IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Politics > Current Events
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Say NO to Indefinite Military Detention!  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Say NO to Indefinite Military Detention!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Senior  Member

Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote schmikbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 December 2011 at 11:03pm
I say that if you are fearful of being brought in on charges, be they justified or not, then perhaps you should change something.  Personally, I live a simple life.  Those of you that are so upset that you think this changes anything ought to think about what you are doing.  You need to relax.
longears View Drop Down

Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote longears Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 December 2011 at 12:06pm
Originally posted by schmikbob schmikbob wrote:

I say that if you are fearful of being brought in on charges, be they justified or not, then perhaps you should change something.  Personally, I live a simple life.  Those of you that are so upset that you think this changes anything ought to think about what you are doing.  You need to relax.

So you are saying that if my children have food on the table, I should turn a bind eye to the thousands who don't?  That people should not over-step and try to become a voice for the voiceless, a defense for the defenseless?  We should just lead a simple and comfortable life, as best we are able, and not worry about others' well-being?  Is that what you are saying?

I've been blessed with the option of a simple and satisfying life -- it's tempting to crawl into a cocoon and ignore the world around me.  Perhaps this is my greatest struggle of principle and belief -- I don't want to go back out there and fight for others.  I hate fighting,  I always end up spiritually and emotionally wounded and exhausted.  The only thing worse is watching it happen and doing nothing.

I'm not a belligerent person, certainly not a terrorist, not always listening  for a "call to arms".  I have no intention of harming others, because that's wrong. My crime is wanting to remove from power those who are abusing their power to harm innocent people. 

Are you saying that we should just turn a blind eye to the suffering and injustice in our society because speaking up in outrage, or telling others about what we've seen, or organizing against patent injustice, might get us in trouble?  

What exactly are you recommending?

"No peace until there is peace for all.  No rest until all has been fulfilled"  Dag Hammarskjold                      
peacemaker View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peacemaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 December 2011 at 12:44pm

"To not be harmed is the most fundamental civil liberty in my mind."

True.

"We are living in extraordinary times, which call for extraordinary measures and power."

Regardless of how difficult it has become, the infringement of civil liberties (when many such infringements have already happened) should be out of question.

Justice and peace go hand in hand. It is a basic equation. 

Here is a relevant quote:

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.

Abraham Lincoln

Then which of the favours of your Lord will ye deny?
Qur'an 55:13
abuayisha View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Muslim
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abuayisha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 December 2011 at 6:10pm

"Justice and peace go hand in hand. It is a basic equation."  Allah bless you Peacemaker, and how I wish life were as simplistic as the inspirational quotations you have stated. My eyes have witnessed otherwise.

schmikbob View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote schmikbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 December 2011 at 8:35pm
I think that if you are afraid of a military dictatorship in the United States, then you probably have never served in the US military and your point of reference is skewed.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic