IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Discussion
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Predatory lending  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Predatory lending

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Sign*Reader View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sign*Reader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2011 at 11:20pm
Have you seen the "Inside Job" staring Barney yet?
It is worth the time!

Edited by Sign*Reader - 19 April 2011 at 11:21pm
Kismet Domino: Faith/Courage/Liberty/Abundance/Selfishness/Immorality/Apathy/Bondage or extinction.
abuayisha View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Muslim
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abuayisha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2011 at 2:40pm

There is no such thing as a perfect law. Opposing interests intersect, compromises are made, and the end result almost always never pleases everybody. Lenders violating any provision of the Dodd-Frank Act will not be criminally liable. Violating any of the new provisions are just civil offenses. The Dodd-Frank Act is nothing like the New Deal that protected depositors, borrowers, and investors between 1933 and 2000. Even with the short comings, the mortgage reform provisions within Title XIV of the Dodd-Frank Act are good first steps towards ensuring higher standards within the lending industry, promoting financial stability, and aiding in consumer protection.

by Peter H�bert

http://www.mynorthwesthomes.com/Blog/The-Mortgage-Reform-and-Anti-Predatory-Lending-Act

https://www.lariba.com/home-financing.htm    (Islamic Loans)

schmikbob View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote schmikbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2011 at 1:11pm
I was wondering what the Islamic position was on loans.  I thought the Quran prohibited usury but not the legal charging of interest. 

I started thinking about this because of today's Reuter's article that says the US Congress is considering rules that will allow a borrower to sue a lender that does not verify certain loan qualification information such as employment history.  Specifically this is legislation proposed by none other than Barney Frank, one of the precipitators of the present day home foreclosure problem.  I find in fascinating that Congress is proposing rewarding the borrower that lies to the lender.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic