IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Islam for non-Muslims
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Sacred Texts  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Sacred Texts

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Starter
Starter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WilliamEisen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sacred Texts
    Posted: 14 February 2012 at 2:32am
Hello I have joined this forum for the purpose of learning. I am doing an assignment on Sacred Texts and would graciously appreciate if you could answer some questions for me so I can learn from this for my religion studies. I have prepared six questions. The first question is
Q1 How often do you use the Qur'an and for what purposes?
Q2 What so you see as being the most value in the Qur'an?
Q3 What knowledge do you have of the Christian Bible? Do you think there is anything in common between the Qur'an and the Bible?
Q4 The teaching and stories of the Qur'an are communicated via many different methods including symbolism, music and metaphorical interpretations of stories. Do you agree with these methods and what are your thoughts on this?
Q5 Does the Qur'an play a significant role in forming the identity of Muslims?
Q6 Do you believe that the Qur'an is the 'final word' on the will of God or can it be changed or altered?

semar View Drop Down
Male Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote semar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 February 2012 at 9:09pm
Hi Bill. Welcome.

Regarding your question, mine on red.

Originally posted by WilliamEisen WilliamEisen wrote:

Hello I have joined this forum for the purpose of learning. I am doing an assignment on Sacred Texts and would graciously appreciate if you could answer some questions for me so I can learn from this for my religion studies. I have prepared six questions. The first question is
Read daily. Find guidance, wisdom and peace.
Wisdom.
Q3 What knowledge do you have of the Christian Bible?
Contenct some of Jesus's teaching.
Do you think there is anything in common between the Qur'an and the Bible?
Yes many common between both, such as about moral value, about some prophet history.
Q4 The teaching and stories of the Qur'an are communicated via many different methods including symbolism, music and metaphorical interpretations of stories. Do you agree with these methods and what are your thoughts on this?
I agree all of them. We can communicate Qur'an on many different way depend on the audience. If the audience like music (song), will be easier via song etc. 
Q5 Does the Qur'an play a significant role in forming the identity of Muslims?
Muslim being humble, Muslim love to do charity, Muslim care their old parent, Muslim care their children, Muslim nice to their neighbor, Muslim work hard etc, they do that because Qur'an ask them to that, not just instinct. You might will argue that non believer also do the similar things. Yes, however in normal condition anybody can do this, however in the difficult situation (such as no job, no money, or any other problem), the believer can control themselves better, because remember about the teaching of the scripture.
Q6 Do you believe that the Qur'an is the 'final word' on the will of God or can it be changed or altered?
Yes I do. No it can not be altered because God told us in the Qur'an, that he himself will protect the Qur'an. Perhaps God do that by make it easy to be memorized, lovely rhyme etc.

Salam/Peace,

Semar

"We are people who do not eat until we are hungry and do not eat to our fill." (Prophet Muhammad PBUH)

"1/3 of your stomach for food, 1/3 for water, 1/3 for air"
WilliamEisen View Drop Down
Starter
Starter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WilliamEisen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 February 2012 at 10:54pm
Thank you for your reply. I appreciate it very much and am grateful that we learn about other sacred texts which then allows us to have a much greater appreciation and understanding of others.
docbro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote docbro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 February 2012 at 10:03am
Hello William

http://www.missionislam.com/knowledge/truejesus.htm
http://onlydeenislam.wordpress.com/2011/01/21/the-qur%E2%80%99an-the-word-of-god/
Chrysalis View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chrysalis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 February 2012 at 11:49pm
Originally posted by WilliamEisen WilliamEisen wrote:

Not as often as I'd like to. Ideally I would like to read it daily or atleast weekly. However I find myself referring to it the most when I have questions, or feel down.

The fact that for us Muslims the Quran is Word of God in its original form. Its like God is Speaking to you directly. For me the most valuable thing would be the Advise & Motivation straight from God, and the fact that many incidents and verses relate to our daily lives almost in every aspect. I find that most verses I come across seem relevant to things I come across & experience every day.

Quote Q3 What knowledge do you have of the Christian Bible? Do you think there is anything in common between the Qur'an and the Bible?

...That the Christian Bible was once the Original Word of God, but that it has changed over time. Yes I do believe there are many commonalities b/w the Bible & Qur�n.

Quote Q4 The teaching and stories of the Qur'an are communicated via many different methods including symbolism, music and metaphorical interpretations of stories. Do you agree with these methods and what are your thoughts on this?

I agree with different kinds of communication methods as long as they are within the permissible bounds of Islam. It is good to be creative and dynamic with our communication techniques. However interpretation should be done by (or under supervision of) qualified scholars and should be based on Islamic criteria. I don't think anyone should be able to interpret it as they like - otherwise we will have people with deviant & possibly unislamic viewpoints such as Al-Qaeda.

Quote Q5 Does the Qur'an play a significant role in forming the identity of Muslims?

Yes it does. There are many times when God uses the term ''Muslim'' and then describes the qualities and attributes that a Muslim should have. This helps create an identity for a muslim and how he/she needs to behave/be.

Quote Q6 Do you believe that the Qur'an is the 'final word' on the will of God or can it be changed or altered?

Yup, as a Muslim it  is part of my faith to believe in the finality of the Qur�n [As God's Final Word], and that it will remain unchanged and unaltered.

"O Lord, forgive me, my parents and Muslims in the Hereafter. O Lord, show mercy on them as they showed mercy to me when I was young."
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic