IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Regional > Middle East
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Anyone from Saudi?  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Anyone from Saudi?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Anyone from Saudi?
    Posted: 08 April 2012 at 4:04pm

Assalaamaoalaikum everyone.  I hope to travel soon to Saudi in six months to live.    Every since I have been speaking with different people, they told me about how life was for them as a foreignor living in Saudi.  The Americans say that they are paid well there, and treated with respect.  But when I talk to people who lived there that were not Americans at the time of their stay in Saudi, then they say their pay in Saudi was terrible for them if they were not Americans, British, etc.  My question for anyone who is a Sudian is :

do you know why this form of racism is practiced in your country? 

I also heard alot that you can smell the arrogance in the air when you arrive in Saudi? The people who I talked to were fifteen in total, and fourteen of them lived in Saudi.  The fourteen people lived in Saudi for 2-8 years.   One lived in Dubai for 4 years., but the response was still the same.  I did not tell any of them what the others discussed with me until they revealed to me about the arrogance coming from the Saudis.  But they still said that they loved living there as well. Smile

I did have one friend from Saudi, but I lost her her contact information.  Cry
I found her to be really nice, gentle, etc.
If this arrogance is true about the Saudis, then this is shocking to me because Saudi is a muslim country. 
Sign*Reader View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sign*Reader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2012 at 10:32pm
Originally posted by lady lady wrote:

If this arrogance is true about the Saudis, then this is shocking to me because Saudi is a muslim country. 

I doubt any one can respond to this issue from Saudi Arabia! With Wahabi Islamist Saudis can do no wrong cuz it is Uncle Sam's neo colony...
Just step back and think how many places that have a ruling family name  attached to the country's name?

Not one!
Quite arrogant by itself...

There is very interesting history behind all that.

Edited by Sign*Reader - 09 April 2012 at 11:39am
Kismet Domino: Faith/Courage/Liberty/Abundance/Selfishness/Immorality/Apathy/Bondage or extinction.
abuayisha View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Muslim
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abuayisha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 April 2012 at 10:13am
abuayisha View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Muslim
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abuayisha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 April 2012 at 10:56am

Lady I am not Saudi, but having spent a great deal of time in the Gulf, I think the opinions you've received are common to the region.  With respect to salary, in my opinion, it has little to do with "respect" and more to do with business.  If the Saudi government or private sector knows that a teacher in India makes equivalent to $100 monthly, they will contract that Indian teacher at let's say,  $300 monthly,  to work in Saudi.  The Indian teacher has agreed to this contract and is happy.  Likewise, if an American teachers makes $3,000 monthly in America, her contract in Saudi will likely have a comparable or greater salary, along with housing, transportation allowance and tickets in order to attract the American teacher.  Thus, one would not reasonably expect,  from a business perspective,  for Saudi to pay an Indian teacher from India $3,000, nor an American teacher $300.

With respect to the criticism of arrogance leveled against the Saudi people our Prophet (saw) has defined arrogance as rejection of truth and belittling people - looking down of people, or thinking you are better than people.  This unfortunately is a general problem and characteristic of mankind which we all must struggle against.  Saudi is a tribal society and I often think tribalistic mannerisms are confused or interpreted by outsiders as arrogance.  Anyway, at the end of the day when living in a country that is not our homeland, even though it is a Muslim country, we must prepare ourselves for a cultural awakening and a new experience.  So when packing your bags remember to bring along plenty of patience and forget about how things are done back home in America.  Saudi is not America.  Please remember to make du'a for me when you make umrah, and I wish you all the best.

Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sign*Reader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 April 2012 at 1:07pm
Originally posted by abuayisha abuayisha wrote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_named_after_people

Some quandaries have popped up...
How many can be qualified as "Muslim" countries on the list?
How many were established by eliminating the people of the same religion?
How many are still ruled by the family that established that name?

Edited by Sign*Reader - 09 April 2012 at 1:09pm
Kismet Domino: Faith/Courage/Liberty/Abundance/Selfishness/Immorality/Apathy/Bondage or extinction.
abuayisha View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Muslim
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abuayisha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 April 2012 at 1:59pm
Well in keeping with our sister's query about arrogance, and for the sake of argument, even if naming a country Saudi indicates arrogance, which is certainly an opinion, would it not have been arrogance only in the 1930's upon its founding/naming?  Perhaps subsequent generations deemed it problematic to change the name for a myriad of reasons.  Saudi Arabia is also referred to as "the Land of the Two Holy Mosques" and the Arabian Peninsula by the Saudis themselves. I just think it's a bit unfair to suggest simply based upon a country's name alone would somehow indicate that its inhabitants are arrogant.

Edited by abuayisha - 09 April 2012 at 2:02pm
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sign*Reader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 April 2012 at 8:47pm
Originally posted by abuayisha abuayisha wrote:

Lady I am not Saudi, but having spent a great deal of time in the Gulf, I think the opinions you've received are common to the region.  With respect to salary, in my opinion, it has little to do with "respect" and more to do with business.  If the Saudi government or private sector knows that a teacher in India makes equivalent to $100 monthly, they will contract that Indian teacher at let's say,  $300 monthly,  to work in Saudi.  The Indian teacher has agreed to this contract and is happy.  Likewise, if an American teachers makes $3,000 monthly in America, her contract in Saudi will likely have a comparable or greater salary, along with housing, transportation allowance and tickets in order to attract the American teacher.  Thus, one would not reasonably expect,  from a business perspective,  for Saudi to pay an Indian teacher from India $3,000, nor an American teacher $300.

Does anyone think this argument will hold water in any independent lawful society? Or for that matter in a truly independent Islamic court of law if there was one?

The answer will be resounding no. I know none of us can make a change there but justifying with hypothetical smack dab of hypocrisy, one has call spade as spade! With this attitude what the Muslims migrating to west are left with west to stand for? The money part is one thing but the treatment by the police state is another.
The indentured coolies of the British Indians origin in South Africa were also contracted! They could not travel from one city to another just like KSA or vice versa.

For the Americans(white) it is a land of country clubs or Palm Springs, all paid for doing zilch and endless partying to boot! They are demigods to them.

Quote With respect to the criticism of arrogance leveled against the Saudi people our Prophet (saw) has defined arrogance as rejection of truth and belittling people - looking down of people, or thinking you are better than people.  This unfortunately is a general problem and characteristic of mankind which we all must struggle against.  Saudi is a tribal society and I often think tribalistic mannerisms are confused or interpreted by outsiders as arrogance.  Anyway, at the end of the day when living in a country that is not our homeland, even though it is a Muslim country, we must prepare ourselves for a cultural awakening and a new experience.  So when packing your bags remember to bring along plenty of patience and forget about how things are done back home in America.  Saudi is not America.  Please remember to make du'a for me when you make umrah, and I wish you all the best.

Saudi Arabia is better than home for the smart Americans who would like  a fat retirement account while having a good time tax free. It works for the indentured labor too if they go back to their homelands with some savings, it may not be that great if they decide to follow Americans to the land of free.
Anyways no one can beat the Americans or some of the other NATO member aka as old colonial masters. The Saudis couldn't be considered as candidates for the arrogance list before the six days war based on the tribalism tendencies. It is a case of nou- veau- riche disease and American MIC umbrella no more no less. Remember during six days war the price of oil was somewhere in mid teens and there wasn't a lot for the Saudis to brag about while the specter of Soviets hanging over near by! But with prices pegged to the dollar and Uncle Sam's spending out of control with printing press churning dollars full speed, Obama being clueless about energy policy gives Saudis ever more arrogance. The Standard Oil did a great job in creating this symbiotic relationship and then MIC took over and created a masterful police state with complete bells and whistles... Clap
Most Arrogant Nations List

Edited by Sign*Reader - 09 April 2012 at 8:54pm
abuayisha View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Muslim
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abuayisha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 April 2012 at 12:33pm
Well Sign, I can only say it's business and not personal.  As you well know, most American manufacturing jobs have moved overseas leaving blue collar - middle class workers in a state of shock scrambling into junior colleges for re-training.  And where can you find a more "independent lawful society" than the US?  Why pay $20 an hour, healthcare, vacation, etc...when you can pay $4 a day?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic