IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Culture & Community > Groups : New Muslims
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - My old hobbies as a new Muslim?  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

My old hobbies as a new Muslim?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lalli36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My old hobbies as a new Muslim?
    Posted: 06 September 2011 at 11:03am
Assalamu Alaikum everyone!

I am a very new Muslim (Alhamdulillah!) and have some questions regarding activities which may or may not be haram.

I have been training and riding horses my whole life and while I do not compete anymore (which could be considered a display for entertainment in public I guess) I live on my family's farm and I have a horse. I do dressage.

The farm is very secluded and private. No random people can enter and it's impossible to see me. Is it ok to still ride considering that I will be with only blood family and my husband? I have no idea if riding horses is haram...???

Also, is there anything associated with general farm life which I cannot do being a new Muslim? We raise chickens, goats and alpacas, as well as my horse and one other. We also grow our own veggies.

I feel very blessed that my farm is so secluded. I can be out in nature without hijab for family dinners, etc. It's nice to have that option!

Lalli
peacemaker View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peacemaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 September 2011 at 2:44am
Assalamu Alaikum,

Sister, I found this answer from IC site. Hope this helps:

Question#:
Question Date:
1/1/1995
Topic :
Women riding horses or swimming:
Question:
According to Islamic law, are women allowed to ride horses? If not, please explain why?
Answer:
Horse riding is an activity encouraged by the Prophet. He has urged us to teach our children "good marksmanship, swimming and horse riding." His statement includes both sons and daughters. When a woman rides a horse, she must continue to observe Islamic standards of propriety. She may not wear clothes which are not acceptable from the Islamic point of view. The same applies to swimming. She may not wear a swimming costume which reveals her arms or legs in front of men. If she is wearing such a costume, she has to confine her swimming to an enclosed private swimming pool, where she is seen only by people who are allowed to see her in that condition.
Reference:
Arab News
Then which of the favours of your Lord will ye deny?
Qur'an 55:13
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic