IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Prophets Muhammad
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - The Miracles of the Prophet Muhammad  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Miracles of the Prophet Muhammad

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Senior  Member
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Full of Hopes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Miracles of the Prophet Muhammad
    Posted: 24 May 2010 at 2:42pm
The Miracles of the Prophet Muhammad 
sallall�hu 'alayhi wa sallam 
By Im�m an-Nawaw� rahimahull�h
From 'Life of the Messenger'

The Messenger of All�h  possesses many manifest miracles and signs demonstrating [his veracity], reaching thousands and they are well known.

From amongst them was the Qur'�n, the manifest and clear miracle and brilliant proof, falsehood cannot approach it from before it or behind it. It is a revelation from One Who is All-Wise and Praiseworthy. It incapacitated the most eloquent of people in the most eloquent of times to produce a single chapter than would be comparable to it, even if the whole of creation were to gather for that purpose. All�h, the Exalted says,
"Say: if the whole of mankind and the jinn gathered in order to produce the like of this Qur'�n, they could not produce the like of it, even if they assisted each other."
[Al-Isr�' (17):88]
It challenged them to this despite their large numbers, their eloquence and their severe enmity, and it challenges them to this day. 

As for the other miracles, it is not possible to enumerate them all due to their huge number and renewing and increasing nature. I will mention some examples:

The splitting of the moon, water flowing from between his fingers, increasing the quantity of food and water, the glorification of the food, the palm tree yearning for him, stones greeting him, the talking of the poisoned leg [of roasted sheep], trees walking towards him, two trees that were far apart coming together and then parting again, the barren [and therefore dry] sheep giving milk, his returning the eye of Qat�dah bin an-Nu'm�n to its place with his hand after it had slipped out, his splitting lightly into the eye of 'Al� when it had become inflamed and its being cured almost immediately, his wiping the leg of 'Abdull�h bin 'At�q whereupon he was immediately cured.

His informing of the places of death of the polytheists on the Day of Badr saying, 'this is the place of such-and-such a person.' His informing of his killing Ubayy ibn Khalaf, that a group of his nation would traverse an ocean and Umm Har�m would be amongst them and this occurred. That all was drawn together for him of the ends of the earth and displayed to him would be opened for his nation, that the treasures of Chosroes would be spend by his nation in the Way of All�h, the Mighty and Magnificent. That he feared for his nation that they would be tempted by the wealth and allurement of this world and that the treasures of the Persians and Romans would be ours and that Sur�qah bin M�lik would wear the trousers of Chosroes.

He  informed us that Hasan bin 'Al� would reconcile between two large warring parties of Muslims, that Sa'd bin Ab� Waqq�s would live such that nations would benefit by him and others would be harmed. That an-Naj�sh� had died on this particular day while he was in Ethiopia and that al-Aswad al-Ans� had been killed on this particular day while he was in Yemen.

That the Muslims would fight the Turks who were described as having small eyes, wide faces and small, chiselled noses and that Yemen, Syria and Ir�q would be conquered by the Muslims.
He informed us that the Muslims would comprise three armies, an army in Syria, an army in Yemen and an army in Ir�q. That they would conquer Egypt, a land whose [unit of land measurement] was the Q�r�t, they they should deal with their people well for they have protection [being Copts] and ties of kinship [through Hajar]. That Awais al-Qarn� would come to you from the auxiliaries of Yemen, he would be affected with leprosy and it would be healed except for the space of a dirham, and he indeed arrived during the rule of 'Umar.

He  informed us that a group of his nation would always be upon the truth and that mankind would become many in number and that the Ans�r would diminish in number and that the Ans�r would not be given their due [with regards distribution of wealth and leadership]. 

That mankind would keep on asking questions until they would say, "All�h created the creation ..."[Referring to the had�th, "the people will continue asking until they say, 'this is All�h who created everything ... but who created All�h?' " 
Reported by al-Bukh�r� [no.7296] and Muslim [no.136] ]

He  informed us that Ruwayf�' bin Th�bit would live a long life, that 'Amm�r bin Y�sir would be killed by the transgressing group, that this nation shall divide into sects and that they would fight each other.

He  informed us that a fire would emanate from the land of Hij�z and the likes of this. 

All of this occurred exactly as he , sallall�hu 'alayhi wa sallam, said it would.

He  said to Th�bit bin Qays,
"You will live being praised ... and you will die as a martyr."
and he lived being praised and was martyred at al-Yam�mah. 

He  said about 'Uthm�n,
"He would afflicted by a severe trial." [The meaning of severe trial is his being imprisoned in his house and his being killed by transgressors. ]

He  said about a person amongst the Muslims who had just fought a severe fight that,
"He would be from amongst the denizens of the Fire."

and later he committed suicide. W�bisah bin Ma'bad came to him in order to ask him about righteousness and sin upon which he asked,
"Have you come to ask about righteousness and sin?"

He  said to 'Al�, az-Zubair and al-Miqd�d,
"Go to the garden of Kh�kh for indeed there is Dha'�nah* who has a book with her."
They found her there but she initially denied having the book and then took it our from within her braids. 

He  said to Ab� Hurayrah, when Satan had stolen some dates, "indeed he shall return ... " and he did.

He  said to his wives, "The most prolific of you in giving charity will be the quickest of you to join me,"and it was so. 

[Zaynab bint Jahsh radiall�hu 'anh� was the most prolific of them in giving charity and was the first to die. Refer to Muslim [no.2452].]

He  said to 'Abdull�h bin Sall�m, "You will remain upon Isl�m until you die."

He  supplicated for Anas that his wealth and sons increase and that he should live a long life and it was so. He lived for more than one hundred years and not one of the Ans�r was richer than he and one hundred and twenty of his children had been buried before the arrival of al-Hajj�j [to Basrah]. 
This is detailed further in Sah�h al-Bukh�r� [no.1982] and others.

He  sallall�hu 'alayhi wa sallam supplicated that Isl�m be strengthened through 'Umar bin al-Khattab or Ab� Jahl, and All�h strengthened it through 'Umar radiall�hu 'anhu. He supplicated against Sur�qah bin M�lik and the feet of his horse sank into the earth and he was thrown off, he called out asking for safe conduct and was granted it, then he asked the Prophet to make a supplication for him.

He  supplicated that All�h remove feeling the bitter cold and heat from 'Al� and so never did he feel cold or hot. 

He  supplicated for Hudhayfah, the night that he sent him to spy on the Confederates, that he not feel the cold and he did not until he had returned. 

He  supplicated for ibn 'Abb�s that All�h grant him understanding of the religion and it was so. 

He  supplicated against 'Utaybah bin Ab� Lahab that All�h cause a dog from amongst His dogs to overcome him and he was killed by a lion at az-Zarq�'.

He  sallall�hu 'alayhi wa sallam supplicated for the descent of rain when they asked him to at the time of drought, there was not a single cloud in the sky, then when he had supplicated, the clouds gathered like mountains and it rained until the next Friday. It rained so much they they had to come back and ask him to supplicated and stop the rain, so he supplicated and the rain stopped and they out into the glaring sun.
He supplicated for Ab� Talhah and his wife, Umm Sulaym, that he bless them in the night they had spent together and she became pregnant and gave birth to 'Adull�h. He had nine children and all of them were scholars.

He  sallall�hu 'alayhi wa sallam supplicated for the mother of Ab� Hurayrah radiall�hu 'anhu that she be guided and Ab� Hurayrah left to find her performing the ritual bath because she had accepted Isl�m.

He  supplicated for Umm Qays bint Muhsin, the sister of 'Ukkasha, that she live a long life and we do not know of another woman who lived as long as she did.
This was reported by an-Nas�'� in the chapter concerning washing the deceased.

On the Day of Hunain he threw a handful of dirt at the disbelievers and said, "May the faces be disfigured," and All�h, the Exalted, vanquished them, filling their eyes with dirt. 

He once went out to one hundred of the Quraysh who were waiting to do something horrible to him and he put dirt on their head and went on his way without their seeing him.

* [This is the woman with whom Has�b al-Balta'ah radiall�hu 'anhu sent a letter to the people of Mecca in order to inform them of the plans of the Messenger of All�h sallall�hu 'alayhi wa sallam to fight them. It was concerning this that the first verses of S�rah Mumtahinah were revealed. The garden of Kh�kh is a place falling between Mecca and Mad�nah. Refer to Bukh�r� [no.3983] and Muslim [no.2494] and Tafs�r ibn Kath�r [4/344].]
And whoever seeks a religion other than Isl�m, it will never be accepted of him, and in the Hereafter he will be one of the losers(3:85)
I♥Jesus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I♥Jesus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2010 at 4:07pm
"The splitting of the moon, water flowing from between his fingers, increasing the quantity of food and water, the glorification of the food, the palm tree yearning for him, stones greeting him, the talking of the poisoned leg [of roasted sheep], trees walking towards him, two trees that were far apart coming together and then parting again, the barren [and therefore dry] sheep giving milk, his returning the eye of Qat�dah bin an-Nu'm�n to its place with his hand after it had slipped out, his splitting lightly into the eye of 'Al� when it had become inflamed and its being cured almost immediately, his wiping the leg of 'Abdull�h bin 'At�q whereupon he was immediately cured."

I have a reference for the water flowing from the fingers but would ike references for these others (particularly the ones related to healing) if anyone has them. Thank you.
If Allah had so willed, He would have made you a single people, but (His plan is) to test you in what He hath given you: so strive as in a race in all virtues. 5:48
islamispeace View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote islamispeace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2010 at 12:04pm
The following article summarizes some of the miracles and provides references:

http://muslim-responses.com/Miracles_of_prophet_Muhammad/Miracles_of_prophet_Muhammad_

Say: "Truly, my prayer and my service of sacrifice, my life and my death, are (all) for Allah, the Cherisher of the Worlds. (Surat al-Anaam: 162)

I♥Jesus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I♥Jesus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2010 at 1:13pm
Thank you,IslamIsPeace.  That is helpful.  One in particular I have been looking for is where Muhammad multiplies food.  I know it is the last or next to last entry in one of the first 32 volumes of Bukhari, because that is how far I read before I said 'Uncle' and gave up LOL
Anyway, electronic search doesn't work for that but if someone has an actual copy of Bukhari and would look that up I would appreciate it.
If Allah had so willed, He would have made you a single people, but (His plan is) to test you in what He hath given you: so strive as in a race in all virtues. 5:48
islamispeace View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote islamispeace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2010 at 8:19pm
Volume 4, Book 56, Number 781 is I think what you are talking about.  It is lengthy so I will post the relevant part:

By Allah, whenever we took a handful of the meal, the meal grew from underneath more than that handful till everybody ate to his satisfaction; yet the remaining food was more than the original meal. Abu Bakr saw that the food was as much or more than the original amount. He called his wife, "O sister of Bani Firas!" She said, "O pleasure of my eyes. The food has been tripled in quantity."
Say: "Truly, my prayer and my service of sacrifice, my life and my death, are (all) for Allah, the Cherisher of the Worlds. (Surat al-Anaam: 162)

I♥Jesus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I♥Jesus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2010 at 8:24pm
Thank you! 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic