You do not need a car to get around in alaska.   You can ride a bike or walk.  There are bike trails in the jungle and they have wide sidewalks also for easy walking and riding the bike.  People are laid back here, and the trees, and mountains are too beautiful.  I look outside of my window, and I see nothing but huge mountains and trees. 
 I really do love the alaskan people. They are too friendly and they seem to be more educated about other people's culture.  I know that I am here when the weather is perfect and I will be leaving in october which would be at the beginning of the cold weather. But for right now, I have no complaints.  It is hard to get used to seeing moose. And I am too scared of the bears, but I have been forntunate enough to not see them YET.  Smile  It is just strange that sometimes there are signs posted on the entrance of the hospital's door stating that a bear was sighted in the area..... so be care...
You know how people are so happy to have signs posted, "american pride?"  If there are any signs I see that says "alaskan pride," then I definetely will be buying a couple of them. 
Smile

Edited by lady - 02 July 2012 at 10:58pm
abuayisha View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Muslim
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abuayisha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2012 at 10:38pm
W.S. View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W.S. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 July 2012 at 7:32am
Originally posted by lady lady wrote:

hahah. hush
I work night shift, so I am used to sleeping when there is light outside. But most alaskans have dark curtains on their window. Really, Alaska is the best place to live in america for muslims or for all people.
That explains it. But what if you would have been working by day? Where I live in Sweden, this time of year the sun goes up just before 4am and it goes down just after 10pm, so that's a little more than 18 hours. I looked at a website that had info about hours of daylight in Alaska, and it would seem that you have about the same crazy number of hours of daylight that I have. How a skinny guy like me with a sweaty job is supposed to be able to fast in this heat for so many hours, I do not know.
Edit: It's not that I don't want to fast, it's just that I wonder if I will be able to do it, and I worry. Will I be able to do my job properly?

You do not need a car to get around in alaska. You can ride a bike or walk. There are bike trails in the jungle and they have wide sidewalks also for easy walking and riding the bike. People are laid back here, and the trees, and mountains are too beautiful. I look outside of my window, and I see nothing but huge mountains and trees.
Wonderful!

I really do love the alaskan people. They are too friendly and they seem to be more educated about other people's culture.

Since Americans in general aren't necessarily famous for being extremely knowledgeable about other cultures, that must be very nice for you.

I know that I am here when the weather is perfect and I will be leaving in october which would be at the beginning of the cold weather. But for right now, I have no complaints. It is hard to get used to seeing moose. And I am too scared of the bears, but I have been forntunate enough to not see them YET. Smile It is just strange that sometimes there are signs posted on the entrance of the hospital's door stating that a bear was sighted in the area..... so be care...

The possibility of a bear showing up should add some excitement to your daily life, and should be seen as something positive, right? It probably won't happen... but it might Cool

You know how people are so happy to have signs posted, "american pride?" If there are any signs I see that says "alaskan pride," then I definetely will be buying a couple of them.
Smile

I watched a documentary two nights ago about immigrants in the US. getting their American citizenship, with ceremonies and everything, and there was a young Muslim woman from Jordan who wanted to go to Alaska for some reason. Maybe there's just something about that place Wink

Edited by W.S. - 06 July 2012 at 5:12am
lady View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2012 at 3:11am
Abuayesha, that door is the door that I enter and exit for work.Smile
Thanks for the video. That day, the hospital personel posted a sign on the door that read, "moose sighting in the area, be careful..."

Assalaaamoaalikum W.S.  Yes, you are right, the fasting hours seem long to us. Smile  Even if you are skinning and work a difficult job, you are still obligated to fast for the length of time required for you.  Read thoroughly what Abuayesha posted here.  Even if people work during the day, I am sure that they sleep after Isha, and then set their alarm for fajr prayer. Smile

About the documentary, there are alot of arabs here in Alaska.   I am sure that this Jordanian lady had some friends or family here.  Most people come here for the people and the scenery.  Mainly they like the idea of living without a car, and biking everywhere.  There is a girl I met at work that said the only reason she came here is to be a professional biker.  Smile
I really have no complaints about this place. It seems that I fall in love with this place more and more each day.  I just found out two days ago that pizza is delivered for 24 hours a day.  That is too strange. 
The food here is wonderful.  I am not a huge meat eater, but it is also strange that the people here eat Moose.  I heard that it is not halaal meat. I will find out more about this later, because if not then I want to make sure that I can at least eat it before I leave Alaska.SmileSmile
I really like the idea that some people are chosing not to have running water, or electricity in their homes.   I really like that idea. They usually live in beautiful simple cabins. 
What is surprising here is that the native americans I see are homeless or drunks.  And this makes me sad.  I asked some of my coworkers about them, and they that the reason for this is because the goverment gives them alot of money for their land that they stole many years ago. Also too the government is using their land for oil.  So they are getting paid for that as well.    I disagree with this explanation.    I did not have the opportunity to ask a native american about this. 
Even the people look different here.  Alot of the women look like men here.  Sorry, I hope not to offend any one.  But this is the truth. They talk and walk like a man, and they even have aggressive manly mannerisms.  I can not say most of them because this is not fair, but there are few I see that have mannerisms like a woman.  There are alot of phillipinos here and I noticed that I say in my mind quietly, "wow, you are behaving like a woman." haha
I live 11 hours by plane away from my family now.   But I would really love to live here forever in the future. This is shocking to me because I am close to my family.   If you come to America for a visit then you must make a visit to Alaska.  Smile

P.S. One of my coworkers  invited me to go with her on a helicopter ride and  to do many other things with her and her friends.    I had to refused because I had to work.  My coworker travels as a RN like me.  Anyway, what was interesting is that during one of her sight seeings she was talking to another lady.  And that lady invited them to her family's guest house.  And my friend said that their house was strange beause there was so many stuff dead animals on the walls, and everywhere.  Even to the point that they were hanging from the banisters of the stairs. So that lady who invited them was talking about her family.  She started  naming the people in her family from one of the photos that was hanging on the wall. And one of those photos she pointed to her sister Sarah.  Then an hour went by, and my friend kept hearing this lady say Sarah, her sister,....... Then my friend finally said, "you are not talking about Sarah Palin are you?" And that lady said "yes she is my sister." haha
So I asked my friend, well how was Sarah's sister. She said she was so polite and down to earth, and laid back.  Just like the rest of the alaskans.  Smile

Edited by lady - 11 July 2012 at 3:59am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic