IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Stories - How I Became Muslim?
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - How I became Muslim  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How I became Muslim

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Divya_Mohammed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How I became Muslim
    Posted: 14 July 2010 at 4:17pm
Assalam Alaikum,

I am a new Muslim since last 3 months. I was a Hindu Iyer Brahmin Girl, married to a Muslim man for the last 14 months, with whom I am in deep and intimate love for last 3 years. Although I continued to be a Hindu after marriage, I was doing Namaz at home along with my sisters in law.

I was also going to temple for worship but I realised slowly that Islam appeals to me more and that I have begun to admire the beauty of Islam and the great position of women in Islam.

The turnaround happened as I got pregnant with 2 babies in my body and I felt that it is gift of Allah through my husband. When I visited temple after getting pregnant, I realised that I was getting angry at myself for wasting my life so far. I rushed to my home , offered Namaz , read Kalma and tore up the image of the diety that I had and stopped worshipping idols.

My husband took me to Masjid and a priest converted me to Muslim. I thank Allah for giving me a chance to lead my life as a pious and devout Muslim.

I also thanked Allah for giving me courage to overcome my initial cultural and social shock. I was a strict vegetarian and revulsed the sight of meat but after becoming pregnant and becoming a muslim, I eat lot of  meat including beef also to support the three Muslim lives in me.

I pray to Allah to make me understand the tenets of Islam better.

La Ilahi Illallah

Divya Mohammed Iyer
India
icforumadmin View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icforumadmin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2010 at 7:48pm
Assalamu alaikum,

Welcome to Islam, welcome to IC forum. Congratulation for the twin pregnancy. May Allah give you mercy and you can deliver the babies safely. Ameen.

Admin
Divya_Mohammed View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Divya_Mohammed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2010 at 2:39am

Assalam Alaikum - Thanks for your kind words and encouragement. I wish to learn more about Islam and in particular duties of a female and wife. Can you kindly suggest some good books in English language, so I can study Islam better for my understanding and life.

I am afraid of downloading translations of the Holy Koran from internet as I am not sure which one is authentic, describing the correct words of the Holy Prophet and its proper meaning and relevence to practical life.

Allah Hafiz
seekshidayath View Drop Down
Female Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seekshidayath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2010 at 4:30am
As Salamu Alaikum wa rahmatullah

Congragulations Divya for being blessed with faith. Allahu Akbar

Thanks for sharing your story with us.

Your zeal of gaining knowedge is a very good sign of faith. Hope and wish you inspire us always. Stay active here

I would recommend you a very good book - The Ideal Muslimah - by Muhammad Ali Al- Hashimi. It's available t Islamic books store of India. If you are from Hyd i can help you to reach out. Insha Allah, you shall find this book very helpful

Also would i suggest you to read about women companions of Prophet. Reading the lives spent by those great muslimahs benefit us verymuch.

And yes dear, congrats for being blessed with twins. Hope and pray for your good health. Stay happy.

Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) said: �All the descendants of Adam are sinners, and the best of sinners are those who repent."
Divya_Mohammed View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Divya_Mohammed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2010 at 6:49am
Assalam Alaikum

Thank you so much for your great encouragement. I pray for Allah Almighty's blessings for giving me word of hope and encoragement for learning about Islam better.

I live in Mumbai and shall ask my husband to buy this book for me, so I can study in depth and seek the blessings of Allah.

I will also study the lives of Great Muslima who lived.

My mother is curious to learn about Islam as well as one of my Brahmin cousin. I myself do not know much and can I suggest any book for them too.

Nothing will please me more than my cousin sister also becoming a Muslima , either through matrimony or otherwise.

Allah Hafiz
Divya Mohammed Iyer
Hayfa View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hayfa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2010 at 5:27am
Nothing will please me more than my cousin sister also becoming a Muslima , either through matrimony or otherwise.

Asalaam ALaikum,

Thank you for your story. There is alot  to learn. Take your time. One thing on what you wrote above. The ONLY way for your cousin to become a Muslim is to say her Shahada. You cannot become a Muslim through marriage. It is completely about one's relationship to Allah. Old, young, rich, poor, married unmarried, all are irrelevant in becoming a Muslim.

A good website is Muslim Mom Cafe:http://muslimmomscafe.com/forums/index.php

They have many topics and different areas. You'll learn a lot from the sisters often in  a fun light-hearted way.
When you do things from your soul, you feel a river moving in you, a joy. Rumi
UmmFatima View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UmmFatima Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2010 at 6:27am
Subhanallah sister, I was also Hindu and a vegetarian before I became Muslim! Now I eat meat too. :)

Congratulations on becoming Muslim. May your faith grow in Islam and may you be among the pious ones.

Motherhood is the most amazing journey. May Allah make it easy for you, and may your children be blessed.
�Our Lord! Grant us comfort in our spouses and descendants, and make us leaders of the God-fearing.� -Al-Furqan 74
seekshidayath View Drop Down
Female Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seekshidayath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 August 2010 at 10:32pm
As Salamu Alaikum wa rahmatullah

Sis Divya, was glad to know your eagerness to helpout your mother and cousin towards Islam.

You live in Mumbai. Can your husband help you out in buying CDs and different books of Zair Naik. We have lots of material for non-muslims that may help them understand Islam.

Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) said: �All the descendants of Adam are sinners, and the best of sinners are those who repent."
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic