IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Islam for non-Muslims
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Wearing hijab for 1 month  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Wearing hijab for 1 month

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Starter
Starter
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allah guide me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2011 at 4:54pm
may allah guide you to the straight way Lalli
Lalli36 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lalli36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2011 at 4:02pm
Hello!

First of all, I am sorry for going so long without an update and I apologize for the length! I do have a question to ask at the end so if you dont have enough time to read all of this, scroll down for the question. Smile I have now completed 2 weeks in each country. Unfortunately I was not able to stay in Venezuela more than 2 weeks because of the political issues in my other country Cry but I had some very interesting experiences while there!

I have found that in Venezuela, no one seemed to think anything of me wearing hijab and I was treated exactly like everyone else with perhaps even more respect. For the years I lived in Venezuela I was always the topic of controversy because I dress modestly anyway. I was always made fun of, etc. as many women there tend to be "over exposed."  Interesting to note that I was treated better with what many of them might consider "extreme" modesty.

In the USA, I have encountered more reactions by far. I live in an arts district where the people are supposedly open minded. Almost all know me. When I went to the store near my house I felt like I was being interrogated by people who, while I wouldn't consider them friends, know me. "Why are you doing this?" "What's the point?" "Aren't you embarrassed?" and of course the most common question "Did you convert?" I suppose it was a bit of a shock for them.

Aside from that, I've had some not-too-pleasant things shouted at me, bad looks and the like. I was surprised by my own reaction to those. I expected some negative reactions, but I took them so completely personally that at times I wanted to cry. Perhaps I'm weak, who know. I know many people are exposed to these things every day.

What also surprised me was how I felt wearing hijab. It felt absolutely wonderful! Some of the reasons are rather vain like not having to obsess in the mirror for hours trying to get my hair to cooperate. Embarrassed But for me, the best thing about it was that I didn't feel exposed. I truly, 100% felt free. Free from having to feel embarrassed by what a man might be thinking when I walked by. Free from catcalls, and most importantly, free from wondering always if I was being "tolerated" in a conversation or at work simply for my looks or proportionate to the amount of skin I was showing which, let's face it, is the case for many women unfortunately in this day and age. I felt that I was taken more seriously when I spoke.

It's been an emotional roller coaster and there are many more things I would like to share with you all. I do have a blog and I will be posting the full story there. I will post a link when the time comes.

Ok... so here is my question. My school wants pictures of me during this process which I have taken for posterity for myself. Is it appropriate for me to post these pictures on my blog when I am finished? I wouldn't want to do anything disrespectful at the last minute but I've found mixed opinions on this. I know many Muslim women who post pictures on facebook accounts, etc. But I also know some who have said that they don't consider it appropriate.

As always, I look forward to hearing from you all!

Thanks again! Your words mean a lot to me!

Lalli
aminanima View Drop Down
Starter
Starter

Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aminanima Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2011 at 2:14am
Lalli, I dont understand why it would be a problem that you put photos up where you show your experience with the hijab.

I really want to contact you and that's because I got member here, but im not allowed to PM you, dont know why maybe im too new? I'm interested in your story and experience with the hijab and I would like to, with your permission of course, to make it in my language so that others also can read it.

Thank you and may Allah guide you on the right path, amin!
Lalli36 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lalli36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 August 2011 at 1:26pm
Hello all,

I am still participating in this experiment as haven't gone a full 30 days yet. I have decided to continue to track my progress on my website which is lexistlaurent .com

Please feel free to visit and comment. I've posted some pics there as well *cringe* but take it easy on me as I really am trying hard to wrap the headscarf as best I can, although it's occasionally unsuccessful. I have relied heavily on youtube. Wink

Lalli
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic