IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Humour
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Oil Spill  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Oil Spill

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Starter
Starter
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiffany Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Oil Spill
    Posted: 23 June 2010 at 11:26am
Recently, there's been an oil-spill on the eastern sea-board in the U.S.A. I live in Alaska, U.S.A., so I know what an oil-spill is like, seeing as we had one in Valdez.

Anyway, the CEO of British Petroleum decided that, instead of helping us to clean up the mess one day, he was going to go sailing on his yacht. This made many people angry.

One comedian over here decided that the best way to solve this problem was to take a submarine and launch a missile at the yacht from underwater. I know that it doesn't sound funny, but you should have seen the pictures that were shown.

No blood or anything, but I think it serves him right. You see, he said that he would do whatever he could to help, and here he is on a luxurious yacht, and, in reality, he is refusing to do anything about our problem.

Personally, I find his actions insulting.
semar View Drop Down
Male Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote semar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 June 2010 at 12:12pm

Yes it is irresponsible action. However because it already happened so what I can say, hopefully by "sailing" he can refresh his mind and can come up with "miracle" solution to solve oil-spill problem.

Salam/Peace,

Semar

"We are people who do not eat until we are hungry and do not eat to our fill." (Prophet Muhammad PBUH)

"1/3 of your stomach for food, 1/3 for water, 1/3 for air"
martha View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 June 2010 at 2:17pm
Look! IT IS NOT CALLED BRITISH PETROLEUM ANYMORE!!!! It is not even British anymore.
It was renamed BP several years back. It's shareholders are as follows, for those that don;t know

40% British shareholders
39% AMERICAN shareholders
21% Other.

Why are people blaming ONE man who has happened to take a day off to go sailing since the disaster. Is he not allowed to pee anymore either?

It was NOT his fault,so why is he held responsible? I believe he wasn;t even there on the day of the disaster. Do you think he went diving and pulled the plug that day?

The US government APPROVED the safety regulations of the whole set up. Why don't you blame America also? Good lord! Your President needs educating in this matter also. Please tell him to stop saying British Petroleum!

Please get your facts right Americans!! It is called BP!!!! ANd for a country that is guilty of most of the pollution then I think you are living double standards here.

MAny thanks.!

some of us are a lot like cement:- all mixed up and permanently set
Angel View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2010 at 10:44am

martha calm down Smile

I, myself have been under the impression to this day or until I read your post and looked it up, that its was still British Petroleum. If people still under the impression that its still British petroleum then maybe it's the fault of the company for not doing a world wide advertisement of the change.

Recent years
British Petroleum merged with Amoco (formerly Standard Oil of Indiana) in December 1998,[30] becoming BP Amoco plc.[31] In 2000, BP Amoco acquired Arco (Atlantic Richfield Co.)[32] and Burmah Castrol plc.[33] In 2001 the company formally renamed itself as BP plc[31] and adopted the tagline "Beyond Petroleum," which remains in use today. It states that BP was never meant to be an abbreviation of its tagline. Most Amoco stations in the United States were converted to BP's brand and corporate identity. In many states, however, BP continued to sell Amoco branded gasoline even in service stations with the BP identity as Amoco was rated the best petroleum brand by consumers for 16 consecutive years and also enjoyed one of the three highest brand loyalty reputations for gasoline in the US, comparable only to Chevron and Shell. In May 2008, when the Amoco name was mostly phased out in favour of "BP Gasoline with Invigorate", promoting BP's new additive, the highest grade of BP gasoline available in the United States was still called Amoco Ultimate.
~ Our feet are earthbound, but our hearts and our minds have wings ~
martha View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2010 at 11:22am
Originally posted by Angel Angel wrote:

martha calm down Smile

I, myself have been under the impression to this day or until I read your post and looked it up, that its was still British Petroleum. If people still under the impression that its still British petroleum then maybe it's the fault of the company for not doing a world wide advertisement of the change.

<SPAN id=Recent_years =mw-line>Recent years</SPAN>

<SPAN =mw-line></SPAN>British Petroleum merged with Amoco[/COLOR"> (formerly Standard Oil of Indiana) in December 1998,<SUP id=cite_ref-29 =reference><SPAN">[</SPAN">30<SPAN">"></SPAN">[/COLOR"> becoming BP Amoco plc.<SUP id=cite_ref-namechg_30-0 =reference><SPAN>[</SPAN>31<SPAN>"></SPAN> In 2000, BP Amoco acquired Arco (Atlantic Richfield Co.)[/COLOR"><SUP id=cite_ref-31 =reference><SPAN">[</SPAN">32<SPAN">"></SPAN">[/COLOR"> and Burmah Castrol[/COLOR"> plc.<SUP id=cite_ref-32 =reference><SPAN">[</SPAN">33<SPAN">"></SPAN">[/COLOR"> In 2001 the company formally renamed itself as BP plc<SUP id=cite_ref-namechg_30-1 =reference><SPAN>[</SPAN>31<SPAN>"></SPAN> and adopted the tagline "Beyond Petroleum," which remains in use today. It states that BP was never meant to be an abbreviation of its tagline. Most Amoco stations in the United States were converted to BP's brand and corporate identity. In many states, however, BP continued to sell Amoco branded gasoline even in service stations with the BP identity as Amoco was rated the best petroleum brand by consumers for 16 consecutive years and also enjoyed one of the three highest brand loyalty reputations for gasoline in the US, comparable only to Chevron[/COLOR"> and Shell[/COLOR">. In May 2008, when the Amoco name was mostly phased out in favour of "BP Gasoline with Invigorate", promoting BP's new additive, the highest grade of BP gasoline available in the United States was still called Amoco Ultimate.

Hi Angel,

I think my point is that often Americans don't have much idea what goes on in the rest of the world. (sorry you guys..but you are renowned for that..just as we in UK are renowned for wet weather)

So sometimes I have to shout a little, lol, just to correct the majority

Seems like the company is really trying to sort it.

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/Business/BP-Says-The-Total-Cost-Of-The-Oil-Spill-Clean-Up-Operation-Is-More-Than-15bn-So-Far/Article/201006415654735?lpos=Business_First_World_News_Article_Teaser_Region_0&lid=ARTICLE_15654735_BP_Says_The_Total_Cost_Of_The_Oil_Spill_Clean-Up_Operation_Is_More_Than_%3F1.5bn_So_Far

Oh! thats some link! lol Really, I do hope it gets sorted asap

abuayisha View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Muslim
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abuayisha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2010 at 12:41pm
"Is he not allowed to pee anymore either?"   Interesting, there is a joke floating around about BP (Bee Pee).
http://www.ebaumsworld.com/jokes/read/1039401/

Edited by abuayisha - 25 June 2010 at 12:48pm
Tiffany View Drop Down
Starter
Starter
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiffany Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2010 at 3:02pm
Again, I have to apologize for my behavior. The joke was, in itself, crude, and disrespectful.

Yes, Martha, I realize that Americans meddle too much in the affairs of other countries. That is something I have never agreed with. I didn't support our last president, and, to some degree, as much as I like and support President Obama, he is a little questionable, too, and rather provocative.

As far as living the good life, maybe you're right. After all, I have government benefits, and I live in a nice, one-bedroom apartment. I get $1,022 a month, because I am unable to work. I have started to praise Allah at least once a day for the wonderful things he has given me. I don't know anything about Islam at the moment, so this is really all I can do, until I can find someone to give me some literature. Maybe I should ask Allah to help those in need, and put them in my prayers? I know that he listens to people, even those like me, who have mental illnesses.

If Allah can hear a new-born's cry as s/he enters this world (which I'm sure he does), then he will hear my first attempts at prayer, and guide me to the straight way.

Funny thing: I was angry yesterday. Quietly, I began to praise Allah for all the good he has given me and all the wonderful people in my life. I felt a sense of contentment and calm, and while I didn't stop being angry, I did calm down enough to look at the situation, and realize that it wasn't as bad as I thought it was.

Peace be to His Prophet, and praise Allah for his goodness. Finally, I can try to control my temper. You have no idea how long I've been searching and waiting to find something that works. You find solutions to your problems in the most unlikely of places.

May you have a good day.

Praise Allah for his ability to bring peace to my heart and to my mind, and may he do the same for you.
martha View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2010 at 1:37pm
Hi Tiffany,

I actually think you're doing great.
It's good to analyis ourselves, try figure out where we're headed.
And God will always listen of course.
I love to thank Him for my blessings. Like you I am on benefits and unable to work.So it looks like we have a few things in common :)

I can;t see you can go wrong anywhere as long as you;re doing your best. That is all He expects of us at the end of the day. Your personal relationship with Him will last and grow daily as you learn more.

Hope you are having a good weekend.

Chat soon x
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic