IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Humour
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Oil Spill  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Oil Spill

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2010 at 7:31am
Originally posted by martha martha wrote:

Originally posted by Angel Angel wrote:

martha calm down Smile

I, myself have been under the impression to this day or until I read your post and looked it up, that its was still British Petroleum. If people still under the impression that its still British petroleum then maybe it's the fault of the company for not doing a world wide advertisement of the change.

<SPAN id=Recent_years =mw-line>Recent years</SPAN>

<SPAN =mw-line></SPAN>British Petroleum merged with Amoco[/COLOR"> (formerly Standard Oil of Indiana) in December 1998,<SUP id=cite_ref-29 =reference><SPAN">[</SPAN">30<SPAN">"></SPAN">[/COLOR"> becoming BP Amoco plc.<SUP id=cite_ref-namechg_30-0 =reference><SPAN>[</SPAN>31<SPAN>"></SPAN> In 2000, BP Amoco acquired Arco (Atlantic Richfield Co.)[/COLOR"><SUP id=cite_ref-31 =reference><SPAN">[</SPAN">32<SPAN">"></SPAN">[/COLOR"> and Burmah Castrol[/COLOR"> plc.<SUP id=cite_ref-32 =reference><SPAN">[</SPAN">33<SPAN">"></SPAN">[/COLOR"> In 2001 the company formally renamed itself as BP plc<SUP id=cite_ref-namechg_30-1 =reference><SPAN>[</SPAN>31<SPAN>"></SPAN> and adopted the tagline "Beyond Petroleum," which remains in use today. It states that BP was never meant to be an abbreviation of its tagline. Most Amoco stations in the United States were converted to BP's brand and corporate identity. In many states, however, BP continued to sell Amoco branded gasoline even in service stations with the BP identity as Amoco was rated the best petroleum brand by consumers for 16 consecutive years and also enjoyed one of the three highest brand loyalty reputations for gasoline in the US, comparable only to Chevron[/COLOR"> and Shell[/COLOR">. In May 2008, when the Amoco name was mostly phased out in favour of "BP Gasoline with Invigorate", promoting BP's new additive, the highest grade of BP gasoline available in the United States was still called Amoco Ultimate.

Hi Angel,

I think my point is that often Americans don't have much idea what goes on in the rest of the world. (sorry you guys..but you are renowned for that..just as we in UK are renowned for wet weather)

So sometimes I have to shout a little, lol, just to correct the majority

Seems like the company is really trying to sort it.

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/Business/BP-Says-The-Total-Cost-Of-The-Oil-Spill-Clean-Up-Operation-Is-More-Than-15bn-So-Far/Article/201006415654735?lpos=Business_First_World_News_Article_Teaser_Region_0&lid=ARTICLE_15654735_BP_Says_The_Total_Cost_Of_The_Oil_Spill_Clean-Up_Operation_Is_More_Than_%3F1.5bn_So_Far

Oh! thats some link! lol Really, I do hope it gets sorted asap

Smile

I haven't looked into it but I think Kevin Costner has some solution that he proposed.  

Edited by Angel - 30 June 2010 at 7:31am
~ Our feet are earthbound, but our hearts and our minds have wings ~
Angel View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2010 at 7:35am
Originally posted by abuayisha abuayisha wrote:

"Is he not allowed to pee anymore either?"   Interesting, there is a joke floating around about BP (Bee Pee).
http://www.ebaumsworld.com/jokes/read/1039401/

LOL
~ Our feet are earthbound, but our hearts and our minds have wings ~
Sign*Reader View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sign*Reader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2010 at 1:07am

How many people remember how much oil  flowed into Persian Gulf in the first Iraqi invasion of 1990 cuz that didn't cover US beaches, the shoe is on the other foot...

Almost a billion gallons by some estimates and Saudis are still having their beaches cleaned up after 20 years! It was OK cuz they didn't go surfing or swimming like the Americans do ...It is a big hurt...

THE METER on Gulf of Mexico

Edited by Sign*Reader - 15 July 2010 at 1:25am
Kismet Domino: Faith/Courage/Liberty/Abundance/Selfishness/Immorality/Apathy/Bondage or extinction.
Tiffany View Drop Down
Starter
Starter
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiffany Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2010 at 4:17am
Look, I don't often agree with the way my country handles things. America can be a rather strange place. I'm sorry about what happened to you. You are in pain, and that makes you angry. But I cannot do anything about that. I'm just me. I'm not your stereo-typical American, believe me. But this also means that I am not the one you should be blaming. Up until the time you mentioned this, I had known nothing about it. I am only twenty-five. That means that I was five years old when you were hurt; when your country was hurt; when you felt this devastation. I could not have possibly understood what you've been through.

However, I am one person, and, individually, so is everybody else in the US. Please, comfort us, because you understand our pain. I am begging you, do not condemn our country and laugh as we weep. Some of the men over on that end have even commit suicide because they thought that this would never get better. Please, do not offer cruelty, but comfort, because you know what we are going through.

I know you are human. I know you have a heart. I know that you are a good and decent human-being, and you care about what happens to others. Please forgive the people of my country that have wronged you, and have mercy. I would never have wished this kind of pain on you.

I don't know you, Sign*Reader, but in order to be on this board, you have to be a good person, otherwise you would not be here, and you would certainly not be a muslim. After all, muslims are supposed to be wonderful people that submit to Allah, who is most good, most beneficent, most merciful. Are you not like your maker, who had you wonderfully made?

In you, Allah made a wonderful person. If Allah thought you were bad and did not love you, he would have gotten rid of you a long time ago. Yes, the shoe is on the other foot, but don't be cruel. If you know how much this hurts, would you ever wish it on another human being? So please, be that wonderful person that you are, and at least have mercy on me. This is not easy for me to watch.
martha View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2010 at 7:55am

It is really sad that this has happened. HOwever lets be sensible about this...11 men died I believe, is that right?

Sure, many hundreds of people have had their livelihoods damaged for some considerable time. BUt there has been more media coverage of the BP oil spill than Hurricane Katrina! ANd then almost 2,000 people lost their lives. So, where were all the Americans then? DId they all drive down to help those affected by the hurricane? Yet how many demonstrations have taken place over BP? Remember of course that it is no longer British Petroleum. So rather pointless to see British flags burning. Did the demonstrators burn the US flag too as 39% of BP shareholders are American?!

Personally I think Americans have little to gripe about in general. THey have not experienced modern warfare on their own land, AMericans are the most obese in the world which shows the living is also good. Prices are cheap too in practically everything from gas to a McDonalds burger.
It is really sad and almost funny to see people whinging about a genuine accident which, GOD willing, will be resolved soon.

As Sign* has said the shoe is on the other foot and the Americans just don;t like it. Would that be cos they aren;t in control of this situation?

some of us are a lot like cement:- all mixed up and permanently set
angelica View Drop Down
Starter
Starter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote angelica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 November 2010 at 1:05am
you got a point but being a leader he should make actions immediately.. seeing his people in that situation is agonizing.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic