IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Discussion
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Muslim Women and 'Canadian Values'  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Muslim Women and 'Canadian Values'

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 8>
Author
Senior  Member
Muslim
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abuayisha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 January 2012 at 10:07am

Well, generally speaking our "values" should also respect a person's sense of right and wrong, as well as ensuring equal rights for all.  To deny a Muslim woman her religious right to practice her faith isn't a cultural clash, but unfair, unethical and bigoted. 

"Bans like this lead to a lose-lose situation," said Judith Sunderland, senior Western Europe researcher at Human Rights Watch. "They violate the rights of those who choose to wear the veil and do nothing to help those who are compelled to do so."

Edited by abuayisha - 24 January 2012 at 11:01am
Hayfa View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hayfa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 January 2012 at 8:17pm
Matt, I am curious, why does anyone need to see their faces?  Trust me, most of them won't really talk to you either as they tend to not want many interactions with men who they are not married to or related to.  They view their physical body/ face as a private matter. 
When you do things from your soul, you feel a river moving in you, a joy. Rumi
Sign*Reader View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sign*Reader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2012 at 7:23pm
I am curious why would Muslim women in fundamentalist practice would want to take a  oath of a secular Canadian citizenship?

Why would anyone want to be part of the society that doesn't respect you?

If it is economics then it is a pathetic scene!

Kismet Domino: Faith/Courage/Liberty/Abundance/Selfishness/Immorality/Apathy/Bondage or extinction.
abuayisha View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Muslim
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abuayisha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2012 at 9:44pm
SignReader, how have you been?  Some of these women are likely Canadian - born and raised.  What a sad commentary for people to be forced to migrate for religious freedom of expression.  I happen to see economics, as well as education excellent reasons to live in the West.  Perhaps this law will be successfully challenged in the courts and overturned. 
Matt Browne View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Browne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2012 at 7:25am
Hayfa, maybe this helps understand the feelings of people like myself who are born and raised in Western countries:

As a Christian I have the right to draw pictures of the Prophet Muhammad. I choose not to exercise this right for two reasons. I want to be respectful towards other religions and cultures. And I don't want to hurt the feelings of Muslims.

Muslim women have the right to wear a face veil in public (burka or niqab). They can choose not to exercise this right in non-Muslim countries for two reasons. They want to be respectful towards other religions and cultures. And they don't want to hurt the feelings of non-Muslims, for example non-Muslim Canadians.

Fortunately none of the Muslims in Germany wear face veils. About 20% choose to wear a headscarf covering their hair. Which is fine. This allows us to see the faces of our fellow human beings. I'm always shocked encountering fully cloaked women, for example in London. It triggers strong negative emotions. It hurts.

We need to see the faces of our fellow human beings. Why? Because we are human. It's part of human nature. A very large region of the brain exists for the sole purpose of reading other people's faces. This helps us convey emotions for example. Have you ever noticed someone on a train for example looking out the window seeing something nice like a sunrise in the morning? A smile lighting up her face. And it makes us smile too.

Edited by Matt Browne - 30 January 2012 at 7:30am
A religion that's intolerant of other religions can't be the world's best religion --Abdel Samad
Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people--Eleanor Roosevelt
abuayisha View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Muslim
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abuayisha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2012 at 9:57am
Originally posted by Matt Browne Matt Browne wrote:

Muslim women have the right to wear a face veil in public (burka or niqab). They can choose not to exercise this right in non-Muslim countries for two reasons. They want to be respectful towards other religions and cultures. And they don't want to hurt the feelings of non-Muslims, for example non-Muslim Canadians.

Here we have a textbook example of ethnocentrism.
Sign*Reader View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sign*Reader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 February 2012 at 4:41pm
Originally posted by abuayisha abuayisha wrote:

SignReader, how have you been?  Some of these women are likely Canadian - born and raised.  What a sad commentary for people to be forced to migrate for religious freedom of expression.  I happen to see economics, as well as education excellent reasons to live in the West.  Perhaps this law will be successfully challenged in the courts and overturned. 

I am hanging in there! Alhumdulillah thanks... Pray all is well on your side

Back to the subject: Why would a Canadian born woman need a oath of citizenship which is automatic in the US and Canada as opposed e.g., Saudi Arabia or similar well off places but sparsely populated.

If the immigrants don't like to follow the host country's standards then they don't have to sign up for the visa and or residency or citizenship!

My experience with wife's foreign friends she made through the religious get togethers is plain horrible particularly who were in veils and super religious funk. She has been taken to the cleaners for thousands of dollars by selling her ponzi schemes. I have waited long enough and left with no choice but to take them to the court of law before the the statute runs out.

I am sure the judge is not going to let their veils fool him.

Do you have any ideas?

More later!

Edited by Sign*Reader - 01 February 2012 at 4:44pm
Kismet Domino: Faith/Courage/Liberty/Abundance/Selfishness/Immorality/Apathy/Bondage or extinction.
Hayfa View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hayfa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 February 2012 at 2:30am
I guess I don't understand why it hurts you?  It has little to do with you and the fact they want privacy. 
When you do things from your soul, you feel a river moving in you, a joy. Rumi
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 8>
  Share Topic