IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Discussion
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Muslim Women and 'Canadian Values'  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Muslim Women and 'Canadian Values'

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Caringheart View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caringheart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Muslim Women and 'Canadian Values'
    Posted: 22 July 2012 at 8:39pm
Originally posted by Matt Browne Matt Browne wrote:

You're wrong, Wardah. There are dress codes in Western countries. You can't walk around downtown naked. You can't enter a bank wearing a motorcycle helmet. You can't wear shorts in an expensive restaurant. A teacher can't teach her class wearing a bikini. You can't wear a t-shirt walking into a CEO's conference room. A pilot can't fly a plane wearing jeans. And so forth.

And because we do have dress codes, we don't want women wearing face veils in our countries. And we expect respect for our values and our dress codes. A Western female journalist in Iran does wear a head scarf, because that's the dress code there.

A turban doesn't hide the face.

I'm not a supporter of dress code laws. I would appreciate it if Muslim women don't wear face veils voluntarily and just cover their hair if they want to. Doing this they would show respect for our countries.

Thumbs%20Up
Matt Browne View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Browne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2012 at 8:23am
You're wrong, Wardah. There are dress codes in Western countries. You can't walk around downtown naked. You can't enter a bank wearing a motorcycle helmet. You can't wear shorts in an expensive restaurant. A teacher can't teach her class wearing a bikini. You can't wear a t-shirt walking into a CEO's conference room. A pilot can't fly a plane wearing jeans. And so forth.

And because we do have dress codes, we don't want women wearing face veils in our countries. And we expect respect for our values and our dress codes. A Western female journalist in Iran does wear a head scarf, because that's the dress code there.

A turban doesn't hide the face.

I'm not a supporter of dress code laws. I would appreciate it if Muslim women don't wear face veils voluntarily and just cover their hair if they want to. Doing this they would show respect for our countries.

Edited by Matt Browne - 22 July 2012 at 8:29am
A religion that's intolerant of other religions can't be the world's best religion --Abdel Samad
Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people--Eleanor Roosevelt
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caringheart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2012 at 2:38pm
I am disappointed to see that many of my posts, which I put a great deal of time and thought into, have been deleted, so this is obviously not a forum for open discussion but rather a censored media.  I am disappointed that I can not find any site to have discussion with Muslims that is open to expression of all thoughts and sharing of all information to allow individuals to reach their own conclusions.  The Bereans were commended for always seeking the Truth in all things so they might know that they belong to the One God.

"Now the Bereans were of more noble character than the Thessalonians, for they received the message with great eagerness and examined the Scriptures every day to see if what Paul said was true."

I find it enlightening to observe the constant need for this censoring which you do not find in all places.  Some do not fear to have the truth tested.
Wardah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wardah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2012 at 8:42am
Well,  in western countries where people follow their hearts and even they are allowed to dress up in whatever way they want, and it does not matter how much of thier skin and even thier privat body parts are visible, than why thier is a restriction for the person who want to cover her body part even if it is a 'Face' ? it should not bother other people at all. How about a "turban" the people from Sikh religion wears it, does it not dehuminized the men??? I personally do respect all the religions and I do not mind when people want to follow thier religion or thier culture.
abuayisha View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Muslim
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abuayisha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 June 2012 at 2:47pm
True when the verse was revealed within the same context of  High Treason .

The context of the verse was during wartime and one leaving his religion meant joining the opposing side in the conflict, thus committing treason.  No one is forced to become a Muslim and there is no imposition of the death penalty for apostasy. 

Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caringheart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 June 2012 at 12:23pm
Originally posted by peacemaker peacemaker wrote:

Caringheart: "If there is no compulsion in religion why is it a death offense in Islam for a person to choose not to be a Muslim?  On this point Muhammad contradicts himself."

Greetings!

This is incorrect. There is no death offense in Islam for a person to choose not to be a Muslim. To learn or discuss further this matter, please start a thread in a relevant section.

I do not wish to start a new thread.  It is relevant to this thread because I am responding to something another poster wrote in this thread.  They said that there is no compulsion in religion.  Is it not true that it is a death offense for a Muslim to leave his religion?
Regards,
Caringheart
peacemaker View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peacemaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 June 2012 at 7:59am
Caringheart: "If there is no compulsion in religion why is it a death offense in Islam for a person to choose not to be a Muslim?  On this point Muhammad contradicts himself."

Greetings!

This is incorrect. There is no death offense in Islam for a person to choose not to be a Muslim. To learn or discuss further this matter, please start a thread in a relevant section.
Then which of the favours of your Lord will ye deny?
Qur'an 55:13
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caringheart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2012 at 2:26pm
Originally posted by abuayisha abuayisha wrote:

�Let there be no compulsion in religion.  Truth has been made clear from error.  Whoever rejects false worship and believes in God has grasped the most trustworthy handhold that never breaks.  And God hears and knows all things.�  Quran- 2:256

This is so often cited by Muslims and yet actions speak louder than words.
The Muslims who quote it seem to miss the part about
"God hears and knows all things"
... not humans.

God is the One to judge whether a person's heart is true or false... not man.
If there is no compulsion in religion why is it a death offense in Islam for a person to choose not to be a Muslim?  On this point Muhammad contradicts himself.
Actions speak louder than the words when a person is killed for choosing what to believe.

Only God has the right to condemn.  Man does not 'know all things'.

Edited by Caringheart - 14 June 2012 at 2:27pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
  Share Topic