IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Regional > Americas
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Hurricane Katrina Victims & Relief Inform  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hurricane Katrina Victims & Relief Inform

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
icforumadmin View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icforumadmin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2005 at 3:34pm

Assalamu alaikum,

The following article written sent by Kelly Izdihar Crosby of New Orleans, she is one of the iViews.com contributors.

Admin

====

Salaam alaikum, Islamicity editors.  As you know, Hurricane Katrina has devastated much of the Gulf South region.  I have written some articles for you before about Iman Muhanna Mohammad and Mukhtar Mai.  My name is Kelly Izdihar Crosby and I am native of New Orleans.  We just left New Orleans yesterday and we are sure that we have lost everything but by God's grace we are okay. 

It's very hard to me to express what I am feeling right now.  In the blink of an eye, my life and the lives of millions of people on the Gulf Coast region of the Southern United States has been changed forever.  I am here in Atlanta, Georgia, in the safety of my mother's friends where the weather is sunny and dry.  But just yesterday, August 30th, 2005, we were escaping the ravages of my home city, New Orleans, Louisiana.  My family and I were blessed.  We made shelter at the Louis Armstrong International Airport which is miles away from the metropolitan New Orleans area.  We couldn't have imagined what has happened.  While at the airport, we had electricity, running water and food.  In a day, the power went out and the water could not be consumed.  We were running out of food and the weather after Hurricane Katrina's wrath was unbearably hot.  I saw tourists who had come to New Orleans looking for a good time stuck in the airport with their pets, children, suitcases and worried faces wondering when would they make it back home.  But our situation fared much better than those in the "Crescent City" and Gulfport, Mississippi.  

As we fixed the television in one of the airport offices, we saw the unbelievable images of our city under water.  We saw people looting stores; stealing necessities such as bread, bottled water and milk but some stealing beer and cigarettes.  We know that our houses are now under water and what we currently own what is in our getaway bags.  My memories, artwork, pictures, books, and house are all destroyed.  Alhamdulillah, I have a copy of the Qur'an and some books about Islam.  But by the grace of Allah ta'ala, we are alive, healthy and in good hands. Most of those material things can be replaced and I hope that when we get a chance to recover, we can rebuild and become stronger as one of America's most historical and beautiful cities. 

We also heard the distress of our mayor, C. Ray Nagin, as he stated that rescue efforts were diffucult because there were looters creating havoc.  Alhamdulillah, I thought, as I counted my blessings and thanked Allah ta'ala for our means to evacuate.  What many people do not realize is that 30-40% of the citizens of New Orleans live in poverty.  It took my family $120 dollars of gas money to get from New Orleans to Atlanta, Georgia.  Most New Orleanians did not have the means to evacuate so many braced the worst of the storm and hoped that they would be spared.  You don't know how wonderful it was to get online and read about various friends finding refuge in Texas, Tennessee, Georgia and Northwest Louisiana.  But I am still trying to reach my father who may have made refuge on what is now the flooded but famous lane of Canal Street.  I believe he is out of harm's way and I'm relying on Allah ta'ala.  My great-grandmother and cousins are fine but we believe that they have been sent to Texas to escape the disease and anarchy that has settled upon the city.  I just keep making dua for everyone who is there suffering one of the worst storms to have ever hit the United States.  It's already being referred to as the "American Tsunami."

New Orleans is home to thousands of Muslims who attend the various masajid throughout the Southeastern area of Louisiana. New Orleans is the place where I went to school, worked and where my father and I took shahada and became Muslims.  My friends, loved ones and many Muslims call New Orleans home.  There are many people in New Orleans and all throughout the Gulf Coast who need your help. Please contact the Red Cross at www.redcross.org to donate money for rescue efforts.  The Islamic Council of North America (www.reliefonline.org), Mercy USA (http://www.mercyusa.org/HurricaneKatrinaRelief.cfm), and Islamic Relief (www.irw.org/katrina) are all collaborating to send help.  Also, many Muslims made refuge in Baton Rouge, Louisiana's capital city and home of the Islamic Center of Baton Rouge.  They need help as well.  There are about 100 Muslims at the Islamic Center who need clothes, diapers, medicine, food, money, whatever you can spare.  Please contact them at this website (www.webrouge.com/icbr).  Their number is 1-225-387-3617 and address is 820 West Chimey, Baton Rouge, LA  70802.  While I am in Atlanta, I will keep progress Katrina's aftermath and charity efforts on my blog www.izzymo.blogspot.com. Thank you for help and duas and may Allah ta'ala reward you for your efforts. 

Allah (swt) is beautiful and loves beauty (Sahih Muslim).

www.izzymo.blogspot.com  (for my musings)
www.izdihar.blogspot.com   (for my art)

------------------------------------------------------------ --------------------
Start your day with Yahoo! - make it your home page

Allah (swt) is beautiful and loves beauty (Sahih Muslim).

www.izzymo.blogspot.com  (for my musings)
www.izdihar.blogspot.com   (for my art)

icforumadmin View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icforumadmin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2005 at 2:55pm

Assalamu alaikum/Peace be upon you.

We all terified by this tragedy. May God strengthen the victims and their families during this difficult times.

Please post anything related to the Hurricane Katrina here.

Thanks,

Edited by Administrator
Best Regards & Peace,

Admin
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic