IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Culture & Community > Arabic Language
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Question about Past tense verbs  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Question about Past tense verbs

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Starter
Starter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote QRASoldier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Question about Past tense verbs
    Posted: 01 January 2012 at 6:24pm
I was taught that all Arabic verbs can be traced back to their 3-letter roots: فَعَلَ. We were taught that each letter (Faa, Ain, Laa) is called Faa/Ain/Laam Kaleemah or 1st/2nd/3rd Radical (western style), respectively. But there was one thing that I was confused with:

My Ustadh mentioned that the Faa Kaleemah and Laam Kaleemah ALWAYS stay as /fatha/ and don't change their vowel signs. However, when you conjugate a past tense verb to indicate that the doer of action is "more than 2 men", the third radical gets a dhammah sign on top of it. This contradicts what my teacher told me. Does his rule only apply to the masculine, singular verb scenario?
Full of Hopes View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Full of Hopes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 January 2012 at 8:32am
 Yes its because of the waw that u add to the verb n past to make it plural. 
And whoever seeks a religion other than Isl�m, it will never be accepted of him, and in the Hereafter he will be one of the losers(3:85)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic