IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Culture & Community > Groups : Women (Sisters)
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - 786  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Groupie
Groupie
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote queenie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 786
    Posted: 08 September 2005 at 1:35pm
From when I was small I have always used the numbers 786 to represent "Bismillah-ar-rahma-narahaheem". its is often seen in muslim email addresses, muslim car number plates, written on top of exam papers before starting and there is even a muslim nasheed group called 786???. however I have nver questioned this till now.Is this just an asian thing? Does anybody know how these numbers represent bismillah-ar-rahma-naraheem?
ummyasmeen View Drop Down
Starter
Starter
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ummyasmeen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2005 at 8:36pm

as salaamu alaykum

I have known my pakistani/indian friends to do this custom but my other friends dont practice this

Umm yasmeen

rami View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2005 at 11:51pm
Bi ismillahir rahmanir raheem

assalamu alaikum

the number 786 comes from an old science that few people remember, but this science is spoken about in ahadith, when some jews tried to predict the number of years islam would last on earth using this science but there premise was wrong. basicly each letter of the alphabet has a numerical value the number 786 is the sum of the letters for bismillah ir rahmanir raheem or the fatiha i cant remeber which.
Rasul Allah (sallah llahu alaihi wa sallam) said: "Whoever knows himself, knows his Lord" and whoever knows his Lord has been given His gnosis and nearness.
Dayem View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dayem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 October 2005 at 1:16am

786 is a shorthand for bismillah hir rahmaneer rahim.Muslim here (in INDIA) use it on varius places, like in notebook, cars, or any place where there is a danger of getting ,u know, kinda disgrace.So 786 saves the trouble.

It is said that it was invented by a Hindu Raja,mind you.Each no. is supposed to have some value and when a word is added it forms a number.An intresting thing to note is that when numerical value of 'Hare Krishna'(name of a hindu god) is added, it also gives 786 as result.

Ulema here r undecided whether to use 786 or not, with some calling it as 'biddah' or innovation.

"the mooslims! they're heeere!"
LOONWATCH.COM
AhmadJoyia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AhmadJoyia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 October 2005 at 10:32am
Originally posted by Dayem Dayem wrote:

Ulema here r undecided whether to use 786 or not, with some calling it as 'biddah' or innovation.

One thing that is quite certain: It has no Islamic origin. Neither Quran nor Sunnah of Prophet. Secondly, we use "Bismillah" to humble our self to Allah. I think, this can be done by recitation, especially once the chances are that the written words would not get respected. Indeed Allah knows our intentions.

queenie View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote queenie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 October 2005 at 8:55am

interesting and different answers here.

Do any of you know this ahadith that rami has mentioned?

Abeer23 View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abeer23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 October 2005 at 10:55am

Hmm, I have heard of this science.  It's a bit dangerous if you ask me.  I've known some muslims that have gone astray getting too in to it.  But that's just my opinion.

Salaam

Dayem View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dayem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 October 2005 at 12:23am

Originally posted by abeer abeer wrote:

I have heard of this science
Science?What science?I dont think it has got any science in it.I know a bit how it works.Here is what I found frm Google:http://www.submission.org/miracle/786.html

Q 2. I never quite understood the idea behind the number "786". Is it possible for you to explain its significance at your earliest convenience? (Asim)

A 2. "786" is the total value of the letters of "Bismillah al-Rahman al-Rahim". In Arabic there are two methods of arranging letters. One method is the most common method known as the alphabetical method. Here we begin with Alif, ba, ta, tha etc. The other method is known as the Abjad method or ordinal method. In this method each letter has an arithmetic value assigned to it from one to one thousand. The letters are arranged in the following order: Abjad, Hawwaz, Hutti, Kalaman, Sa'fas, Qarshat, Sakhaz, Zazagh. This arrangement was done, most probably in the 3rd century of Hijrah during the 'Abbasid period, following other Semitic languages such as Phoenician, Aramaic, Hebrew, Syriac, Chaldean etc.

If you take the numeric values of all the letters of the Basmalah, according to the Abjad order, the total will be 786. In the Indian subcontinent the Abjad numerals became quite popular. Some people, mostly in India and Pakistan, use 786 as a substitute for Bismillah. They write this number to avoid writing the name of Allah or the Qur'anic ayah on ordinary papers. This tradition is not from the time of the Prophet -peace be upon him- or his Sahabah. It developed much later, perhaps during the later 'Abbasid period. We do not know of any reputable Imams or Jurists who used this number instead of the Bismillah.

Editor's note:

Earlier Muslim scholar Fakhreddin Ar-Razi, in his famous book et-Tafsir-ul Kabir, links the 19 letters of Basmalah with 19 guardians of Hell. Other scholars did not question the number of letters in Basmalah until after the discovery of the the mathematical miracle of the Quran.

To read about the history of the gematrical value of letters, Please  see our page at :

http://www.submission.org/miracle/gematrical.html

Here is a table explaining the above answer

Table 5. The 19 Arabic letters of the Basmalah and their
corresponding gematrical values. They all add to 786

Letter No. Arabic  English   Gematrical Value
1 Baa'   B 2
2 Siin  S 60
3 Miim M 40
4 'Alif A 1
5 Laam   L 30
6 Laam  L  30
7     Haa' H  5
8 'Alif   A  1
9 Laam L 30
10 Raa' R 200
11      H!aa' H 8
12 Miim   M     40
13 Nuun N 50
14 'Alif A   1
15 Laam  L 30
16 Raa' R 200
17      H!aa' H 8
18 Yaa' Y 10
19 Miim M   40
Total   786

See also Ahmad Deedat 's book (below) where he showed the 19 letters of Basmallah

For more about the mathematical Miracle of verse 1, sura 1, (Basmallah) check our file at; http://www.submission.org/beyond.html

For greater detail about the mathematical miracle, check our page at; http://www.submission.org/miracle/

"the mooslims! they're heeere!"
LOONWATCH.COM
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic