IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Basics of Islam
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - modest dress  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

modest dress

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Starter
Starter

Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nicewoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: modest dress
    Posted: 21 May 2010 at 3:17pm
Greetings,
I am very impressed with Islam and considering conversion. I am confused about dressing modest as a woman. What is considered adequate for a beginner female to wear that maybe would not be too shocking to my family who are christian, but at the same time would be in keeping with Islamic modesty?
semar View Drop Down
Male Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote semar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2010 at 3:49pm
Salam/Peace,

First welcome to the forum. hope you enjoy your stay.

You can use regular clothing (tshirt and long pant, etc) as long as not too tight that show your body shape vividly. Yes agree with you we have to do everything gradually.

Edited by semar - 21 May 2010 at 3:50pm
Salam/Peace,

Semar

"We are people who do not eat until we are hungry and do not eat to our fill." (Prophet Muhammad PBUH)

"1/3 of your stomach for food, 1/3 for water, 1/3 for air"
nicewoman View Drop Down
Starter
Starter

Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nicewoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2010 at 3:57pm
I was also uneducated about hair covering. Is it ok to wear a regular lace-like scarf that covers most of my hair but not all in the front?
semar View Drop Down
Male Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote semar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2010 at 4:00pm
Yes it's OK. Many muslim woman do that.
Salam/Peace,

Semar

"We are people who do not eat until we are hungry and do not eat to our fill." (Prophet Muhammad PBUH)

"1/3 of your stomach for food, 1/3 for water, 1/3 for air"
nicewoman View Drop Down
Starter
Starter

Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nicewoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2010 at 4:14pm
Thank you. It is kind of you to answer my questions. I feel much better and confident now about what to wear.
Hayfa View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hayfa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2010 at 7:39pm
Asalaam alaikum,

I to owould start with the loose clothing and go from there.
When you do things from your soul, you feel a river moving in you, a joy. Rumi
Chrysalis View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chrysalis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2010 at 5:15am
Originally posted by nicewoman nicewoman wrote:

Greetings,
I am very impressed with Islam and considering conversion. I am confused about dressing modest as a woman. What is considered adequate for a beginner female to wear that maybe would not be too shocking to my family who are christian, but at the same time would be in keeping with Islamic modesty?

Peace be unto you Nicewoman . . . Smile

I agree with Semar & Hayfa. Work your way up gradually. Start off by choosing looser clothes . . . longer sleeves . . . etc. God Willing, you shall soon find yourself embracing the correct dress code. Make sure you cover the basics first - i.e. the attractive curves. It would be a good idea to take attention away from the bosom, and curves. (can use Jackets, scarves, waist-coats etc)

When one starts to cover up - after a while, covering up becomes like a second nature, and you no longer have to make a 'conscious' effort and you feel 'exposed' wearing anything less.

You don't have to throw away all your previous clothes. Just find a way to make them modest. E.g you could wear full sleeves under your sleeveless, or a tank-top inside if the neck-line is deep. I'm sure you get the idea. In fact, should be fun to experiment Smile

Also, just in case you didn't know - you don't have to cover-up or wear a headscarf in front of blood-related relatives such as your Father, Brother, Uncles, Grandparents, or boys under the age of puberty. (nor females). So hopefully it would be easier, since you don't have to change your appearance for them - only for unrelated males.

I'll post a video/article later so you can get an idea of how Muslim women dress/shop - might be of help. Just to give you an idea.

Best wishes for your modest endeavor !

"O Lord, forgive me, my parents and Muslims in the Hereafter. O Lord, show mercy on them as they showed mercy to me when I was young."
nicewoman View Drop Down
Starter
Starter

Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nicewoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2010 at 5:28am
Thank you for your advice. It sounds reasonable to me to begin with loose clothes and to convert my own wardrobe to meet my needs.
I did not know about family and relatives. This will make my transition easier to be relaxed at home and not worry so much about dressing there. I have found that I feel much more comfortable with my hair covered and I am enjoying trying new types of scarves.
Thank you again
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic