IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Discussion
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Names  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Names

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
IslamicGirl View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IslamicGirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 April 2005 at 6:50am

Blond,

I'm sure Knowledge01 is choosing his/her name for Himself and his Faith in Islam, not to please Employers etc...

IslamicGirl View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IslamicGirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 April 2005 at 6:48am

Salams Room!

I thought a name didn't matter, does it?
I have a Muslim name, however when my husband converted he didn't seem to find any proof in the Qu'ran that you must change your name to an Islamic one when you become Muslim.  He prays 5 times a day and fasts, gives Zakaat etc.. just like a Muslim is Obligated to.

I also heared somewhere that on the Day of Judgement, you get called by the name your parents gave you???  Is anyone else aware of this...?  If so, please respond.

Just concluding, I think Muslim names are Beautiful        &nb sp;         &nb sp;      - Masha Allah!

Allah Hafiz.

Knowledge01 View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Knowledge01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2005 at 12:07pm
I am most definitly taking my time and choosing the name with the meannig of my choice.
blond View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2005 at 11:42am

Knowledge01,

You are very brave to change your name to a Muslim name, while living in the West. I applaud your courage. I advise you to also use Wisdom. Your new name will affect your ability to gain employment and housing, amongst many other things.

Choose wisely.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Knowledge01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2005 at 1:29pm
Thank you for tellin me.  I have heard of a african (black) woman with the name of Bukhari.  I don't believe she was muslim. Is there any other meaning for it?
abuayisha View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Muslim
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abuayisha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2005 at 1:18pm
Bukhara is one of the most ancient cities of Uzbekistan, thus one from Bukhara - as Imam Bukhari was, took the name after the city.
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Knowledge01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2005 at 1:01pm

One more question for now,

What does the name Bukhari mean?

Edited by Knowledge01
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Knowledge01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2005 at 9:21am

As Salaam Alaikum,

Thank you very much for the help.

Is it wrong to combine a non-muslim name with a muslim name?  I didn't see the anser in the articles and I thought I read in the Hadith that it was wrong.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic