IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > GREEN Forum
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Want to save money? Reuse your gray water!  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Want to save money? Reuse your gray water!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Groupie
Groupie
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NuraB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Want to save money? Reuse your gray water!
    Posted: 07 October 2010 at 10:34am
Salamo Aleikom

For those of you who do not know, gray water is used household water from cleaning or cooking.  An example would be used dishwater, bathwater, water from laundering clothes, or previously boiled water like what remains from boiling pasta or eggs.

This gray water can be used a second time to either water plants or flush your toilet. 

Cooled boiled water is recommended for plants since it has no chemicals that may harm your plants, although, if you use environmentally friendly detergents or body soaps there should be no damage to the plants.

A few months ago we discovered our toilet was leaking water from the top tank into the bottom pot (wasting water). Not having the funds to buy a new tank we cut off the water to the tank and began using dishwater (from the dishpan) and shower water (placing a bucket over the drain and catching both the wasted water that comes from waiting for the right temperature, as well as the gray water from washing the body and hair)  to pour down the pot to "flush".

Our water usage went from 4000gal/mo to 2300 gal/mo the first month and 2300 to 1900 the second month. These past two months the water usage remained at around 1900.  This gives a two-fold example of saving water and money. First, if you suspect your tank is leaking, you can save about 1300 the next month by repairing it or if you use my method you'll save in addition 400 gal. per month by recycling your "gray" water to flush.

Edited by NuraB - 07 October 2010 at 10:36am
abuayisha View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Muslim
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abuayisha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 October 2010 at 10:58am
Wow!Clap....but could I do that?  I really don't think so.  I mean, we're talking big time inconvenience for which I become so accustomed to easy, however I do take short showers and turn off the water while brushing my teeth....well, sometimes anyway.
NuraB View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NuraB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 October 2010 at 3:54pm
Salam AbuAyisha

It is very easy to save/reuse water, and the bigger effort comes from remembering to do so.

Rather than dumping out your used dishwater down the drain, you can water  your plants with it. The small food particles will provide nutrition for your plants. Likewise, used cooking water such as that from pasta or boiled eggs can water houseplants as well.

Perhaps your wife will find it easier to remember to re-use old kitchen water. You will reap the economical benefits of a resourceful wife and have the satisfaction of knowing as a family you are using wisely the gifts provided by Allah Sub'hana'wa'ta'Allah.

Your sister in Islam

N.B.
abuayisha View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Muslim
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abuayisha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 October 2010 at 7:14pm
I live in Los Angeles and everyone in the house is busy.....stressed..........
NuraB View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NuraB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2010 at 8:59am
Salam brother

Thank you for taking time from your busy life to post here on the forum.
Big%20smile

I've posted how we can all be resourceful. It's a matter of doing it, if chosen to.

Your sis in Islam

N.B.

Edited by NuraB - 08 October 2010 at 9:01am
abuayisha View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Muslim
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abuayisha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2010 at 9:36am
LOL ...point well taken Sr. Nura, however I must admit - toilet flushing with dishwater, well, I'm not there yet.  I have, however, reduced my "carbon footprint" by not traveling as much these days.
Woodstock View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Woodstock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2010 at 6:52pm
I have used rain water to flush before, I had forgotten to pay the bill.   .... speaking of which. Embarrassed

Edited by Woodstock - 08 October 2010 at 6:53pm
Speak a little Learn alot.
abuayisha View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Muslim
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abuayisha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2010 at 9:11pm
"......the mother of invention."Thumbs%20Up
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic