IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Islam for non-Muslims
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Wearing hijab for 1 month  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Wearing hijab for 1 month

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lalli36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wearing hijab for 1 month
    Posted: 10 June 2011 at 1:01pm
Hello to all,

First of all, greetings! I am a non Muslim female and I live between Venezuela and the USA. I attend university in the USA and unfortunately, several Muslim women at a neighboring school have been experiencing some harrassment. As such, to raise awareness, the two schools have joined forces in an experiment.

A woman from each school who is not muslim will wear hijab for a period of one month and report on their experiences. I have been asked to represent my school. Because I live between two countries, I have been asked to wear hijab for one month in each country to compare my experiences.

I have one reservation. Could this be construed as offensive to some members of the Muslim community? To have a non Muslim doing this? Of course this has been done many times in several famous cases and it seemed to be received well, but I just wanted to ask. =)

Secondly, I could truly use some help with where to find the clothes. I would like to order online, but I'm not sure what to look for. I also have to consider that Venezuela is extremely hot and I have a heart condition which makes me highly sensitive to heat.

Your help is most greatly appreciated.

Respectfully,
Lalli
semar View Drop Down
Male Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote semar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2011 at 12:19am
I have one reservation. Could this be construed as offensive to some members of the Muslim community? To have a non Muslim doing this? Of course this has been done many times in several famous cases and it seemed to be received well, but I just wanted to ask. =)

This is not offensive. So we so proud of you, that you care about us. However, just to make sure there is no misrepresented / misunderstood, please following the common attitude of hijabi. For example don't drink in public, or hug a male in public. Note: "just in public", if you are not in public you can do as usual.

Secondly, I could truly use some help with where to find the clothes. I would like to order online, but I'm not sure what to look for. I also have to consider that Venezuela is extremely hot and I have a heart condition which makes me highly sensitive to heat.

I don't know in Venezuela, but there is many on ebay, some of them they ship internationally. For the "hot issue" you can choose thin cotton fabric, loose style.
Salam/Peace,

Semar

"We are people who do not eat until we are hungry and do not eat to our fill." (Prophet Muhammad PBUH)

"1/3 of your stomach for food, 1/3 for water, 1/3 for air"
Chrysalis View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chrysalis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2011 at 4:03am
Hi Lalli!

I wear the Hijab too, and I would love for you to try it out... even if its an experiment. I don't think anyone would mind.

For clothing, you could cover your head/neck with a Scarf and wear modest clothing that covers your entire body and is not tight. It could be anything, skirt, shirt etc. But if you want to experiment and see if people react to 'cultural' clothing, you could try wearing an Abaya as it stands out more.

"O Lord, forgive me, my parents and Muslims in the Hereafter. O Lord, show mercy on them as they showed mercy to me when I was young."
Lalli36 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lalli36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2011 at 7:40am
Thank you so much for your kind words. I am glad to hear some support for this! I do intend to follow the proper behavior when in public. I would appreciate some help with this however. What does this entail? Are there places I should not go (a restaurant which serves alcohol? I've had mentions of this before but not sure)

I began to wear hijab two days ago and have had some amazing reactions, both pleasant and unpleasant. Unfortunately, several of my male relatives refuse to go in public with me in protest. They think it's a silly experiment. Almost everyone else is incredibly supportive. Many of my female friends are interested in joining the experiment! Hijab truly is beautiful! I absolutely love it! It takes away so much stress as that I normally experience as a woman with having to look just so and show a certain amount of skin to be accepted. I feel so much more confident in hijab, which I didn't expect, to be honest.

Regarding what to wear, I have found many modest things in my closet that do not show my shape as I dress modestly anyway. The first day I wore long loose dress pants with a black sun dress over a long sleeve black t-shirt and I *loved* the head scarf that I wore. A Muslim friend showed me how to wrap it and helped me pick out clothes, although I'm not sure I did such an awesome job when I had to do it myself =P Second outfit was a long loose maxi dress with a grey long sleeve t shirt underneath and a grey and white head scarf =)

Thanks again for all of your help!

Lalli
pure_columbian View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pure_columbian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2011 at 5:31am
Hi Lalli

I think its wonderful you are trying out this experiment.
I would be really interested to find out how you were treated and how your felt wearing the hijab once the experiment has finished. Hope you'll write a piece once its finished.
Chrysalis View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chrysalis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2011 at 5:58am
Originally posted by Lalli36 Lalli36 wrote:

Thank you so much for your kind words. I am glad to hear some support for this! I do intend to follow the proper behavior when in public. I would appreciate some help with this however. What does this entail? Are there places I should not go (a restaurant which serves alcohol? I've had mentions of this before but not sure)

I think you should avoid Bars, Clubs and Pubs.. but if its a normal resturaunt that just serves alcohol that should be fine. [We Muslims are supposed to avoid restaurants that serve alcohol & pork. So we don't go to Bars, Pubs, Clubs.] However it should be okay to go to normal everyday restaurants even if they serve alcohol [as long as u don't drink in public]. Also as Muslims we keep a polite distance from members of the opposite gender... if they are unrelated to us.

Quote Unfortunately, several of my male relatives refuse to go in public with me in protest. They think it's a silly experiment. Almost everyone else is incredibly supportive. Many of my female friends are interested in joining the experiment! Hijab truly is beautiful! I absolutely love it! It takes away so much stress as that I normally experience as a woman with having to look just so and show a certain amount of skin to be accepted. I feel so much more confident in hijab, which I didn't expect, to be honest.

Thats really interesting! Are you going to be keeping a blog or something? Maybe it would be a good idea to record your experiences on the blog and we could read..

Quote Regarding what to wear, I have found many modest things in my closet that do not show my shape as I dress modestly anyway. The first day I wore long loose dress pants with a black sun dress over a long sleeve black t-shirt and I *loved* the head scarf that I wore. A Muslim friend showed me how to wrap it and helped me pick out clothes, although I'm not sure I did such an awesome job when I had to do it myself =P Second outfit was a long loose maxi dress with a grey long sleeve t shirt underneath and a grey and white head scarf =)

That sounds about right! :). Btw you could also try you-tubing Hijab styles etc and you will find tutorials there and lots of ideas. As long as whatever your wearing hides your curves and covers your skin - it should be okay. (as a general rule).

"O Lord, forgive me, my parents and Muslims in the Hereafter. O Lord, show mercy on them as they showed mercy to me when I was young."
Ghazzali View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ghazzali Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 June 2011 at 8:38am
Aassalamualaikum.carry on sister. May Allah guide you to the truth.
The world is a dangerous place to live in, not because of the bad people, but because of the good people who does not do anything about it.
Matt Browne View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Browne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2011 at 5:13am
Please share your experience with us after your experiment. I'd be very interested in that. Thanks.

A religion that's intolerant of other religions can't be the world's best religion --Abdel Samad
Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people--Eleanor Roosevelt
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic