IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Discussion
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Cousin Marriages  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Cousin Marriages

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iftikhar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cousin Marriages
    Posted: 06 May 2010 at 9:27am

Cousin Marriages

Cousin marriage is common in all Muslim countries. It is in accordance with the teaching of the Holy Quran and our Prophet had married his daughter with his uncle son. There were no defects in the children. Cousin marriage is thought to generate more stable relationship. Children are born with defects whether it is cousin marriage or not. Among migrant Muslim communities the defects are due to many factors. The pressure of moving to a different cultural environment and moving from their families, problems of racism and employment are responsible for the defects during pregnancies. The defects are nothing to do with cousin marriages. The hidden agenda is that British society does not want Muslims to bring their spouses from Muslim countries. A man/woman has the right to marry anybody from anywhere. It is a question of human right and the right given to Muslims by the Holy Quran and the sayings of the Holy Prophet. 

I would like to see each and every Pakistani parent should marry their sons and daughters in Pakistan so that their offsprings could speak, read and write Urdu language and enjoy the beauty of their literature and poetry. The racist British education system has produced only notoriously monolingual Pakistani Brits. Pakistani parents would like their children to be well versed in Standard English, Arabic and Urdu languages and to be part of the British society as well as keeping in touch with their cultural roots.

Marrying cousin is and has always been legal in the UK. It is not only migrant communities who have children with their cousins, rural communities have their fair share�truly� and lets not even look at the inbreeding within royalty and the aristocracy. How else do you think the aristocracy held onto 90% of the land for so long? Muslim community is an easy target to wag the fingure at. There is no hard evidence that married to cousin causes birth defects. Before picking on Pakistanis just remember that Queen and Prince Phillip are third cousins. Glass houses�stone�. I do not think fingers should be pointed at Pakistani culture; it is another witch hunt against Muslim community. Native English people marry their cousins as well and have done for centuries. British society is ignorant regarding UK law. Henry V111 changed the law so he could marry his cousin. And it still remains legal to marry your cousin in UK today. In Britain, every Pakistani is not a Muslim and neither do they all get married to their cousins.  I am sick of British media and politicians like Baroness Ruth Deech and Keighly MP Ann Cryer bashing Muslim communities every day. The hatred towards Muslim communities has grown to a level that defies all logic and even affront to British values. The problem is that Britain has never made communities feel part of British identity and people lives �parallel lives�. Faith schools are part and parcel of British education system but Muslim schools are being discouraged and regarded as �Osama bib Laden Academies.

Iftikhar Ahmad

Gibbs View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gibbs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2010 at 9:18pm
I see the robot poster has returned! I know you will not respond to my post so I will entertain this thread. An argument supporting cousin marriages using organic science is like using physics to prove God exist. You are right about one thing defects happen whether children are conceived intrafamily unions or not.

However the closer one comes in family e.g. having children with sister or sisters children or brothers children increased the likelihood of defects in chromosomes. So yes defects happen but if cousins marry cousins whether first or second defects are likely to occur. And also these defects don't have to be on the body or in it. It could be genetic defects that lie dormant and passed on to further generations.
SteppeNomad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteppeNomad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2010 at 2:30am
Originally posted by Iftikhar Iftikhar wrote:

I would like to see each and every Pakistani parent should marry their sons and daughters in Pakistan so that their offsprings could speak, read and write Urdu language and enjoy the beauty of their literature and poetry. The racist British education system has produced only notoriously monolingual Pakistani Brits. Pakistani parents would like their children to be well versed in Standard English, Arabic and Urdu languages and to be part of the British society as well as keeping in touch with their cultural roots.

Confused When you go to your failed state, and learn a fluently English and Arabic, or when you go to an Arab country and learn a word of Urdu without being strapped to a construction site id be very happy to join you in fighting the "racist" education system. Not that i think it is perfect, but it is far from racist.

I dont think they need to have any other language then English as a part of the national curriculum, the rest other languages tuaght is a privilage. Maybe thier should be more schemes so children can learn the languages they wish or more support in Learning English, and other minority languages in the area.

But on a side note, many of the Pakistani and Asian girls ive met hate the idea of marrying thier cousins, and being intact with thier "roots".
Ya Allah, Bismillah, AllahuAkbar.
martha View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2010 at 3:42am
I expect this 'robot' read the following article.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/health/article7069255.ece

There is substantial evidence of birth defects when marrying cousins. Closer to home I have known of such cases.

The OP was correct that it is legal to marry a cousin in the UK. HOWEVER, it does not happen often amongst the English community, as it is not looked upon favourably by families and the community. There are those that are ostracised if they marry a cousin. Marrying cousins was only made legal here when Henry VIII wanted to marry his cousin( his excuse might have been religion)

Here is a list of prohibited UK marriages. NB under the category of cousin marriage it suggests consulting a doctor first.

http://www.weddingguideuk.com/articles/legal/prohibited.asp

ANd I agree with Steppe..many Asian girls these days do not like to marry their cousin.

some of us are a lot like cement:- all mixed up and permanently set
Iftikhar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iftikhar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2010 at 5:24am
But on a side note, many of the Pakistani and Asian girls ive met hate the idea of marrying thier cousins, and being intact with thier "roots".

They have been educated by non-Muslim monolingual teachers during their developmental periods. They dont know where they belong. Such Muslim youths are neither part of the Muslim community nor part of the host society. They are just economic slaves, working for the host economy.

It is a crime against humanity to send Muslim children to state schools with non-Muslim teachers. They are not role models. Look at the Black community living in western countries. They have adopted your culture and language but they are still the underdogs of your society. They have adopted all the cultural evils of your  society. You have been doing the same with Muslim community.

I have been campaigning for state funded Muslim schools since  early 70s. I set up the first Muslim school in 1981 and now there are 140 Muslim schools and 11 are state funded. My dream is to see each and every Muslim child in a Muslim schools with bilingual Muslim teacher so that they can learn and be well versed in standard English ad not local accents, Arabic ,Urdu and other community languages. A Muslim is a citizen of this tiny global village. He/she does not want to become notoriously monolingual Brit. 
Hayfa View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hayfa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2010 at 6:59am
Asalaam Aliakum,

Iftikhar, I can understand on one hand your angst in terms of education opportunities. On the other hand you come here once a month and post the same thing over and over.

I am a monolingual American and I am part  of a global village. And you are wrong, as an ESL teacher people to exist and thrive in this world, and live in the UK, people need to speak English. If you do not speak English you cannot, very easily, get a job. Period. Or else it is a less-skilled job.  I think it is great if people learn a 2nd language. That is wonderful.

And it bothers me you make Urdu as past of being "Muslim".  Truly as a Muslim the only other language Muslims ought to learn, as a Muslim is Arabic. Other languages are cultural. And I know plenty of Punjabis who view Urdu as the cultural imperial language of the ruling elite.. so lots of other politics.

And "adopting" the culture... I really, really wish you would distinguish between what is culture and not. Frankly as long as you live IN The UK and thus accept the economic model, you are part of the culture.  And Muslims are not just "slaves", the underclass is, Muslim or not.

Honestly if you have so much 'angst' about the kids, don't raise them in the UK. If the UK is SO horrible, go live elsewhere. And I rarely say that, but you are so against the country you live in.. others have left cause they don't like the culture.. That's fine.

And you think that the kids don't want cousin marriage due to culture.. well guess what, you - whoever - chose to live there. If you don't want them "influences' well.. then don't get so upset if they don't want to marry a cousin. The young won't be like you. They live in a different world. And there is NOTHING that says one HAS To marry a cousin. Nothing. Some people did, some people did not. Was Mothers Khadija or Aisha the cousin of our Prophet Mohammed (PBUH)?   This means people CAN choose. If someone does not want to marry a cousin so be it. Its called choice.
When you do things from your soul, you feel a river moving in you, a joy. Rumi
SteppeNomad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteppeNomad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2010 at 7:38am

They have been educated by non-Muslim monolingual teachers during their developmental periods. They dont know where they belong. Such Muslim youths are neither part of the Muslim community nor part of the host society. They are just economic slaves, working for the host economy.

Dw, plenty of them are from �backhome�, whom are from traditional asian families, and some educated in their home countries. Most are covered, and very conservative in their views, and only 5% of them worked, to bad even the minority some whom have to work because the guys sit on their ass and claim benefits and are to busy arguing whats bidah and what not at the masjids.

Plus, if you don�t want to add to the economy, and just feed off it, if you want to bring up lazy, useless children whom contribute nothing, other then hanging around mosque corners trying to pick up girls after lessons, or later on in age with the sole aim of "finding a right sister", and then before they kick the bucket a "hoor ayn", then id perfer that mentality not to effect anyone around me or many Muslims.

But then again, that�s why almost every Muslim economy is in ruins right and thiers no stability? Because of losers whom marry, two, three, four wives talk about how kuffar are bad, and what kind of munafiqs the other tribes are, hang around in cafes while the women become breadwinners for the house?

Maybe its the above the reasons why they dont want to marry backhome or even in the cultural shpere be some sort of property that is brought and sold between family members?

Or you going to blame the kuffar for that?.

It is a crime against humanity to send Muslim children to state schools with non-Muslim teachers. They are not role models. Look at the Black community living in western countries. They have adopted your culture and language but they are still the underdogs of your society. They have adopted all the cultural evils of your  society. You have been doing the same with Muslim community.

Crime against humanity? Are you seriouse? I hope not everyone thinks like you, maybe it�s a crime the parents got up and came to a non Muslim country in the first place? Would any other country in the world recognize any �language� but thiers, especailly fundies in the Mid east and elsewhere, as much as they do in the UK?

I find your post aimed at co likes such as yourself and people with identity issues whom think Arabic is something you have to be fleunt in to be a Muslim, your much older then me and ive disrespected enough, but I must ask, why do you and muslims such as yourself choose to live in this Evil society?

Or are you going to say �im paving to make my way outta here?�

"until I find myself a job somewhere in a stable, rich Mid eastern country"?

Edited by SteppeNomad - 07 May 2010 at 7:45am
Ya Allah, Bismillah, AllahuAkbar.
Gibbs View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gibbs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2010 at 7:48am
I was so warped by his statement on birth defects I missed the non-sequitors.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic