IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Basics of Islam
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - modest dress  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

modest dress

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Starter
Starter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rich kenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 November 2010 at 4:22pm
It is great we have such great guidance here on the forum network, there are alot of mis-informations on the internet regarding the modest dress subject.
dwebnov10 View Drop Down
Starter
Starter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwebnov10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 November 2010 at 7:54pm
Dear Chrysalis

Thanks for the detailed explanation.  Now it is very clear why most women opt for black or white scarves/burkhas.
Hidden_Pearl View Drop Down
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hidden_Pearl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 March 2011 at 10:08am
I think the appropriate dress for the muslm woman is a subject that creates a lot of confusion and distraction. Some of the common misconceptions stem from conflating what individual muslimas choose to wear (according to their personal taste/culture/social environment) with what the Qur'an and Sunnah tell us about how to dress. The guidelines are in the Qur'aan and Hadith of the Prophet (SWS), not in the customs or desires of people.
When I first reverted, as a woman, there were changes to be made in my wardrobe and personal appearance. People generally advised me to dress "modestly"- ie cover a s much skin as possible. They told me that the hijab would come with time-  "the real hijab is in the heart",don't rush things, etc. It was only when I read more Qur'an and Hadith and understood more about my deen that I got the difference between what people may consider modest or appropriate and exactly how we are commanded to dress by Allah SWT. That's when I made the real adjustments to my dress and put on hijab full-time, and then graduated to abaya- which I love!
If muslimas desire to wear black or white or hot pink, there is no harm in it, it's according to custom or choice- not because their religion dictates it. Like wise, wearing the niqab which covers the face, is not an obligation- outside somewhere like Saudi Arabia, that is! It tends to be a personal decision- and don't think it's because some man is forcing them to do so! In fact, there are some fathers and husbands that don't like their daughters and wives to wear hijab, much less niqab. I myself would like to go further in my covering and wear niqab, but as my husband isn't so keen on it I'm not!
Hope that helps you some, and congragulations on becoming a muslima- alhamdulillah! Read as much as you can and increase your knowledge, inshallah, which will arm you for everything you have to face. Many muslims will advise you, and they may be well intentioned, but don't base your decisions purely on what people say- believe me, you will hear lots of conflicting things!

aisha87 View Drop Down
Starter
Starter
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aisha87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 December 2011 at 6:12am

Salamu Alaikum,

Alhamdulillah for the discussion, I wandered if your family are not Muslim, would you still need to wear hijab in front of your mahram?

Wardah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wardah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 December 2011 at 7:21am
Aslamo alecum

MashaAllah, its good to see people helping each other however I have read or seen lots of thing about women dress in Islam but how about brothers? they should have restrictions on their Islamic dress like women, but why no budy talks about it?????
Chrysalis View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chrysalis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2011 at 9:52pm
Originally posted by aisha87 aisha87 wrote:

Salamu Alaikum,

Alhamdulillah for the discussion, I wandered if your family are not Muslim, would you still need to wear hijab in front of your mahram?

Good question aisha87, I looked this up on the internet and the scholar says that it is not required of muslim to observe Hijab in front of non-muslim mahrams. They are still your mahrams.

Here is an excerpt from the fatwa:

"Your maternal uncle is considered to be a mahram for you, and on this basis it is permissible for you to take off your hijab in front of him. There is no report that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) ordered the Muslim women to observe hijaab in front of their non-muslim relatives. 

But the scholars have mentioned that the relative in front of whom the woman takes off her hijab should be trustworthy. This condition applies to both Muslims and non-muslims."  - Fataawa al-Mar�ah al-Muslimah, 1/532, 533  (And Allah Knows Best).

Ok yes I know it is not the best thing to look up fatwas on the internet, but we gotta work with whatever resources we have! May Allah guide us all. It is always best to ask a scholar in person. (but do a background check on your local scholar too! Always ask for proofs from Quran & Sunnah).

I would also recommend that you read up on this website, it has good resources:

http://www.suhaibwebb.com/

"O Lord, forgive me, my parents and Muslims in the Hereafter. O Lord, show mercy on them as they showed mercy to me when I was young."
arsomartinera View Drop Down
Starter.
Starter.
Male Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arsomartinera Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 November 2019 at 12:28pm
Indecent dressing and exposure of your body reduces your value and respect.
Always dress decently.

Noor-e-hidayat View Drop Down
Male Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Noor-e-hidayat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 November 2019 at 2:10am
Nice Reply Heart

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic