IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Culture & Community > Groups : New Muslims
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - New to Islam  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New to Islam

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Starter
Starter
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Destinie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New to Islam
    Posted: 11 May 2011 at 2:10pm

Salam,

I would consider myself new to Islam, converting on 2/25/11. I am very happy with the choice I made and am trying my hardest to learn as much as I can. Reason for opening this topic is to get any responces possible and if any other new muslims feel overwhelmed. It is pretty personal things to talk about my past, but I never use to pray. Now I try to pray more (not always all 5) But I try. I do not think I am trying my hardest and I feel guilt. I just wanted some advice on what are things I should try... Other life problems have come in the way and I know now I need prayer more than anything. Thanks in advance for any advice. :)

semar View Drop Down
Male Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote semar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2011 at 7:17pm
Salam,

Welcome to IC forum and welcome to Islam. Insha Allah you will happy in both.
Salam/Peace,

Semar

"We are people who do not eat until we are hungry and do not eat to our fill." (Prophet Muhammad PBUH)

"1/3 of your stomach for food, 1/3 for water, 1/3 for air"
tariqtaha View Drop Down
Starter
Starter
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tariqtaha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2011 at 6:00am
Salam Destinie,

Welcome to Islam and Inshalla you be happy finding this a new way in life.

I think you need to spend time understanding the meanings behind each pillar of islam, why it's there, and how does it relate to our daily life.. for the problem that comes over, we feel in more need for spiritual help that's why we do things better, but life get easy we seem to forget.. we cannot change our nature, but we shall be always connected with the grounded principles even when life is going easy.. that is the hard part.
aishazahra View Drop Down
Starter
Starter
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aishazahra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2011 at 2:09pm
@destinie:
Asalaam alaykum. I too have recently accepted Islam and can understand that challenges you must be faced with especially while living in the US. To me the hardest part about offering Salat was memorizing the Suras and the few other duas. I found it extremely helpful to learn from www.mounthira.com. I first learnt the Ayat Al-Kursi, and used to recite it in times of difficulty. It really helped me.

Jazak Allah khair
HamzaMusa View Drop Down
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HamzaMusa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2011 at 7:07pm
asalaamu alaikum Sr Destinie.  Welcome to Islam and to the forum.    Br. Tariqtaha above gave you good advice...study the five pillars and why they are so important.

I would add that wanting to learn all you can about Islam is normal, but don't let yourself become overwhelmed (as you mentioned you are).  When you are overwhelmed, Shaytan will use those feelings as a way to lead you away from the straight path.  Just take your time and study at your own pace, and praise Allah (swt), for He is the Giver of Knowledge.

Also Sr. aishazahra gave good advice and a link to a great website for learning...you should check that out.
Ghazzali View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ghazzali Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 August 2011 at 1:16pm
Aassalamualaikum sister. Welcome to our ummah. At first, praying 5 times will be a bit difficult, but slowly u will get used to it. Just keep trying die hard to pray 5 times. It is important not to miss any prayer. And Allah is always there to help u.
The world is a dangerous place to live in, not because of the bad people, but because of the good people who does not do anything about it.
LisaW View Drop Down
Starter
Starter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LisaW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 October 2011 at 10:37pm
Through a wonderful pen pal that I have since lost contact with I was introduced to Islam I was so impressed by him and his culture that I started reading the Quran and any other Islamic website I can find I now spend hours a day reading everything I can find. I want so desperately to convert to Islam but I am hesitant because I am having such dificulty learning the prayers and I am afraid to make that commitment with out being able to say the five daily prayers. I have not been able to find any Islamic groups in my community to seek help I am feeling lost and hopeless does any one have any good advise.
Mangomotte View Drop Down
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mangomotte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 October 2011 at 1:22pm
Salam
Destinie don't despair.... I sometimes end up doing all prayers in the evening as I can't pray in the office (well, it is a bit awkward ) Slowly you will start looking forward to the prayers, giving you peace and time to reflect. Don't worry, Allah understands your struggle.

And, LisaW - Welcome to IC.. you don't have to know all the prayers BEFORE you convert. I had a crib sheet with transliteration/phonetics clutched in my hand or placed on the floor in front of me while praying. Even to this day, when I try to memorize new prayer I do write it down, again and again and read while doing prayers...
Is there no mosque near you?
If not, here are loads of people who will ty to help!
Don't be afraid to ask

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic