IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Basics of Islam
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Basic Salat?  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Basic Salat?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Mohammad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Basic Salat?
    Posted: 30 December 2010 at 3:04pm
As-Salamu 'Alaykum, my brothers and sisters-

I am a very new Muslim, having converted this past September, and in many ways the more I learn the more confused I become in some areas. At present, my question is in regards to the proper performance of prayers.

I am not knowledgable enough to align myself with any particular school or sect, but I know each has it's own views on what is 'correct' prayer with their own additions and such. BUT, among all these differences of opinion, is there one basic method for performing an acceptable prayer that all agree on?

I certainly don't want to be taken as asking 'what is the minimum i can get way with', but rather I'm trying to find a solid, universally accepted base to perfect and then build upon that as I learn and grow more in Islam.

I have been performing prayers according to advice from my Imam, as well as that from helpful brothers and sisters, but I want to be sure I'm on the right track all around. If anyone has any constructive advice and/or a direction they can point me to for the correct information I would be most appreciative.

Peace be with you all ~

J. Mohammad

Edited by John Mohammad - 04 January 2011 at 6:51pm
Yusuf7 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yusuf7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2011 at 12:29am

As-salamu-alaykum

The basics/pillars of prayer are:

1-intention(non-verbal)

2-starting by saying Allahu Akbar

3-reciting alfaatiha

4-making ruku

5-rising from ruku

6-making sujud

7-rising from sujud

8-sitting between the two sujuds

9-last tashahhud and sitting for it.-with prayer for the prophet.

10-assalam at the end of the prayer

11-standing when relevant for the able person 12-sitting or standing upright when praying 13-observing tranquility/concentration 14-doing the pillars according to the right order

PS: The differences between schools of thoughts regarding the prayer are generally considered to be minor and do not affect the validity of the prayer.

seekshidayath View Drop Down
Female Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seekshidayath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2011 at 5:35am
As Salamu Alaikum wa rahmatullah

Welcome to Islamicity Brother J.Muhammad and br Yusuf.

JazakAllah khayr brother Yusuf for the answer

Congragulations for embracing Islam Br. J. Muhammad

Wish you both to be active at Islamicity

Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) said: �All the descendants of Adam are sinners, and the best of sinners are those who repent."
ehsanshakhi View Drop Down
Starter
Starter
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ehsanshakhi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 January 2011 at 11:45pm
Assalamo Alaikum,
First of all i welcome you to the relegion of peace.
Your question is about Prayer. The word used for prayer in Quran is "Sallat" that means communication with Allah (SWT). Once you agree to believe in Allah and His early & final revelation, it becomes mandetory for the believer to communicate with Allah (SWT). Sallat is best way of worship Allah (SWT). 5-time Sallat is the minimum requirement. A Muslim is a person who submit his will to Allah (SWT) and obeys His orders 24/7. This is due to his verbal declaration that  "there is no God but only Allah" (The Creator of the Universe). Prayer, being best of the Ibada, is compulsory for every believer. We have been given the last and final revelation QURAN (the code of life). Quran is a book which address everything a human being needs.

As far as offering prayer is concerned, the best way is to follow the sahih hadith to offer sallat. There are 4 school of thoughts, who defines the performance of sallat, if you follow one of them, its okay. Offering Sallat through exact style is not important, what is important, it is its essence (i.e. care, attention, humbleness). The best Sallat is, which immediately gives you satisfactions.    

qazi rehan View Drop Down
Starter
Starter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote qazi rehan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2011 at 3:28pm
Assalam a Alaikum,Very warm welcom John in the religion of peace and brotherhood, kindly contact with any Muslim Alim nearer to you he will guide you more properly..
petterwilliam View Drop Down
Starter
Starter

Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote petterwilliam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2011 at 2:12am
I heard the free islamic books are easily available on websites. I want some books in English and if is posible in Romanian. How can i get these books?

free islamic books
Chrysalis View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chrysalis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2011 at 11:15pm
Originally posted by John Mohammad John Mohammad wrote:

As-Salamu 'Alaykum, my brothers and sisters-

At present, my question is in regards to the proper performance of prayers.

I am not knowledgable enough to align myself with any particular school or sect, but I know each has it's own views on what is 'correct' prayer with their own additions and such. BUT, among all these differences of opinion, is there one basic method for performing an acceptable prayer that all agree on?

I certainly don't want to be taken as asking 'what is the minimum i can get way with', but rather I'm trying to find a solid, universally accepted base to perfect and then build upon that as I learn and grow more in Islam.

Wa'alaikum salaam Brother,

Hope that  inhsAllah this link helps:

http://www.islamicfinder.org/prayer/index.html

This is the standard way that Muslims pray.

Also, when it  comes to certain aspects of Islam such as prayer etc, it is always good to seek out first-hand help, such as an Imam or scholar etc. So you can observe firsthand and ask questions.

Here is a link to an online islamic university, it has free courses and discussion forums with knowledgeable scholars and muslims, maybe you should join and it could help the learning process...

http://islamiconlineuniversity.com/

You can take courses at your own pace.

"O Lord, forgive me, my parents and Muslims in the Hereafter. O Lord, show mercy on them as they showed mercy to me when I was young."
Chrysalis View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chrysalis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2011 at 11:34pm
In case you were asking how many 'rakat' you need to pray, here is a link for that:

http://www.islam.com/salat/typesofprayers.htm

Fajr: 2 Sunnah + 2 Fardh

Duhr: 4 Sunnah + 4 Fardh + 2 Sunnah [Optional +2 Nafl)

Asr: 4 Fardh [Optional 4 Sunnah, before fardh]

Maghrib: 3 Fardh + 2 Sunnah [ Optional + 2 Nafl]

Isha: 4 Fardh + 2 Sunnah + 3 Witr . [Optional 4 Sunnah before Fardh,  2 Nafl after Sunnah, 2 Nafl after Witr]

Hope that wasn't confusing. If anything was confusing, don't hesitate to ask.

This is usually the number of rakat that we Muslims pray. However it is encouraged to pray the full prayer, but many of us don't do that because of lack of time or laziness.

Even if you pray the fardh/required/obligatory prayers that is okay. Apart from the obligatory prayers it is up to your faith level, time and energy if you want to pray the optional prayers. The more rakat you pray, the more reward you get inshAllah, and it is said that on the day of judgement if a muslim is lacking in prayers, Allah will ask the angels to bring forth all the extra/optional prayers he/she prayed... and they will make up for the missed prayers he/she is lacking in.

But don't make it a burden upon yourself, that you HAVE TO pray the full thing  even if you are tired or don't have time. Quality over Quantity!

"O Lord, forgive me, my parents and Muslims in the Hereafter. O Lord, show mercy on them as they showed mercy to me when I was young."
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic