IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Interfaith Dialogue
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - ? for Christians...WHAT IS THE GOSPEL?  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

? for Christians...WHAT IS THE GOSPEL?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote truthnowcome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ? for Christians...WHAT IS THE GOSPEL?
    Posted: 08 September 2011 at 11:11pm

Salaam to all!

Is good to be here again! There were some unfinished discussion I have yet to discuss with my Christian�s friends.

Because of the counting down of the fulfillment of revelation 18 soon I decide to comeback.

My question for Christians is�I've heard so much of Holy Gospel, Gospel, Jesus preaching the Gospel, the disciples preaching the Gospel, Paul preaching the Gostspell, what is this Gospel they were preaching?

And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature. Mark 16:15

Br. Zainool

Edited by truthnowcome - 08 September 2011 at 11:16pm
LET'S SET THE RECORD STRAIGHT ONCE AND FOR ALL...NO MORE LIES!
honeto View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote honeto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2011 at 1:59pm
Salam Br. Zainool,
that is a very good question, if I remember someone here on the forum has said Jesus did not have a Gospel, did he? I would like to see that person or any Christian friend to respond to either question.
Hasan
The friends of God will certainly have nothing to fear, nor will they be grieved. Al Quran 10:62

Reepicheep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reepicheep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2011 at 7:33pm

The word "gospel" (εὐαγγέλιον in Greek) can be replaced by the term "good news", so an alternative translation of Mark 16:15 into English would be:

"preach the good news to every creature".

In this particular case, "good news" is referring to the teachings of Jesus.  If we rephrase this verse into colloquial English, Jesus is telling his disciples:

"tell all people about my teachings".

Edited by Reepicheep - 11 September 2011 at 7:49pm
truthnowcome View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote truthnowcome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 September 2011 at 8:51am

Peace to all!

Thanks you reepicheep for you response! I was looking forward for br. Jack to respond to this post because he claimed to know or I should say he potraying to know the history of the message of Jesus (S). However, I am still looking forward for a response from him.

As for your answer it is fairly good. What I don�t understand is why the Christian�s scholars translate the word as �Gospel� instead of �Good News� because if we say Jesus preaches the �Good News� it would send a clear message instead of saying Jesus preaching the �Gospel�. What�s your opinion on that? And where thay got the word �Gospel� from and why they used it, do you have any idea?

On the side note, can you tell me what the �Bible� is? I ask that question because nowhere in Jesus� message it mentioned Jesus preaches the bible; and br. Jack and other Christians is forcing this bible on people whithout explaining where the word �bible� came from and what it mean so we can have a comprehensive understanding of what they teaching the people to believe (If it�s Jesus� (s) message which is the Good News or some one else message add to it.).

Peace!

Br. zainool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reepicheep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2011 at 7:09am
truthnowcome wrote: where thay got the word �Gospel� from and why they used it

As I understand it: the Greek word used in the biblical manuscripts is εὐαγγέλιον which can be literally translated into English as "good news".  The first translation of εὐαγγέλιον into English (around a thousand years ago) was "god spell" ("good news" in Old English).  Over the centuries, this was shortened to godspell and then gospel.  Also over time, the definition of the word "gospel" was not limited to mean "the message of Jesus" but also came to refer to the first four books of the New Testament, where the message of Jesus was given.  So, then, a sentence like the following:

The Gospel of Mark contains the gospel.

would be grammatically correct, but probably confusing to most people.

truthnowcome wrote: why the Christian�s scholars translate the word as �Gospel� instead of �Good News� because if we say Jesus preaches the �Good News� it would send a clear message instead of saying Jesus preaching the �Gospel�.   

A "healthy" language like English is kind of like a living creature, in that the language is constantly evolving over time.  This often causes problems when the meaning of words change over time.  A good example is the phrase "Holy Ghost" from the King James translation of the bible.  The word "ghost" now has meanings different from 500 years ago, so as a result the phrase "Holy Spirit" has now come to be used.  Another example is the word "gay" which nowadays has a connotation much different than fifty years ago.

The same applies to the word "gospel".  The tendancy nowadays is to translate the Greek word εὐαγγέλιον as "good news" rather than "gospel", probably because of the confusion you make reference to.  If you check out the following link:

you will see many examples of "good news".  The NIV (New International Version) is probably the most widely used recent translation of the bible, and it uses the phrase "good news".

truthnowcome wrote: can you tell me what the �Bible� is?

The bible consists of the Old Testament and the New Testament.  The books of the OT were written prior to the birth, death, and resurrection of Jesus, while the books of the NT were written after these events.

truthnowcome wrote: nowhere in Jesus� message it mentioned Jesus preaches the bible

On the contrary: there are many hundreds of places in the New Testament where Jesus and others either quote from or refer to the Old Testament.  I'll give you one example which is directly relevent to our current discussion:

He went to Nazareth, where he had been brought up, and on the Sabbath day he went into the synagogue, as was his custom. And he stood up to read.  The scroll of the prophet Isaiah was handed to him. Unrolling it, he found the place where it is written:

�The Spirit of the Lord is on me, because he has anointed me to preach good news to the poor..."

Then he rolled up the scroll, gave it back to the attendant and sat down.  The eyes of everyone in the synagogue were fastened on him, and he began by saying to them, �Today this scripture is fulfilled in your hearing.�  Luke 4:16-20

An examination of the OT Book of Isaiah reveals that Jesus was quoting from Isaiah 61:1-2.  So, not only do we have Jesus telling us that he is preaching the good news, he quotes from the Old Testament to show that his coming was predicted in the scriptures.

There are, of course, no examples in the bible of Jesus quoting from the New Testament, since the New Testament had not yet been written during the time Jesus walked on Earth.

Edited by Reepicheep - 19 September 2011 at 8:17am
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote truthnowcome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 September 2011 at 11:45am

Originally posted by Reepicheep Reepicheep wrote:

truthnowcome wrote: where thay got the word �Gospel� from and why they used it

As I understand it: the Greek word used in the biblical manuscripts is εὐαγγέλιον which can be literally translated into English as "good news". The first translation of εὐαγγέλιον into English (around a thousand years ago) was "god spell" ("good news" in Old English). Over the centuries, this was shortened to godspell and then gospel. Also over time, the definition of the word "gospel" was not limited to mean "the message of Jesus" but also came to refer to the first four books of the New Testament, where the message of Jesus was given. So, then, a sentence like the following:

The Gospel of Mark contains the gospel.

would be grammatically correct, but probably confusing to most people.

Peace my friend!     

So the correct translation would be �Good News� according to you, you said: �the greek word in the bible manuscripts is εὐαγγέλιον which can be literally translated into English as �good news��.

And also that is refferring to the �first four books of the New testament� according to you. Can you explain to me what this good news was about which Jesus (S) was preaching?

truthnowcome wrote: why the Christian�s scholars translate the word as �Gospel� instead of �Good News� because if we say Jesus preaches the �Good News� it would send a clear message instead of saying Jesus preaching the �Gospel�.

A "healthy" language like English is kind of like a living creature, in that the language is constantly evolving over time. This often causes problems when the meaning of words change over time. A good example is the phrase "Holy Ghost" from the King James translation of the bible. The word "ghost" now has meanings different from 500 years ago, so as a result the phrase "Holy Spirit" has now come to be used. Another example is the word "gay" which nowadays has a connotation much different than fifty years ago.

The same applies to the word "gospel". The tendancy nowadays is to translate the Greek word εὐαγγέλιον as "good news" rather than "gospel", probably because of the confusion you make reference to. If you check out the following link:

http://bible.cc/mark/16-15.htm

you will see many examples of "good news". The NIV (New International Version) is probably the most widely used recent translation of the bible, and it uses the phrase "good news".

This is very intresting! �the �meaning� of the word change (evolved) overtime!!!!!�

You see my friend, you were misinformed; there were no such word as �Ghost� in the Hebrew language; it was Spirit.  In Greek pneuma is for spirit and in Hebrew Ruah is for Spirit and in Arabic Rooh is for Spirit.

The word �Gost� evolve it way into the writhings of Jesus (S) message. Al the Prophers of the pass spoke of the �God Spirit, My Spirit and Holy Spirit� and not �God Gost and holy Gost�!

truthnowcome wrote: can you tell me what the �Bible� is?

The bible consists of the Old Testament and the New Testament. The books of the OT were written prior to the birth, death, and resurrection of Jesus, while the books of the NT were written after these events.

truthnowcome wrote: nowhere in Jesus� message it mentioned Jesus preaches the bible

On the contrary: there are many hundreds of places in the New Testament where Jesus and others either quote from or refer to the Old Testament. I'll give you one example which is directly relevent to our current discussion:

He went to Nazareth, where he had been brought up, and on the Sabbath day he went into the synagogue, as was his custom. And he stood up to read. The scroll of the prophet Isaiah was handed to him. Unrolling it, he found the place where it is written:

�The Spirit of the Lord is on me, because he has anointed me to preach good news to the poor..."

Then he rolled up the scroll, gave it back to the attendant and sat down. The eyes of everyone in the synagogue were fastened on him, and he began by saying to them, �Today this scripture is fulfilled in your hearing.� Luke 4:16-20

An examination of the OT Book of Isaiah reveals that Jesus was quoting from Isaiah 61:1-2. So, not only do we have Jesus telling us that he is preaching the good news, he quotes from the Old Testament to show that his coming was predicted in the scriptures.

There are, of course, no examples in the bible of Jesus quoting from the New Testament, since the New Testament had not yet been written during the time Jesus walked on Earth.

Reepicheep, I was just looking for this answer:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bible

The Bible (from Greek τὰ βιβλία ta biblia "the books") is the collections of the primary religious texts of Judaism andChristianity. There is no common version of the Bible, as the individual books (Biblical canon), their contents and their order vary among denominations. Mainstream Judaism divides the Tanakh into 24 books, while a minority stream of Judaism, the Samaritans, accepts only five. The 24 texts of the Hebrew Bible are divided into 39 books in Christian Old Testaments, and complete Christian Bibles range from the 66 books of the Protestant canon to the 81 books in theEthiopian Orthodox Bible,[1] to the 84 books of the Eastern Orthodox Bible.

--------------------  

So when Christians ask if you believe in the bible, what they are treally asking is if you believe in the collection of books put together by Christians� scholars; instead of ask if you believe in the Good News what Jesus (S) preached.

Peace!

Br zainool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reepicheep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 September 2011 at 8:23am
truthnowcome wrote: You see my friend, you were misinformed; there were no such word as �Ghost� in the Hebrew language; it was Spirit.  In Greek pneuma is for spirit and in Hebrew Ruah is for Spirit and in Arabic Rooh is for Spirit.

I don't understand what you mean by the above, but whatever you mean, it is certainly off topic to our current discussion.  If you wish to discuss the Holy Spirit, then I suggest you start a new thread. 

truthnowcome wrote: The Bible is the collections of the primary religious texts of Judaism and Christianity.

True. but again irrelevent to our current discussion.

truthnowcome wrote: Can you explain to me what this good news was about which Jesus was preaching?

I'm surprised that you don't already know this, but briefly: Jesus taught that all people are sinners, that the penalty for sin is eternal damnation, but that Jesus (through his death and resurrection) paid the price for sin on our behalf.

God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son, that whosoever believes in him won't perish but will have eternal life.  John 3:16

Edited by Reepicheep - 20 September 2011 at 9:25am
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote truthnowcome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 September 2011 at 1:15am

truthnowcome wrote: You see my friend, you were misinformed; there were no such word as �Ghost� in the Hebrew language; it was Spirit. In Greek pneuma is for spirit and in Hebrew Ruah is for Spirit and in Arabic Rooh is for Spirit.

I don't understand what you mean by the above, but whatever you mean, it is certainly off topic to our current discussion. If you wish to discuss the Holy Spirit, then I suggest you start a new thread.

Peace!

Reepicheep, you give example of how the meaning of word evolves in the bible so I made a little correction. If meanings change most likely we will have wrong understang of the message to that of the original intended by the Messengers of the pass, and the word �Gospel� is a good example. For example, if you ask a non Christian if you believe in the Gospel right away he will concieve in his mind that you are talking about the collection of books that put together by Christian�s Scholars and lable as the Holy Bible; but if you examine the usage of the word in the four books it lead you to a different understanding.

truthnowcome wrote: The Bible is the collections of the primary religious texts of Judaism and Christianity.

True. but again irrelevent to our current discussion.

It is relevent to this discussion that is why I mentioned it on a side note because the word �Gospel� has a different meaning from the word �Holy Bible� but Christians used both of the words to propogate the collections of books where as the word �Gospel doesn�t mean that.

truthnowcome wrote: Can you explain to me what this good news was about which Jesus was preaching?

I'm surprised that you don't already know this, but briefly: Jesus taught that all people are sinners, that the penalty for sin is eternal damnation, but that Jesus (through his death and resurrection) paid the price for sin on our behalf.

God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son, that whosoever believes in him won't perish but will have eternal life. John 3:16

Don't be surprised! Let us see if what you said is the truth.

First let us look at the usage of the word �Gospel�. Here in Luke the word used to anounced the birth of John (S): Link of whole chapter: Luke 1

Lu 1:19 The angel answered and said to him, "I am Gabriel, who stands in the presenceof God, and I have been sent to speak to you and to bring you this good news.

The word used here to announced the birth of Jesus (S). Link of whole chapter: Luke 2

Lu 2:10 But the angel said to them, "Do not be afraid; for behold, I bring you good newsof great joy which will be for all the people;

As you can see the word �Good News� is used to make spicial anouncement of importance. Now, let us see how Jesus (S) used it.

It mentioned in Luke 20:1 � [Original Greek]

And it came to pass, that on one of those days, as he taught the people in the temple, and preached the gospel, the chief priests and the scribes came upon him with the elders,

Mt 11:5 -

The blind receive their sight, and the lame walk, the lepers are cleansed, and the deaf hear, the dead are raised up, and the poor have the gospel preached to them.

As you see here, not the angel is announcing the Good News but it was Jesus(S). What was that Good News of so importance? Let us see what the writhings says.

Mt 4:23

And Jesus went about (5707) all Galilee, teaching (5723) in their synagogues, and preaching (5723) the gospel of the kingdom, and healing (5723) all manner of sickness and all manner of disease among the people.

Mt 9:35 -|Original Greek]

And Jesus went about all the cities and villages, teaching in their synagogues, and preaching the gospel of the kingdom, and healing every sickness and every disease among the people.

Mr 1:14 - |Original Greek]

Now after that John was put in prison, Jesus came into Galilee, preaching the gospel of the kingdom of God,

Reepicheep, as you can see the Good News that Jesus (S) was preaching was about coming of the kingdom of God and not your sugested opinions although he instructed the people to follow the commandments which he also obeyed, he instructed them to �repent� for their sins so that they can receive forgivness form God Almight and alsobelieve in the Good News of the coming of God�d Kingdom on earth.

Mr 1:15 - |Original Greek]

And saying, The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God is at hand: repent ye, and believe the gospel.

Lu 8:1-

And it came to pass (5633) afterward *, that he went (5707) throughout everycity and village, preaching (5723) and shewing the glad tidings (5734) of thekingdom of God: and the twelve were with him,

He (S) thought his followers how to pray and what to pray for:

After this manner therefore pray ye: Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name. �Hallowed be thy name� 10Thy kingdom come, Thy will be done in earth, as it is in heaven.� (Matthew 6:9 )

Coming of God Almighty kingdom on earth �His� will� shall be done on earth! What is the will? God�s will is his divine law. It is narrated that Jesus (S) said: �Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.�  Matthew 7:21-22

10Thy kingdom come, Thy will be done in earth, as it is in heaven.

Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not �inherit� the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind, Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall �inherit� the kingdom of God. (1Co 6:9-10)

He tells us how the Kingdom of God will come in Matthew6:31-32:

Another parable put he forth unto them, saying, The kingdom of heaven is like to a grain of mustard seed, which a man took, and sowed in his field: 32Which indeed is the least of all seeds: but when it is grown, it is the greatest among herbs, and becometh a tree, so that the birds of the air come and lodge in the branches thereof.

That is the coming of God�s Kingdom on earth; it is a message to come then God�s Law (his will) shall establish on earth. (10Thy kingdom come, Thy will be done in earth, as it is in heaven.�)(Matthew 6:9)

Meaning, the message will be a universal one. Revelation 14 conforms that:

And I saw another angel fly in the midst of haven, having the everlasting gospel (THE EVERLASTING GOOD NEWS) to preach unto them that dwell on the earth, and to every nation, and kindred, and tongue, and people. Saying with aloud voice, Fear God, and give glory to him; for the hour of his judgment is come.� (Rev.14:6-7)

This is the future tense; it was an �angel� coming from heaven with the everlasting Good News for all nations. The Judgment there is the Law (His will) to preach unto them that dwell on earth all nation.

Again, the kingdom of heaven is like unto treasure hid in a field; the which when a man hath found, he hideth, and for joy thereof goeth and selleth all that he hath, and buyeth that field (Matthew 13:44)

And the disciples came, and said unto him, Why speakest thou unto them in parables? 11He answered and said unto them, Because it is given unto you to know the mysteries of the kingdom of heaven, but to them it is not given. 12For whosoever hath, to him shall be given, and he shall have more abundance: but whosoever hath not, from him shall be taken away even that he hath. 13Therefore speak I to them in parables: because they seeing see not; and hearing they hear not, neither do they understand. (Matthew6:10-13)

The message of the Good News speaks for itself!

TNC

Edited by truthnowcome - 23 September 2011 at 7:44am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic