IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Discussion
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - What about music???  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What about music???

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Matt Browne View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Browne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What about music???
    Posted: 11 September 2012 at 3:59am
Chrysalis, I hope you don't imply that the practice of Christianity is restricted to attending Sunday services. In fact, we can decide whether to pray one time or ten times a day and the prayer involves free will and creativity in our personal conversation with God (not just the mechanical repetition of a predefined texts).

I also noted that you emphasized that it's the 'little things' that brings Muslims together. This is one aspect I find so troubling about Islam. It's all about the Ummah and bringing Muslims together. This approach divides humanity. I have no problem with big things. The birth of Christ brings Christians together. The Lord's Supper brings Christians together. But there are thousands of little things in daily life. If they all are about Islam, how much time is left to interact with the rest of humanity? If religion gets involved in every minute of our lives, it becomes an obsession. When we conduct scientific research this has nothing to do with Islam or Christianity, except perhaps the motivation that we should use our intellect to unravel the mysteries of the world. Science can unity us, therefore I am strictly against the absurd notion of Islamic science or Christian science. There is only one science. And it's universal. And a lot of things in daily life are universal too. A smile is universal. Empathy is universal. Toothbrushes are universal. Even the basic building blocks of music are universal tied to the architecture of our brains.

And now I'm asking you: What do you think about Bach's Brandenburg concertos and the songs of the Beatles such as 'Yesterday'?

Edited by Matt Browne - 11 September 2012 at 4:00am
A religion that's intolerant of other religions can't be the world's best religion --Abdel Samad
Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people--Eleanor Roosevelt
Ron Webb View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male atheist
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron Webb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 August 2012 at 7:16pm

Originally posted by Chrysalis Chrysalis wrote:

If we choose to spend every minute of our life according to Islamic principles, so what? Yes, We pray 5 times a day, sometimes more. We have ''prayers'' for everything from looking into the mirror to wearing clothes. Things that may seem ''strict & orthodox'' to you, seem beautiful to me. We do it out of our own free-will and choice.

What do you mean by "free will"?  Do you truly have a choice, if all your choices are dictated by your religion?  I mean, what if you actually like music, just for its own sake?  Why can't you freely choose something just for your own enjoyment, even if it is "outside the scope of religion"?

Addeenul �Aql � Religion is intellect.
Chrysalis View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chrysalis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 August 2012 at 12:47pm
Originally posted by Matt Browne Matt Browne wrote:

That depends on how you define the scope of your religion.

There is nothing in a muslim's life that is outside the scope of religion. Islam is a lifestyle not restricted to a weekly sunday-service. Even if a muslim uses the washroom with correct etiquette, it becomes an act of worship.

Quote Some Muslims refuse to use tooth brushes and tooth paste and use wood to clean their teeth just like prophet Muhammad did.  Now is cleaning your teeth trivial or not? Should religion focus on this or should it focus on how 7 billion people on a small planet can get along with each other?

I know many Muslims who use a ''miswaak'' but have no issues with modern-day toothpaste. They use modern-day toothbrushes as well as the traditional miswaak during wudhu (ablution).

I don't think dental hygiene is trivial at all. I find it amazing that our religion teaches us dental hygiene as part of religion. Prophet Muhammad (s.a.w) said that had he not feared inconvenience for us, he would have made it compulsory for us to brush our teeth in every ablution (wudhu). By making miswaak sunnah, Islam makes brushing our teeth an act of worship, hence rewardworthy, hence motivating muslims to make it a daily regiment. Maybe that's the reason Muslims had all their teeth when non-muslim westerners were using wooden dentures in their youth ;)

The Miswaak is just one example. Islam makes eating, drinking, earning, sex, everything a part of religion.

Also, I don't see how addressing issues such as music, hygiene etc means that Islam cannot or does not focus on issues like bringing 7 billion people together? Religion is not a ''person'' that can only focus on one thing at a time... Religion should/can address everything.

In fact, it is attention to detail and ''little things'' that brings muslims together. Billions of Muslims around the world pray the same way, have the same dietary laws, fast at the same time etc. Things that you term trivial actually brings muslims together and despite having cultural and geographical differences, we still have a sense of togetherness because of shared rituals and values.

Quote The problem of strict orthodox Islam is that it tries to get involved into every minute of a devout Muslim's life and require obedience even if it doesn't make sense in the 21st century.

Just because things don't make sense to you in the 21st century, doesn't mean they don't make sense to the people who follow them. I understand that for many non-muslim men, getting married in their early 20s wouldn't make sense these days... but it makes sense to practicing Muslims. (and many Jews and Christians too I think). For many young girls, covering up and dressing modestly wouldn't make sense... but for others it does. Don't try to trivialise other's principles and values just because you don't understand them.

If we choose to spend every minute of our life according to Islamic principles, so what? Yes, We pray 5 times a day, sometimes more. We have ''prayers'' for everything from looking into the mirror to wearing clothes. Things that may seem ''strict & orthodox'' to you, seem beautiful to me. We do it out of our own free-will and choice.

In an image-conscious, superficial world, every time a Muslim looks into the mirror, he/she is supposed to say ""O Allah, just as You have made my external features beautiful, make my character beautiful as well''. I find that refreshing! ''Little things'' like this remind you and re-focus your mind on whats important.

Quote Just out of curiosity, does Islam encourage or discourage Bach's Brandenburg concertos? What about the Beatles?

Now THAT issue to me is trivial ;). Does it matter what Islam has to say about Bach's concertos or the Beatles? trivial stuff.

Edited by Chrysalis - 28 August 2012 at 12:50pm
"O Lord, forgive me, my parents and Muslims in the Hereafter. O Lord, show mercy on them as they showed mercy to me when I was young."
Caringheart View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caringheart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 August 2012 at 9:39pm
Originally posted by honeto honeto wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCwtpNgFw5g
Hasan

It is indeed beautiful and moving.
I hope the message is just as beautiful.
Caringheart View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caringheart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 August 2012 at 3:43pm
No one ever answered my questions about David and the Zabur, and what it says in the Zabur...

Psalm 98, Psalm 100, and Psalm 147

"What does the Qur'an say, if anything, about David who wrote the zabur?"

Thanks.

Edited by Caringheart - 15 August 2012 at 3:44pm
honeto View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote honeto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2012 at 3:04pm
Its like asking can a basketball player text while playing?
There are too many things involved. Music artist are often treated as idols that creates a conflict of belief. Often, the contents of their music are objectionable, unknown. Those artists taken as idols, them and their lives are sometimes not good moral examples thus creating a conflict. How can you listen and admire someone for their music when they are at odds with your belief of what is good and what is bad. List is long but I hope the point is made. We can find all excuses and ways to please ourselves and keep progressing in it with time always taking a step further by turning unlawful into lawful, but a believer by heart and mind find ways to please his maker consistently while enjoying what is made lawful for him. Does it come at some price? Yes. Does it please everyone else? No. Does it make him look idle and unwilling to compromise? Yes. That's just a good believer.

My two cents.

Hasan

Edited by honeto - 13 August 2012 at 3:25pm
The friends of God will certainly have nothing to fear, nor will they be grieved. Al Quran 10:62

Matt Browne View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Browne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 August 2012 at 4:00am
Originally posted by Chrysalis Chrysalis wrote:

If Religion is getting involved in something, that means its not trivial. Like you said, Music can inspire us to do things... I am sure there is wisdom behind Islam discouraging certain types of music.

That depends on how you define the scope of your religion. Some Muslims refuse to use tooth brushes and tooth paste and use wood to clean their teeth just like prophet Muhammad did. Now is cleaning your teeth trivial or not? Should religion focus on this or should it focus on how 7 billion people on a small planet can get along with each other? And how everyone can live a decent life instead of poverty? The problem of strict orthodox Islam is that it tries to get involved into every minute of a devout Muslim's life and require obedience even if it doesn't make sense in the 21st century.

I totally agree with you that there is horrible music out there which is totally dumb, disgusting and mind-numbing. I discourage this and if Islam discourages that too, that's fine with me. Just out of curiosity, does Islam encourage or discourage Bach's Brandenburg concertos? What about the Beatles?

Edited by Matt Browne - 12 August 2012 at 4:01am
A religion that's intolerant of other religions can't be the world's best religion --Abdel Samad
Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people--Eleanor Roosevelt
honeto View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote honeto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 August 2012 at 11:12am
Originally posted by Caringheart Caringheart wrote:

Originally posted by honeto honeto wrote:

Caringheart,
I see in your post above the proof that you are not here really to learn, but to offend others and put their belief down and that is a shame. I hope you seek guidance and not preach what you cannot practice.

As for the subject, let us first try to understand what one means by music. I have in my last post gave some input, but I guess more is needed.
Music may mean different things to different people depending their cultural background. For example, here in the West when people hear the Adhan (Muslim call for prayer) or Tilawah (recitation of the Quran) they consider it music. In an Islamic country people may not refer to the same a music. There they consider things like pop,rock and roll, rap, country songs as music.
So there is a difference in music, we need to be specific when we say which is allowed and which is not.
Praising God in a beautiful tone with a rhythm is part of Islam, you want to call it music others want to call it Praise, chant, Tilawah and so on. Of course God loves such act.
73:4 ... and recite the Qur'an in slow, measured rhythmic tones.
What you are describing as music (music unto the Lord), a Muslim like myself do it at least twenty times, a day or more when we recite Sura Faatiha in our daily five Salats.

Just listen to it, and tell me, isn't it a beautiful recital? music? and this brother's voice is just so beautiful, praise God.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCwtpNgFw5g

Note that there is no instrument used, you know why because instruments are used to enhance what one is saying. Here the power of word of God and its beauty need no support or enhancement from any instrument. The power of the word is in it purity without any additives.

I hope my explanation was of some help.
Hasan

I am sorry Hasan to hear that you take offense at me sharing something about myself. [IMG]smileys/smiley6.gif" align="absmiddle" alt="Unhappy" />
"I do not come to be a stumbling block to anyone who may belong to God, and so, by all means, if you feel that music will lead you away from God then you should stay away from music. I only find that it draws me near... and because I only listen to music that is honoring to God."
I did specify what music I felt was acceptable and what was not.
"I only listen to music that is honoring to God."
"I believe it matters what kind of music we are talking about... what kind of music you listen to.� There is much music in the world that is not helpful and leading away from God.� But there is much music that worships and honors God... guiding the thoughts to God and Father.
If the music cleanses the soul it is good for the soul.� If the music feeds the flesh it is death for the soul. - C. Lynn"
________________________________________"What you are describing as music (music unto the Lord), a Muslim like myself do it at least twenty times, a day or more when we recite Sura Faatiha in our daily five Salats. "I have never disputed this fact.
"Just listen to it, and tell me, isn't it a beautiful recital? music? and this brother's voice is just so beautiful, praise God.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCwtpNgFw5g "
Thank you for reminding me... I never did get to a computer where I could listen to the link you sent me once before.� I will try to do that today, as I think time and health will allow it today.� [IMG]smileys/smiley1.gif" align="absmiddle" alt="Smile" />It is always best to send me links, or references, in private message.� This way I do not lose track of them when I am at a computer where I can look at them. You did not need to explain yourself.� I have understood what you say.[IMG]smileys/smiley27.gif" align="absmiddle" alt="Heart" />

Caringheart,
I think there is nothing wrong with music of praising God lifting your spirit. If you read my post, it depends what people describe as music. Like I have said, Adhan, and recitation of Quran is done in a balanced tones with rhythm, and is considered music by out siders, no instrument needed!
Hasan

Edited by honeto - 11 August 2012 at 11:14am
The friends of God will certainly have nothing to fear, nor will they be grieved. Al Quran 10:62

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
  Share Topic