IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Basics of Islam
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - oral medication while fasting  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

oral medication while fasting

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Starter
Starter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miasghar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: oral medication while fasting
    Posted: 25 August 2005 at 9:25am

Alhamdulillah, I cannot remember when I did not fast in Ramadhan. However recently one of the several medications that I take has been changed to a drug that is to be taken four times a day. Since it is food and drink that is forbidden during the fast, can some scholar of Islam give an opinion as to whether I can swallow the medication without water or with just a sip of water? I do not care to not fast in Ramadhan as I cannot make up the fasts later because I will still be taking the medication. My doctor so far has not said that a once a day or at most twice a day medicine can be substituted.

Apropos the probably I did read that inhalers are allowed for the asthmatic attacks without affecting the fast.

Deus View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 August 2005 at 8:18pm

If the medication is orally taken then from a clinical point of view, you should be eating while on medication (this is true for most medicines).

Taking anything orally would break your fast. Since you are on medication then you should not fast and try to make up for it in a later time (if the time ever comes.)

002.185 ...So every one of you who is present (at his home) during that month (Ramadhan) should spend it in fasting, but if any one is ill, or on a journey, the prescribed period (should be made up) by days later. Allah intends every facility for you; He does not want to put to difficulties. (He wants you) to complete the prescribed period, and to glorify Him in that He has guided you; and perchance ye shall be grateful. [Yusuf Ali translation]

miasghar View Drop Down
Starter
Starter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miasghar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 August 2005 at 4:37am

Thank you for your input. Not meaning to split hair, eating and drinking is a little different from taking a medicine orally without even a sip of water. This particular medicine need not be taken with food.  As you may know sometime ago, and probably even now, it was the opinion of many that intramuscular injections invalidated a fast. In a question and answer segment of a website it was opined by a learned person that intramuscular injections do not affect the fast. He even went so far as to say that intravenous medication  and the use of inhalers are permitted. With that in mind I thought perhaps that there was some grounds for the permissibility of taking oral medication while fasting. However not being well versed in such matters I did not want to follow my own opinion (desire). The fact that the intake of food and fluids is not permitted during the fast is clearly laid out in the verse of the Noble Quran you have quoted.  Suddenly Allah (swt) has blessed me with a thought. Instead of taking the medication four times a day I can take it four times a night. Early morning dose at sehri and evening dose at iftar and two doses in between at night.  Problem solved. Alhamdulillah.

Nausheen View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nausheen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 August 2005 at 8:18am

Auzubillahi minash shaitan ir rajeem,

Bismillah ir rahman ir rahim,

Quote Thank you for your input. Not meaning to split hair, eating and drinking is a little different from taking a medicine orally without even a sip of water. This particular medicine need not be taken with food.

Even if you were to take an IV or an intra muscular medicine it will nullify your fast. You have been adviced as per the laws of islam - thus you may not split that hair

If it is possible for you to take your medications four times in the night instead, that would indeed be the alternative to solve your problem insha allah.

If you need more information on this, try a q&a website for issues on ramadan and fasting. A good place to visit would be www.sunnipath.com

Maa salaama,

Nausheen

<font color=purple>Wanu nazzilu minal Qurani ma huwa

Shafaa un wa rahmatun lil mo'mineena

wa la yaziduzzalimeena illa khasara.
[/COLOR]
miasghar View Drop Down
Starter
Starter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miasghar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 August 2005 at 8:21am
Thank you for the info
Alwardah View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alwardah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 September 2005 at 2:46pm
As Salamu Alaikum

This is a Fatawa I have on file Insha Allah it will shed some light on this subject and beneficial since Ramadan is around the corner

Question #2299: Effect of medicines and medical treatments on fasting

Question :

Assalamu Alaikum.
Is there any consensus amongst Muslim scholars as to which medicinal preperations are permitted whilst fasting. More specifically are: a)tablets/syrups b)inhalers for asthma c)suppositories and d)intravenous forms of treatment allowed.
The question of inhalers for asthma is very pertinent to us in the UK, as some 20% of young people now suffer from asthma.
I would appreciate a detailed response with reference to any conference proceedings etc if possible
Jazakallah
Wassalam

Answer :

Praise be to Allaah.

There follows a list of a number of things used in the medical field, explaining what does and does not break the fast. This is a summary of shar�i research presented to the Islamic Fiqh Council during its regular meetings:

I � The following things do not have any effect on the fast:

1. Eye drops, ear drops, ear syringing, nose drops and nasal sprays � so long as one avoids swallowing any material that may reach the throat.

2. Tablets or lozenges that are placed beneath the tongue for the treatment of angina pectoris etc., so long as one avoids swallowing any material that reaches the throat.

3. Vaginal pessaries, douching, use of a speculum, or internal digital examination.

4. Introduction of a scope or coil (IUD), etc., into the uterus.

5. Introduction of a scope or catheter into the urethra (male of female), or injection of dyes for diagnostic imaging, or of medication, or cleaning of the bladder.

6. Drilling of teeth (prior to filling), extraction or polishing of teeth, using a miswaak or toothbrush, so long as one avoids swallowing any material that reaches the throat.

7. Rinsing, gargling or applying topical treatment in the mouth, so long as one avoids swallowing any material that reaches the throat.

8. Injections, whether subcutaneous, intra-muscular or intra-venous � with the exception of those used for purposes of nutrition.

9. Oxygen.

10. Anaesthetics, so long as they do not supply nutrition to the patient.

11. Medicines absorbed through the skin, such as creams, lotions and patches used to administer medication through the skin.

12. Introduction of a catheter into the veins in order to examine or treat the vessels of the heart or other organs.

13. Laparoscopy for the purpose of diagnosis or surgical treatment of the abdominal organs.

14. Biopsies of the liver and other organs, so long as this is not accompanied by the administration of nutrients.

15. Gastroscopy, so long as this is not accompanied by the administration of nutrients.

16. Introduction of medicine or instruments into the brain or spinal cord.

17. Involuntary vomiting (as opposed to self-induced vomiting).

II � The Muslim doctor should advise his patient to postpone the above-described treatments and procedures until after he has broken his fast, if it is safe to do so and will not cause any harm (even if these procedures will not have any effect on his fast).

Majma� al-Fiqh al-Islami (Islamic Fiqh Council), p. 213. (www.islam-qa.com)

Wa Alaikum Salam

�Verily your Lord is quick in punishment; yet He is indeed Oft-Forgiving Most Merciful (Surah Al-An�am 6:165)
"Indeed, we belong to Allah and to Him is our return" (Surah Baqarah 2: 155)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic