IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Regional > Americas
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Hurricane Katrina Victims & Relief Inform  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hurricane Katrina Victims & Relief Inform

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icforumadmin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hurricane Katrina Victims & Relief Inform
    Posted: 02 September 2005 at 2:55pm

Assalamu alaikum/Peace be upon you.

We all terified by this tragedy. May God strengthen the victims and their families during this difficult times.

Please post anything related to the Hurricane Katrina here.

Thanks,

Edited by Administrator
Best Regards & Peace,

Admin
icforumadmin View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icforumadmin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2005 at 3:34pm

Assalamu alaikum,

The following article written sent by Kelly Izdihar Crosby of New Orleans, she is one of the iViews.com contributors.

Admin

====

Salaam alaikum, Islamicity editors.  As you know, Hurricane Katrina has devastated much of the Gulf South region.  I have written some articles for you before about Iman Muhanna Mohammad and Mukhtar Mai.  My name is Kelly Izdihar Crosby and I am native of New Orleans.  We just left New Orleans yesterday and we are sure that we have lost everything but by God's grace we are okay. 

It's very hard to me to express what I am feeling right now.  In the blink of an eye, my life and the lives of millions of people on the Gulf Coast region of the Southern United States has been changed forever.  I am here in Atlanta, Georgia, in the safety of my mother's friends where the weather is sunny and dry.  But just yesterday, August 30th, 2005, we were escaping the ravages of my home city, New Orleans, Louisiana.  My family and I were blessed.  We made shelter at the Louis Armstrong International Airport which is miles away from the metropolitan New Orleans area.  We couldn't have imagined what has happened.  While at the airport, we had electricity, running water and food.  In a day, the power went out and the water could not be consumed.  We were running out of food and the weather after Hurricane Katrina's wrath was unbearably hot.  I saw tourists who had come to New Orleans looking for a good time stuck in the airport with their pets, children, suitcases and worried faces wondering when would they make it back home.  But our situation fared much better than those in the "Crescent City" and Gulfport, Mississippi.  

As we fixed the television in one of the airport offices, we saw the unbelievable images of our city under water.  We saw people looting stores; stealing necessities such as bread, bottled water and milk but some stealing beer and cigarettes.  We know that our houses are now under water and what we currently own what is in our getaway bags.  My memories, artwork, pictures, books, and house are all destroyed.  Alhamdulillah, I have a copy of the Qur'an and some books about Islam.  But by the grace of Allah ta'ala, we are alive, healthy and in good hands. Most of those material things can be replaced and I hope that when we get a chance to recover, we can rebuild and become stronger as one of America's most historical and beautiful cities. 

We also heard the distress of our mayor, C. Ray Nagin, as he stated that rescue efforts were diffucult because there were looters creating havoc.  Alhamdulillah, I thought, as I counted my blessings and thanked Allah ta'ala for our means to evacuate.  What many people do not realize is that 30-40% of the citizens of New Orleans live in poverty.  It took my family $120 dollars of gas money to get from New Orleans to Atlanta, Georgia.  Most New Orleanians did not have the means to evacuate so many braced the worst of the storm and hoped that they would be spared.  You don't know how wonderful it was to get online and read about various friends finding refuge in Texas, Tennessee, Georgia and Northwest Louisiana.  But I am still trying to reach my father who may have made refuge on what is now the flooded but famous lane of Canal Street.  I believe he is out of harm's way and I'm relying on Allah ta'ala.  My great-grandmother and cousins are fine but we believe that they have been sent to Texas to escape the disease and anarchy that has settled upon the city.  I just keep making dua for everyone who is there suffering one of the worst storms to have ever hit the United States.  It's already being referred to as the "American Tsunami."

New Orleans is home to thousands of Muslims who attend the various masajid throughout the Southeastern area of Louisiana. New Orleans is the place where I went to school, worked and where my father and I took shahada and became Muslims.  My friends, loved ones and many Muslims call New Orleans home.  There are many people in New Orleans and all throughout the Gulf Coast who need your help. Please contact the Red Cross at www.redcross.org to donate money for rescue efforts.  The Islamic Council of North America (www.reliefonline.org), Mercy USA (http://www.mercyusa.org/HurricaneKatrinaRelief.cfm), and Islamic Relief (www.irw.org/katrina) are all collaborating to send help.  Also, many Muslims made refuge in Baton Rouge, Louisiana's capital city and home of the Islamic Center of Baton Rouge.  They need help as well.  There are about 100 Muslims at the Islamic Center who need clothes, diapers, medicine, food, money, whatever you can spare.  Please contact them at this website (www.webrouge.com/icbr).  Their number is 1-225-387-3617 and address is 820 West Chimey, Baton Rouge, LA  70802.  While I am in Atlanta, I will keep progress Katrina's aftermath and charity efforts on my blog www.izzymo.blogspot.com. Thank you for help and duas and may Allah ta'ala reward you for your efforts. 

Allah (swt) is beautiful and loves beauty (Sahih Muslim).

www.izzymo.blogspot.com  (for my musings)
www.izdihar.blogspot.com   (for my art)

------------------------------------------------------------ --------------------
Start your day with Yahoo! - make it your home page

Allah (swt) is beautiful and loves beauty (Sahih Muslim).

www.izzymo.blogspot.com  (for my musings)
www.izdihar.blogspot.com   (for my art)

Angel View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2005 at 7:52pm

http://au.news.yahoo.com//050902/21/vrsu.html

Friday September 2, 11:41 PM

Explosions rock New Orleans

Huge explosions and fires have erupted in New Orleans, hours before US President George W Bush is to inspect devastation from Hurricane Katrina that has turned the city into a virtual combat zone.

There is no information on the cause of the blasts in the city, where thousands are still trapped amid fetid waters, rotting corpses, and roving bands of gunmen and looters.

The blasts are believed to have involved a chemical factory; a large cloud of acrid, black smoke has been drifting over south-western New Orleans.

Hazardous material teams are on their way to the largely inaccessible area.Unacceptable

US President George W Bush, bound for three southern US states ravaged by Hurricane Katrina, says the poor early response to the deadly storm is unacceptable.

There are "a lot of people working hard to help those who have been affected, and I want to thank the people for their efforts," Mr Bush said at the White House minutes before his departure.

He told reporters aid was "surging" in, but acknowledged things were not going well.

"The results are not acceptable," he said.

"I'm looking forward to talking to the people on the ground. I want to assure the people of the affected areas and this country that we'll deploy the assets necessary and get the situation under control," said the President.

Mr Bush is to take an aerial tour of coastal Alabama and Mississippi, and walk through parts of devastated Biloxi, Mississippi, before taking another aerial tour of New Orleans followed by a statement on recovery efforts at Louis Armstrong New Orleans International Airport, according to the White House.

Earlier today, US troops from Iraq moved in with shoot-to-kill orders to stem the growing anarchy that set in after Katrina pounded the Gulf Coast, leaving thousands feared dead.

Buses have been evacuating some of the thousands of people who have been waiting at the New Orleans sports stadium in intense heat, and with very little food or water.

Several thousand more, including many elderly people, are still at the city's convention centre.

However, officials at the Houston Astrodome in Texas - which has taken 11,000 evacuees - say they have not any room to take more.

Mario Gallegas, a senator from Houston, says he is not sure the city is prepared for the refugees already there.

"Obviously this has happened in our backyard," he said.

"This is a tragic disaster of natural cause and we're going to step forward and help."'Ridiculous'

Meanwhile, the Mayor of New Orleans, Ray Nagin, has made an impassioned plea on local radio for state and federal authorities to co-ordinate their relief efforts, and begin delivering aid to the thousands stranded in the devastated city.

"I don't know whose problem it is," he said.

"I don't know whether it's the Governor's problem, I don't know whether it's the President's problem, but somebody needs to get their arse on a plane and sit down the two of them and figure this out right now.

"Flood their dog-gone offices with request to do something. This is ridiculous."

Other local officials and survivors are complaining bitterly that the government has been slow to speed troops and relief supplies to the New Orleans area, where up to 300,000 people are still feared trapped.

"This is a national disgrace," said Terry Ebbert, the head of New Orleans' emergency operations.

"We can send massive amounts of aid to tsunami victims (in Asia), but we can't bail out the city of New Orleans."

Survivors say people in the devastated Mississippi coastal town of Biloxi are still waiting for the relief agencies to come there as well.

"President Bush get on television and say 100 per cent no looting," said one man.

"Are you going to come down here and feed these people? Are you going to come down here and shelter these people, put clothes on them?

"Florida had an election, they got relief the next day. Is it because the President's brother's down there?

"Now this is just not right. We're not a third world country."

-Reuters/AFP

~ Our feet are earthbound, but our hearts and our minds have wings ~
Suleyman View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suleyman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 September 2005 at 7:12am

Friday, September 2nd, 2005
Vacation is Over... an open letter from Michael Moore to George W. Bush

Friday, September 2nd, 2005

Dear Mr. Bush:

Any idea where all our helicopters are? It's Day 5 of Hurricane Katrina and thousands remain stranded in New Orleans and need to be airlifted. Where on earth could you have misplaced all our military choppers? Do you need help finding them? I once lost my car in a Sears parking lot. Man, was that a drag.

Also, any idea where all our national guard soldiers are? We could really use them right now for the type of thing they signed up to do like helping with national disasters. How come they weren't there to begin with?

Last Thursday I was in south Florida and sat outside while the eye of Hurricane Katrina passed over my head. It was only a Category 1 then but it was pretty nasty. Eleven people died and, as of today, there were still homes without power. That night the weatherman said this storm was on its way to New Orleans. That was Thursday! Did anybody tell you? I know you didn't want to interrupt your vacation and I know how you don't like to get bad news. Plus, you had fundraisers to go to and mothers of dead soldiers to ignore and smear. You sure showed her!

I especially like how, the day after the hurricane, instead of flying to Louisiana, you flew to San Diego to party with your business peeps. Don't let people criticize you for this -- after all, the hurricane was over and what the heck could you do, put your finger in the dike?

And don't listen to those who, in the coming days, will reveal how you specifically reduced the Army Corps of Engineers' budget for New Orleans this summer for the third year in a row. You just tell them that even if you hadn't cut the money to fix those levees, there weren't going to be any Army engineers to fix them anyway because you had a much more important construction job for them -- BUILDING DEMOCRACY IN IRAQ!

On Day 3, when you finally left your vacation home, I have to say I was moved by how you had your Air Force One pilot descend from the clouds as you flew over New Orleans so you could catch a quick look of the disaster. Hey, I know you couldn't stop and grab a bullhorn and stand on some rubble and act like a commander in chief. Been there done that.

There will be those who will try to politicize this tragedy and try to use it against you. Just have your people keep pointing that out. Respond to nothing. Even those pesky scientists who predicted this would happen because the water in the Gulf of Mexico is getting hotter and hotter making a storm like this inevitable. Ignore them and all their global warming Chicken Littles. There is nothing unusual about a hurricane that was so wide it would be like having one F-4 tornado that stretched from New York to Cleveland.

No, Mr. Bush, you just stay the course. It's not your fault that 30 percent of New Orleans lives in poverty or that tens of thousands had no transportation to get out of town. C'mon, they're black! I mean, it's not like this happened to Kennebunkport. Can you imagine leaving white people on their roofs for five days? Don't make me laugh! Race has nothing -- NOTHING -- to do with this!

You hang in there, Mr. Bush. Just try to find a few of our Army helicopters and send them there. Pretend the people of New Orleans and the Gulf Coast are near Tikrit.

Yours,

Michael Moore
[email protected]
www.MichaelMoore.com

P.S. That annoying mother, Cindy Sheehan, is no longer at your ranch. She and dozens of other relatives of the Iraqi War dead are now driving across the country, stopping in many cities along the way. Maybe you can catch up with them before they get to DC on September 21st.

Suleyman View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suleyman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 September 2005 at 7:14am

G.W. Bush:are you annoying me?

Whisper View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whisper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 September 2005 at 3:57pm
We need to help them somehow. At humanitarian level, not just that they are all victimms of the Neo Con follies.
Murabit View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Murabit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 September 2005 at 5:13pm
Friends,

There is much to be said and done about the manmade annihilation of New Orleans, caused NOT by a hurricane but by the very specific decisions made by the Bush administration in the past four and a half years. Do not listen to anyone who says we can discuss all this later. No, we can't. Our country is in an immediate state of vulnerability. More hurricanes, wars, and other disasters are on the way, and a lazy bunch of self-satisfied lunatics are still running the show.

So, in the next few days, I will write to you about what must be done about Bush and Co.

But today I want you to join with me in bypassing the colossally inept and incompetent Bush administration and get help DIRECTLY to the people of the New Orleans area -- right now.

A lot of you have written me to ask what you can do. Many don't know who to trust. Many want to do more than write a check. You are right to think that writing checks to relief agencies will not get water and aid to people in the next 48 hours. Checks will be needed later and can be written later.

I have a way, though, for each and every one of us to do something today that can affect people's lives TODAY.

For the past few days I've been working with a group that, I guarantee you, will get direct aid to the people who need it most.

Cindy Sheehan, the brave woman who dared to challenge Mr. Bush at his summer home, has now sent her Camp Casey from in front of Bush's ranch to the outskirts of New Orleans. The Veterans for Peace have taken all the equipment and staff of volunteers and set up camp in Covington, Louisiana, on the shores of Lake Pontchartrain. They are accepting materials and personally distributing them to those in need.

This is where we come in. We need to ship supplies to them immediately. Today they need the following:

Paper plates, paper towels, toilet paper, baby diapers, baby wipes, baby formula, Pedialyte, baby items in general, powder, lotion, handy wipes, sterile gloves, electrolytes, LARGE cans of veggies, school supplies, and anything else to lift people's spirits.

You can ship these items by following the instructions on VFPRoadTrips.org. Or you can deliver them there in person. The roads to Covington are open. Here's how to get there. You can drop them off or you can stay and participate (if you stay, you'll be camping so bring your own tent and gear and mosquito spray).

If you can't ship these items or go there in person, then go to VFPRoadTrips.org and make an immediate donation through PayPal. Camp Casey-Covington will have immediate access to this cash and can buy the items themselves from stores that are open in Louisiana (all donations to Veterans for Peace, are tax deductible).

Each day I will post up-to-the minute information as to what is needed and the progress Camp Casey is making. Please visit MichaelMoore.com often and do what you can to help.

Many other groups are also doing good work. MoveOn.org has set up a system for people to offer rooms in their homes to the survivors.

There is no time to waste. People are suffering and dying. Each of us can do something. There is no other alternative.

Thank you in advance for your help. Tomorrow, we will take care of the other work we need to do about the ideologically hamstrung incompetents in charge.

Yours,
Michael Moore
[email protected]
MichaelMoore.com
"I am a slave. I eat as a slave eats and I sit as a slave sits.", Beloved, sallallahu alyhi wa-sallam.
Murabit View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Murabit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 September 2005 at 4:22pm
Gratitude in the Face of Calamity

By Imam Zaid Shakir

In The Name of God, Most Gracious, Most Merciful

If you express gratitude for my blessings, I will increase you in them. [Al-Qur�an 14:7]

The failings of humans in the aftermath of the destruction wreaked by Hurricane Katrina are many. Unfortunately, they are too easy to identify. On the other hand, there are many blessings, which the situation along the Gulf shore serves to highlight. Most of those blessings are things we take for granted. They oftentimes go unnoticed, and therefore, unappreciated. In light of the difficulties facing so many of our fellow citizens in the affected areas of Louisiana, Mississippi, and Alabama, we should all take time to thank God for His many and abundant blessings.

First of all, let us thank God that He inspired so many people to risk their lives and health to save thousands of individuals who were trapped in New Orleans and elsewhere. Let us thank God for the kind souls who have opened their hearts and homes to receive those who have been misplaced by the storm. Let us thank God for the countless merciful souls who are inspired to spend their money to assist those who have been displaced from their homes. Let us thank God for those working tirelessly to connect lost children, the elderly, and physically challenged with their families.

When we awake in the morning and the lights come on to guide us around the house as we prepare to start our day, let us thank God. When we relieve ourselves and we find the means to remove our waste far from our homes let us thank God. When we drive by our rivers and streams, and find that most of them are not soiled by untreated raw sewage let us thank God. When we return home to warm meals, a clean change of clothes, and loving, intact families, let us thank God.

As we survey the aftermath of the storm let us thank God that the devastation was not worse. What would the damage had been had not Katrina weakened from a Category 5 storm to a Category 4 just before making landfall? What would the damage had been if the eye of the storm had passed directly over New Orleans, instead of turning towards less populated areas? What would have resulted if the flooding in New Orleans had been immediate and occurred at the height of the storm, in the middle of the night as people slept or were surrounded by total darkness? Let us thank God that so far the death toll in Louisiana is in the hundreds and not the thousands as predicted.

Let us thank God for blessing the overwhelming majority of us with health, sustenance, services, homes, and family. Let us thank God for showering His Mercy upon us in ways great and small. Let us thank God for blessing us to understand a purpose for our lives at a time when many are spiritually lost. This latter point is a blessing of unimaginable import.

Finally, let us be pleased with God�s Decree no matter what is contains, for no matter what it contains, His Decree brings good for the believer. Let us also thank God for the gift of faith. Faith allows us to deal with the calamities of this world with dignity and composure. Our Noble Prophet reminds us,

Truly amazing is the affair of the believer. His affair only contains good. That realization only occurs for the believer. If he is blessed with good he thanks God and in that there is good. And if he is afflicted with difficulty he patiently endures and in that there is good. Sahih Muslim #7425

Source: http://www.zaytuna.org/articleDetails.asp?articleID=82
"I am a slave. I eat as a slave eats and I sit as a slave sits.", Beloved, sallallahu alyhi wa-sallam.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic