IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Stories - How I Became Muslim?
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - need help  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

need help

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ray045 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 August 2005 at 11:41am
As Salamu Alaikum
 Thank you for your kind words of support they have lifted my spirits and given me strength to face this problem. It helps to know that others have faced and overcome difficulties in life and that all of us will be tested as to our faith and that Allah will not burden us with more than we can cope with, only he knows what is best for us.
Evanescence View Drop Down
Starter
Starter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Evanescence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 August 2005 at 9:31pm
Hello,

I don't know if this is the right place, but my husband is muslim and I want to convert to muslim, but I can't stop drinking. I can't seem to deal with any bit of stress without drinking a little bit. No smoking, no drugs, just this, but he doesn't like it and neither do I. He says islam can solve my problems, but problems aren't solved overnight. What should I do?
mazallen View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mazallen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 August 2005 at 9:00am

to the Moderator:

As Salaamu Alaikum,

I was a bit outraged at the previous post, and I said a few angry words.  You were entirely justified in deleting both of them.  And Allah (s.w.t) knows best.

Peace

Edited by mazallen
Evanescence View Drop Down
Starter
Starter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Evanescence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 August 2005 at 7:20pm
I'm sorry this was the wrong forum and I'm sorry to offend anybody. I want bother anybody again.
mazallen View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mazallen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 August 2005 at 12:31am

Sister Evanescence, Salaam!!!

My previous message was referring to the deleted posts -- not to yours!!!  You've offended no one!!!  Truly, only Allah (s.w.t) is perfect ... (I'm sure not -- that's for sure.)  Anyways, in regards to your struggle, I was once in the same situation and I do support you (I only hope this time this post arrives at the right time and place.)  I truly am sorry for the mix-up. 

Peace

jabedi View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jabedi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 August 2005 at 9:43pm

In understanding what the problem is specifically you will be better equipped to tackle it. 

Both of you should understand that what you are trying to change is a habit.  Habits are things that you have done frequently enough that you have stopped thinking about what and or why you are doing it.

I would suggest picking up a self help book on changing your habits.  Drinking is very similar to smoking in that they both are social drugs and they are accepted by society.  Your friends drink when they go out?  So don't go out.  Keep your friends but go places where you will not be tempted to drink especially with the peer pressure.

Know that drinking is unhealthy.  Alcohol is a poison.  It damages your liver and if enough is drank it could lead to alcohol poisoning and liver disease.

Drinking does not answer anything.  Were your problems solved after you drank and the temporary "buzz" had passed.  Probably not.  Alcohol is like a door that you willing open or not that leads a lot of negative possible outcomes: health reasons, accidents, fights, saying something you did not mean, etc. 

Know that alcohol is keeping you back and slowing you down.  Life gets stressful sometimes yes, but you have become dependent on the drink to get you through.  In other words, you do not depend on yourself but on some drink that you pay for and some Non-Muslim, probably, bad intentioned brewer puts your money in his pocket. 

i would advise you to get active with your local Islamic Center which you can look up online or in phone book.  If there are none, then join a sports team or non profit group and feed the poor.  Get active, get busy and build up your iman (faith).  You, your family, your husband will enjoy each other more when alcohol is out of your lives believe me.  You can drink everyday for the rest of your life and wake up after you have no more money left to buy more and realize that nothing is different.  You still have the same problems and more likely than not you have many more.

On lighter note, you are not the first person to have to stop drinking.  In the time of Prophet (pbuh) when he first started preaching most of the early Muslims drank, excluding Prophet (pbuh) of course.  Remember Prophet (pbuh) came to us to change our character.  He knew it wasn't going to happen overnight so why should you.  Allah (swt) is Most Merciful.  If you take one step to Allah (swt), He will run to you.  Build your character and iman by starting to pray and get closer to God and yourself.  Who are you really and what is important now? 

Early Muslims used to actually come to pray drunk.  And some Muslims who did not went to Prophet (pbuh) and said oh Propher why allow them to drink.  Prophet said that they were not ready and if he forced them to they would abandon their Islam and that was more important than the alcohol.  Not long after, when the believers routinely prayed.  prophet (pbuh) decreed that God forbids the drinking of alcohol and that Muslim who drank would not go to Paradise but to the Hellfire.  On that very day, the streets ran red with hundreds of gallons of wine and alcohol.

I know you can conquer this, just do not think so much and have courage for Allah knows best.

Wasalam

JAwad

Meedo View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meedo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 September 2005 at 2:45pm

""even one sipped means that I must be an unbeliever. ""

who in the world told you so ?!!!!!!

Hey man we all sin , take it easy and take small but firm steps to Allah

Meedo View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meedo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 September 2005 at 2:46pm
Evanescence sister why did you leave? 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic