IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Interfaith Dialogue
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - What language did Jesus speak?  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What language did Jesus speak?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bowman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What language did Jesus speak?
    Posted: 30 December 2011 at 7:44am
All,

I'm interested in hearing input regarding what language(s) Jesus knew during His lifetime....thanks!
islamispeace View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote islamispeace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 December 2011 at 3:30pm
Traditionally, it is said that Jesus (pbuh) spoke Aramaic. 
Say: "Truly, my prayer and my service of sacrifice, my life and my death, are (all) for Allah, the Cherisher of the Worlds. (Surat al-Anaam: 162)

Bowman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bowman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 December 2011 at 9:09pm
Originally posted by islamispeace islamispeace wrote:

Traditionally, it is said that Jesus (pbuh) spoke Aramaic. 

If this is the case, then why does He speak Arabic in your Koran?LOL

Trajik View Drop Down
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trajik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 December 2011 at 9:24pm
Asalamu Alaykum Bowman,

Prophet Isa "Jesus" Peace be upon him spoke Aramaic as I understand. 

Wasalam,
Anthony "Abdur Rahman" Olivas

Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote islamispeace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 January 2012 at 11:12am
Originally posted by Bowman Bowman wrote:

Well first of all, Aramaic and Arabic are sister languages.  Second of all, where does the Quran say that he spoke Arabic?  The Quran is written in the Arabic language so all the stories and quotes of the prophets would obviously be in Arabic!  Is that really so hard to understand?  Wink
Say: "Truly, my prayer and my service of sacrifice, my life and my death, are (all) for Allah, the Cherisher of the Worlds. (Surat al-Anaam: 162)

Bowman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bowman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 January 2012 at 4:11pm
Originally posted by islamispeace islamispeace wrote:

Well first of all, Aramaic and Arabic are sister languages.  Second of all, where does the Quran say that he spoke Arabic?  The Quran is written in the Arabic language so all the stories and quotes of the prophets would obviously be in Arabic!  Is that really so hard to understand?  Wink

The authors of the Koran have not only Jesus speaking in Arabic, but all the OT prophets such as Moses and Abraham, as well - even before Arabic was invented!

See the problem, brother?!

This is simply more proof that the Koran is not original, but, in fact, a second-hand copy of the original.

Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote islamispeace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 January 2012 at 7:46pm

The authors of the Koran have not only Jesus speaking in Arabic, but all the OT prophets such as Moses and Abraham, as well - even before Arabic was invented!

See the problem, brother?!

This is simply more proof that the Koran is not original, but, in fact, a second-hand copy of the original.

Again, the Quran is an Arabic book so...the narratives will be in...Arabic!  Your argument is the same as saying that an English translation of the Quran has the prophets speaking English.  It is a logical absurdity. 

You have not answered my question as to where the Quran actually says that Jesus spoke Arabic. 

Matt Browne View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Browne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 January 2012 at 8:14am
Bowman, the Quran like the Bible is in large parts not a history book describing real-life events with people conversing in certain languages. These holy texts contain spiritual truths, myths, parables, poems, and other forms of symbolic texts. As human beings Isa and the Prophet did not live at the same time. 

Edited by Matt Browne - 03 January 2012 at 8:14am
A religion that's intolerant of other religions can't be the world's best religion --Abdel Samad
Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people--Eleanor Roosevelt
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
  Share Topic