IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Discussion
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Why building a mosque near "ground zero" is bad  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Why building a mosque near "ground zero" is bad

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 55>
Author
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nur_Ilahi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2010 at 10:48pm
First of all, it is still a sad case that the American society still believe that Muslims were behind the atrocities of 911.

Sad because their ignorance is a choice that they made. Their ignorance is due to the false information that they were fed with. The fact still remains that the American leaders had a hand in 911. Only a certain percentage of the Americans are aware who were behind this atrocities. Not the Muslims, No!

I think it is a good idea that a mosque or a Muslim cultural centre is built at the tragic site to show the American citizens that Muslims are not afraid of reality. Even how hateful Islam seems to the Americans, the reality is that Islam is indeed a religion of peace. This is a chance to portray Islam in a positive light. If ever vandalism were to happen, whose fault would that be? Muslims or Islamophobes? Though Islam had a bad publicity since 911, it is still a wonder that Islam had conquered many hearts and minds of new converts of not only the Americans but the whole world. And it is still expanding.

Possibily also, this site may also be a place where ignorant Americans would know the facts about 911.

Indeed what Allah said is true, Man planned, but the best of Planner is indeed Allah Al-Aleem (All Knowing).

Edited by Nur_Ilahi - 20 July 2010 at 10:49pm
Ilahi Anta Maksudi, Wa Redhaka Mathlubi - Oh Allah, You are my destination, Your Pleasure is my Intention.
martha View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2010 at 3:18am
Hayfa,
I agree America should not wait for ever. Yep, people debate on stuff which is centuries old. However we are not the ones licking wounds. I have to relate it to war in UK eg 2nd WW. There are many still alive here that remember being bombed night after night for months on end with no respite. Whilst many have come to terms with it there are still those that cannot escape the nightmares.

As the years go by, when they are no longer here, we will rely on stories they passed down.

So sure, not wait forever to build this mosque/cultural centre, but for many Americans to do it now would be like a kick in the teeth.

Nur Ilahi,

There will always be conspiracy theories on who was to blame. Eventually the FULL truth might be known. The sadness is not so much as to who to blame but that it actually happened in the first place.

All humans are ignorant,no matter what religion or culture they come from. I am ignorant on many things, just as you are, just as we all are here. We have our own thoughts, but thoughts are not always truths.

So, bridges need building and trust needs to be gained. Americans, many, are ignorant about Islam. In fact it would be true to say that Americans can be ignorant about their own country. It is huge after all. So to just blame their ignorance is not helpful to them. The worst possible thing to do is keep saying how YOU are right in what you say cos you are a muslim. Do you really think anyone would accept that face value? Of course not. So...for anyone to understand YOUR view and billions of other muslims you have to teach with understanding and caring. TO say that something is true based on numbers of reverts to Islam would not for example prove to another that it is a true religion.

So, sure, one day to erect this building could be helpful. Right now would not be a good time. I am sure the majority agree. It is not Islamophobia, people died by terrorist means. It could have been( could still prove to be) any religion and the grief would still be the same

Salams to you Nur.
some of us are a lot like cement:- all mixed up and permanently set
Gibbs View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gibbs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2010 at 5:35am
Nur Illahi I disagree with you and I'm going to tell you why. I disagree for the simple fact that, regardless whether this is a community center slash mosque, anything "Islamically related" still carries a negative connotation to it. Now, we can get into the debate of how 9/11 wasn't done by Muslims but by Jews, or the CIA, or the FBI but the fact remains is society is convinced it was done by muslims and society is convinced that Islam is a "violent faith" and having a community center near ground zero would be considered a slap in the face to the family of the victims. The fact that you said that you'd want a mosque there to show Americans that muslims aren't afraid of reality is problematic as well.

In the interest of fairness instead of having a mosque it ought to be an inter-faith community center shared by all religious members and house all religious and non-religous events. To me that would be politically correct versus simply having a community center AND a mosque. People won't care about the community centre but if you said there is a mosque next to it you have this problem.
blackflag View Drop Down
Starter
Starter
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blackflag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2010 at 4:08pm
One thing that this Cordoba Project is clearly showing is that majority of the non-Muslim Americans and even a few Muslim Americans are truly firm on the belief that Islam (or anything that has to do with Islam and being a Muslim) =  blowing things up. In other words, yes, this Ground Zero Mosque Project has showed how much of Islamaphobia we are facing in a country where people are supposed to be open-minded. But I understand, that this is, the families of the 9/11 victims, who are protesting against this project, are 150% driven by emotions, rather than a rational approach towards understanding the difference between Islam and Terrorism (and this has even made them not recognize that there were hundreds of Muslims that died from that attack). That such a peaceful religion condemns these Terrorists and labels them as not followers of Islam. And one thing that I am kind of not understanding is that, what is this growing number of Muslims in America doing when we still have large number of New Yorkers, Americans in general still say comments like "let them build the Mosque in Ground Zero, we will just blow it up and build a church in Mecca" or "now they can breed terrorists right next the WTC"?

Edited by blackflag - 21 July 2010 at 4:12pm
Sign*Reader View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sign*Reader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2010 at 4:25pm
Originally posted by Gibbs Gibbs wrote:

In the interest of fairness instead of having a mosque it ought to be an inter-faith community center shared by all religious members and house all religious and non-religous events. To me that would be politically correct versus simply having a community center AND a mosque. People won't care about the community centre but if you said there is a mosque next to it you have this problem.

Let's hear from the horse's mouth! No pun

THIS IS NOT A MOSQUE......

Edited by Sign*Reader - 21 July 2010 at 4:27pm
Kismet Domino: Faith/Courage/Liberty/Abundance/Selfishness/Immorality/Apathy/Bondage or extinction.
blackflag View Drop Down
Starter
Starter
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blackflag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2010 at 4:35pm
Originally posted by martha martha wrote:

Hayfa,
I agree America should not wait for ever. Yep, people debate on stuff which is centuries old. However we are not the ones licking wounds. I have to relate it to war in UK eg 2nd WW. There are many still alive here that remember being bombed night after night for months on end with no respite. Whilst many have come to terms with it there are still those that cannot escape the nightmares.

As the years go by, when they are no longer here, we will rely on stories they passed down.

So sure, not wait forever to build this mosque/cultural centre, but for many Americans to do it now would be like a kick in the teeth.

Nur Ilahi,

There will always be conspiracy theories on who was to blame. Eventually the FULL truth might be known. The sadness is not so much as to who to blame but that it actually happened in the first place.

All humans are ignorant,no matter what religion or culture they come from. I am ignorant on many things, just as you are, just as we all are here. We have our own thoughts, but thoughts are not always truths.

So, bridges need building and trust needs to be gained. Americans, many, are ignorant about Islam. In fact it would be true to say that Americans can be ignorant about their own country. It is huge after all. So to just blame their ignorance is not helpful to them. The worst possible thing to do is keep saying how YOU are right in what you say cos you are a muslim. Do you really think anyone would accept that face value? Of course not. So...for anyone to understand YOUR view and billions of other muslims you have to teach with understanding and caring. TO say that something is true based on numbers of reverts to Islam would not for example prove to another that it is a true religion.

So, sure, one day to erect this building could be helpful. Right now would not be a good time. I am sure the majority agree. It is not Islamophobia, people died by terrorist means. It could have been( could still prove to be) any religion and the grief would still be the same

Salams to you Nur.

To a large degree the grief would be different it it was, hypothetically, let's say in a plane flown by Christians to a tower in a Muslim country. I am sure if that country was truly following the Islam then would have no problem in accepting the Christian community in that Muslim country to build a Church near the tower. A good religion respects other religion, and their beliefs. Converting people by force is not accepted in Islam.
Nur_Ilahi View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nur_Ilahi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2010 at 9:43pm
All humans are ignorant,no matter what religion or culture they come from. I am ignorant on many things, just as you are, just as we all are here.

Dear Martha,

Allah created everything in pairs and opposites. And the Soul that He lent to us has the Qudrah (Power), Iradhah (Will) and Ilm (Knowledge). We have the choice to eradicate our ignorance with these characteristics. In other words, seek knowledge. That is why the first word sent to Prophet Muhammad was Iqra! Read!. It is our responsibility to find out who is behind this inhuman atrocities. If you consider yourself a Muslim, you have a duty to clear Islam from being smeared by Islamophobes.

We have our own thoughts, but thoughts are not always truths. 

Correct! What you wrote recently on hijab was exactly that. Your thoughts precisely.

So, bridges need building and trust needs to be gained. Americans, many, are ignorant about Islam. In fact it would be true to say that Americans can be ignorant about their own country. It is huge after all. So to just blame their ignorance is not helpful to them.

That is why building an Islamic Centre and a Mosque at this tragic site is good. Americans need to get rid of their ignorance. And this Islamic Centre would sure help in that way. A way of building bridges and gain trust.

The worst possible thing to do is keep saying how YOU are right in what you say cos you are a muslim.

I am conveying my perception and facts as a Muslim. I do not think that is a sin?

Do you really think anyone would accept that face value? 

NEVER ACCEPT ANYTHING ON FACE VALUE. Do Your Own Maths. The knowledge is out there at a click of the mouse. If you want Americans to believe that Muslims are behind these atrocities, then it reflects your faith in Islam.

So...for anyone to understand YOUR view and billions of other muslims you have to teach with understanding and caring.

Sometimes there are people who are so stoneheaded that you need a different approach. Like hitting the head with a hammer - LOL

TO say that something is true based on numbers of reverts to Islam would not for example prove to another that it is a true religion.

So you don't believe that Islam is a true religion?

So, sure, one day to erect this building could be helpful. Right now would not be a good time. I am sure the majority agree.

Why not? Do you depend on the mainstream media who are lackeys of the Dajjal Worshipping Zionists for info?

It is not Islamophobia, people died by terrorist means. It could have been( could still prove to be) any religion and the grief would still be the same 

Right, the grief and the loss is so true. Indeed the people who were behind these atrocities are terrorists. And I can assure you that they are not Muslims. Why are you having a lack of faith in your own brothers?
Ilahi Anta Maksudi, Wa Redhaka Mathlubi - Oh Allah, You are my destination, Your Pleasure is my Intention.
Nur_Ilahi View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nur_Ilahi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2010 at 9:50pm
Nur Illahi I disagree with you and I'm going to tell you why. I disagree for the simple fact that, regardless whether this is a community center slash mosque, anything "Islamically related" still carries a negative connotation to it.

Hi Gibb,
Exactly the reason why Muslims must find ways of eradicating any negativity towards Islam. Islam is a religion of peace and we were not behind 911, why must we be afraid of any backlashes? If we are afraid, that means we are guilty and we are not. PERIOD!

Now, we can get into the debate of how 9/11 wasn't done by Muslims but by Jews, or the CIA, or the FBI but the fact remains is society is convinced it was done by muslims and society is convinced that Islam is a "violent faith" and having a community center near ground zero would be considered a slap in the face to the family of the victims.

The more reason why we should build community centre or mosque there, to convince them that Muslims were not behind these atrocities and to change their perceptive that Islam is not a  violent faith. If they are too lazy to find the truths, let the truth come to them.

The fact that you said that you'd want a mosque there to show Americans that muslims aren't afraid of reality is problematic as well.

Problematic? The problem lies if you ignore or are afraid of Truth. Anyone who are afraid to confront Truth would always be a coward. Perhaps this building may be able to instill courage among Americans to face facts, to acknowledge Truth. To let them know who their real enemies are and that the atrocities were not the acts of Muslims.

People won't care about the community centre but if you said there is a mosque next to it you have this problem.

I do not understand why having a mosque be a problem. Would having a church or synagogue built there be a problem for Muslims or Americans? I do not think so. Even though real terrorists are associated with this two. The best way to build peace is to get rid of any kind of phobia especially Islamophobia.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 55>
  Share Topic