IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Islam for non-Muslims
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Force the non-believing world to submit to Allah?  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Force the non-believing world to submit to Allah?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Starter
Starter
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cyrusgames Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Force the non-believing world to submit to Allah?
    Posted: 11 February 2011 at 6:37pm

Do muslims believe that it is right to use violence to make the non-believing world submit to Allah?

semar View Drop Down
Male Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote semar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2011 at 2:02am
No. We don't.
Salam/Peace,

Semar

"We are people who do not eat until we are hungry and do not eat to our fill." (Prophet Muhammad PBUH)

"1/3 of your stomach for food, 1/3 for water, 1/3 for air"
Chrysalis View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chrysalis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2011 at 2:30am
Originally posted by Cyrusgames Cyrusgames wrote:

Do muslims believe that it is right to use violence to make the non-believing world submit to Allah?

No we don't.

2:256 "There is no compulsion in religion"... (Qur'an)

Edited by Chrysalis - 12 February 2011 at 2:31am
"O Lord, forgive me, my parents and Muslims in the Hereafter. O Lord, show mercy on them as they showed mercy to me when I was young."
Cyrusgames View Drop Down
Starter
Starter
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cyrusgames Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2011 at 10:56am
If that is true (which I thank God that it is) what about Islamic conquests in the centuries after the founding of Islam? 
Matt Browne View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Browne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 February 2011 at 7:25am
The interpretation of holy books do change over time. This applies to both the Quran and the Bible. During the early years of Christianity Romans used violence to make the non-believing world north of Rome submit to Christianity and stop worshiping Wotan, a West Germanic god corresponding to Norse Odin.

We have to be very grateful that religions evolve over time.

The biggest change to Christianity was caused by the Age of Enlightenment.

A religion that's intolerant of other religions can't be the world's best religion --Abdel Samad
Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people--Eleanor Roosevelt
Chrysalis View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chrysalis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 February 2011 at 9:12pm
Originally posted by Cyrusgames Cyrusgames wrote:

If that is true (which I thank God that it is) what about Islamic conquests in the centuries after the founding of Islam? 

Hi, like Matt Browne pointed out correctly - every nation used to fight wars and capture lands in the older days. Including Christians, Hindus, Persians, Romans, etc. It had more to do with 'survival of the fittest' and 'capture or be captured' rather than forcing people to submit to religion.

You will find that compared to their non-Muslim conquerors - the Muslim conquerors allowed freedom of religion in thier lands.  That is why to this day you shall find Coptic Christians (who have been christian since centuries) in Egypt - which is surrounded by, and was mostly a Muslim controlled region. Or you will find Hindus dominating the Sub-Continent - which again, has been under Muslim rule for centuries. Also, did you know for example, that during the Crusades, the only safe-haven for persecuted Jews were Muslim lands? Jews flocked to the Ottoman states because they were treated as 1st class citizens and their educational/ scientific contributions were appreciated. I would suggest you google Jews under Ottoman rule - to read for yourself.

The above examples were to illustrate my point that Muslim conquests were not to force the world to submit to Allah - they were the norm of the day. There is no compulsion in religion like I quoted from the Qur'an before. Because had that been the case, you would not find century-old non-muslim communities established in these areas. Unlike what happened to Muslims  in Bosnia, Central-Asia, Spain. They were forced to convert to Christianity, and their identities were forcibly erased.

If Muslims wanted to/ believed in forcing others into accepting their values & ideologies they would be attacking nations today. Yet in today's modern times when warfare is abhorred, it is non-Muslims enforcing their ideologies (Operation Freedom Iraq, Afghanistan) by attacking sovereign nations. Actions speak louder than words right?

"O Lord, forgive me, my parents and Muslims in the Hereafter. O Lord, show mercy on them as they showed mercy to me when I was young."
tmac26 View Drop Down
Starter.
Starter.

Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tmac26 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 November 2012 at 3:54pm
Ok which aya came first theres no compultion in religion or fight those who beleive not in allah or the last day until they pay the jizya and feel subued. Does the latter not abrigate the first. As islam is for all people for all time why do muslims say... Well in the time of muhammad... Or in history. You cant have no compultion in religion and force non muslims to pay the jizya. The laws in the quran are not equal with the hadiths. So for al men for all time doesnt just mean history. Is there a aya that abrogates the fight againt non beleivers?

Edited by tmac26 - 30 November 2012 at 3:56pm
Chrysalis View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chrysalis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 December 2012 at 3:51am
Originally posted by tmac26 tmac26 wrote:

You cant have no compultion in religion and force non muslims to pay the jizya. The laws in the quran are not equal with the hadiths. So for al men for all time doesnt just mean history. Is there a aya that abrogates the fight againt non beleivers?

Do you know what a Jizya is? It is a word that refers to Tax. Both Non-Muslims and Muslims need to pay taxes to their government. The Jizya Tax basically excuses the non-muslims from having to fight in the Muslim Military, and ensures that their rights are protected by the ruling Muslim government.

The Muslim civilians pay Zakat, Sadaqah, Ushr, and other sorts of religiously determined ''taxes'' (although they are not exactly like taxes, more a religious obligation) which non-muslims are excused from. Non-Muslims need not even be part of the muslim military because may not want to fight nations that belong to their faith.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic