IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Discussion
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Why building a mosque near "ground zero" is bad  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Why building a mosque near "ground zero" is bad

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 52535455>
Author
Guest Group
Guest Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gibbs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 October 2010 at 10:58am
@RonWebb

Please do not use the palestinians and Israelis as a litmus as to how problematic my own personal philosophies are, it insults my intelligence. I am sorry I do not subscribe to the Jesus method. We live in a different world and I believe in order to sustain some sense of order people need to cooperate with each other ergo, compromise.

Like I mentioned previously, I spoke heavily on my wifes family who are of Palestinian descent. Now I wont go into details but they said some pretty hurtful things to me in my presence, but of course like any coward its done in a manner I cannot perceive. Now, I have extended the olive branch many times in the face of being insulted and the branch is always snatched from my hands and used for camp fire. So how does one continue to respect others in the midst of those who do not even respect you on the basic level of humanity?
Now grant it this is not to say all Palestinians are inhospititable because there are a great many that will invite you in their homes as a stranger. However there are a great many that will not based on who you are, or what clan you come from.

Respect isn't about "I like you if you like me" respect is about cohesion in the midst of adversity. We humans aren't obligated to each other like that, nor is there any rule that states that I am obligated to automatically respect you. You see, I can accept who people are without respecting them like my in-laws and there are those who I accept, and respect. I refuse to respect anyone who refers to another human in slanderous terms just like I refuse to respect an extremist who blows himself up killing kids or a military that PURPOSEFULLY bomb populated cities or extremist christians who want to impose their will on others. I can accept those realities but I don't have to respect that, and just because I don't respect that doesn't mean I am in violation of some universal altruistic order.

You see Ron all what you've said to me are your own ideas and thoughts on how the world should be. I have had the luxury of travel and have seen many great and wonderous things but I also understand that human nature regardless of culture can be cruel.
So you're speaking to the wrong guy about problems of respect because how I perceive things isn't because of television, its what I have experienced and more specifically in the region you mentioned.
Gibbs View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gibbs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 October 2010 at 11:02am
Originally posted by Sign*Reader Sign*Reader wrote:

Gibbs I think you need to change the name of the thread unless you want point view postings not being factual! I see Daisy Khan, Imam Rauf�s wife and partner, in August 2010 said:

We insist on calling it a prayer space and not a mosque, because
you can use a prayer space for activities apart from prayer. You can't
stop anyone who is a Muslim despite his religious ideology from entering
the mosque and staying there. With a prayer space, we can control who
gets to use it.<sup id="cite_ref-FTZero_79-1"><span></span><span></span>I think this pretty much settles the premise of this shouting match is not even understood by reactionaries and that is sad state of affairs understandably people in dire economic straights lead by the demagogues!Now the religious aspect being clear it really doesn't matter where this community hall does get built or does ever...

I have come to the conclusion I don't care what muslims do, so long as they don't impede in my own personal freedom. As I said before the reaction of people are symptomatic to the post traumatic stress experienced on 9/11. By the way that juan williams piece is in the wrong thread my man.
Ron Webb View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male atheist
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron Webb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 October 2010 at 12:32pm

Originally posted by Gibbs Gibbs wrote:

I am sorry I do not subscribe to the Jesus method.

I'm sorry too.  I don't agree with everything Jesus said, but in teaching us to "love thine enemy" IMHO he was ahead of his time.  It is a philosophy that is more necessary and more effective now, in the context of a multicultural and global community, than it would have been two thousand years ago.

Quote So how does one continue to respect others in the midst of those who do not even respect you on the basic level of humanity?

By understanding that from their point of view and with their ideological background they are behaving appropriately.  You can reject their point of view, you can disagree with their ideology, and you can acknowledge being hurt by their words or their behaviour, but always remember that in their own minds they are good people.  In that sense you can respect them.

And by the way, consider that in their minds they apparently see you as a very bad person, and yet you want them to respect you.  It cuts both ways.

Quote I refuse to respect anyone who refers to another human in slanderous terms just like I refuse to respect an extremist who blows himself up killing kids or a military that PURPOSEFULLY bomb populated cities or extremist christians who want to impose their will on others. I can accept those realities but I don't have to respect that, and just because I don't respect that doesn't mean I am in violation of some universal altruistic order.

Even suicide bombers see themselves as doing God's work.  They are probably exceptionally good people, willing to sacrifice their own lives for the common good.  They're just very screwed up about what God wants from them and what constitutes "the common good".  In other words, hate the sin, but not the sinner.

Quote You see Ron all what you've said to me are your own ideas and thoughts on how the world should be. I have had the luxury of travel and have seen many great and wonderous things but I also understand that human nature regardless of culture can be cruel.
So you're speaking to the wrong guy about problems of respect because how I perceive things isn't because of television, its what I have experienced and more specifically in the region you mentioned.

First, you're making unwarranted assumptions about me.  Second, this is an ad hominem* attack, which is unlike you.  Third, I think many of the Al Queda bombers had the luxury of travel, saw a great many things and experienced other cultures.  Sadly, that is no guarantee of wisdom.

* ETA: I should clarify that I am referring to a particular subcategory of fallacy, ad hominem circumstantial, in which the circumstances of the opponent are called into question, and not the more common (in Internet debates anyway) ad hominem abusive, which is self-explanatory.

Edited by Ron Webb - 30 October 2010 at 1:06pm
Addeenul �Aql � Religion is intellect.
Larry View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Larry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 October 2010 at 2:42pm
   This wholesale moralizing is becoming boring, self-righteous, and far afield of what the topic of this forum is. I think this may, in part, be because the subject has been beaten to death and no one is going to change their ideas or positions as a result of what another person says. I think we should either stick to the topic of the forum or find another one that is more suited to the arguments being made here of late.

Larry
Gibbs View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gibbs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 October 2010 at 12:21am
RON,

As larry rightfully suggest either stick to the topic or jus abadon itI personally will not fulfill the jesus ideals. However I will maintain peaceful discourse to those who want it.
Ron Webb View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male atheist
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron Webb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 October 2010 at 10:44am

Moralizing?  Larry, the question of whether building the community center is "bad" clearly is a moral issue.  Unless you think it's bad because of structural issues or something...

Gibbs, I'm sorry if you think my analogies are off-topic, but I think they precisely illustrate the real issue here.  Building the community centre will not solve the problem.  Neither will not building the community centre.  This is not about the community centre anymore.  Am I the only one who sees it?
Addeenul �Aql � Religion is intellect.
Larry View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Larry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 October 2010 at 8:48pm
Ron Webb,

You say, "This is not about the community centre anymore."

You're right, it has now become the great litmus test of the American people in regard to their being either anti-Islam/anti Muslim or not.

Remember, we're talking about a COMMUNITY CENTER.

This issue is about Imam Rauf and the planners completely misreading the community that they want to build their mosque/community center to serve and outreach to. The local community clearly has no problem with building a mosque/community center in Manhattan, they just don't want it built 600 feet from Ground Zero.

The residents of Manhattan have every right to support or not support this issue. They feel that it is insensitive and unsympathetic of their feelings for the Imam and the planners to INSIST on building a 13 story mosque/community center at 51 Park when the community clearly does not want them to.

For the Imam and planners to simply turn a deaf ear to and disregard the feelings and deeply held emotions of those people that this mosque/community center is supposed to serve, is, in fact, incredibly insensitive and provocative.

And the more that Imam Rauf and the planners INSIST on not moving the site under ANY circumstances, the more the community feels that there is another agenda at work here.

The Governor of New York went out of his way to help the situation by making prime state-owned property in Manhattan available to the Imam and planners. But Imam Rauf and the planners are not interested in compromise, there is no middle ground, NO INTEREST IN WORKING WITH THE COMMUNITY OR LOCAL GOVERNMENT.

There is an agenda here and only Imam Rauf and the planners seem to know what that agenda is. But clearly, the Imam and planners aren't concerned about the feelings of the local COMMUNITY in regard to their COMMUNITY CENTER.

No, the Imam and planners will just allow the community to be accused of being anti-Islam and anti-Muslim if they don't get their way in this matter.

That should really make the local community feel better about their NEW COMMUNITY CENTER, shouldn't it?

Larry

Edited by Larry - 31 October 2010 at 9:24pm
Sign*Reader View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sign*Reader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 October 2010 at 10:00pm
Originally posted by Gibbs Gibbs wrote:

Originally posted by Sign*Reader Sign*Reader wrote:

Gibbs I think you need to change the name of the thread unless you want point view postings not being factual! I see Daisy Khan, Imam Rauf�s wife and partner, in August 2010 said:

We insist on calling it a prayer space and not a mosque, because
you can use a prayer space for activities apart from prayer. You can't
stop anyone who is a Muslim despite his religious ideology from entering
the mosque and staying there. With a prayer space, we can control who
gets to use it.<sup id="cite_ref-FTZero_79-1"><span></span><span></span>I think this pretty much settles the premise of this shouting match is not even understood by reactionaries and that is sad state of affairs understandably people in dire economic straights lead by the demagogues!Now the religious aspect being clear it really doesn't matter where this community hall does get built or does ever...

I have come to the conclusion I don't care what muslims do, so long as they don't impede in my own personal freedom. As I said before the reaction of people are symptomatic to the post traumatic stress experienced on 9/11. By the way that juan williams piece is in the wrong thread my man.

Was it too much to ask for the thread name change my friend ?
I don't see how Muzlims can really impede your freedom whilst the Z'nist have done so much in impeding freedoms of Muzlims any or every place... one doesn't have to be too scholarly to know only exception the wingnuts though!
The reaction of the people can't be limitless... it is about time to conclude, is every life as valuable or one's in your precinct have some special preferences over others!
The reaction of the people in the Park 51 precincts still was not symptomatic being against; rather lower Manhattanites support the project! That should can't be overlooked! That exactly happened in our school district where common sense of the board prevailed against the busloads of the outside bible thumpers who made a fool of themselves yelling and screaming at the meeting for curriculum revision to show things Islam in bad light!

It became PTS scene once the blowhard Geller was given the platform by the tribe's media and later joined by the scummy politicians to make hay! That is well and good let them burn it down it has happened in places 3000 miles away...  
Juan(being on the wingnuts and tribe's payroll) part was just an additional example the author added in making the point!
IMO the Muzlims in the US have been too easy going to a point of acting in bondage to their creature comforts. May be the some kicking around will get them politically realistic and active...
But one thing for sure making the American Muzlims guilty for the doings of Saudi Arabs just doesn't add up while they lost their own! This point has to be understood to make some clarity! I could understand the bellyaching if the Saudis were part of the project but these local Muzlims who were there in the precincts when 911 happened also grieved for the loss rather Muzlims did across the whole land!
I think only the lower Manhattanites should have the final say one way or the other NO ONE ELSE. Period

Edited by Sign*Reader - 09 January 2011 at 6:28pm
Kismet Domino: Faith/Courage/Liberty/Abundance/Selfishness/Immorality/Apathy/Bondage or extinction.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 52535455>
  Share Topic