IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Basics of Islam
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Question  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Question

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Female Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seekshidayath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2010 at 3:10am
Walaikum Salaam

Back your answers with Qur'an Martha

Donkeys ! What was your questions exactly. By the way, Islam does not prohibit donkeys. If people do not treat well, its certainly wrong. Islam teaches us to love animals.
Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) said: �All the descendants of Adam are sinners, and the best of sinners are those who repent."
seekshidayath View Drop Down
Female Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seekshidayath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2010 at 3:11am

What do you say about the posts of dog, shared above ?
Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) said: �All the descendants of Adam are sinners, and the best of sinners are those who repent."
Chrysalis View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chrysalis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2010 at 12:31pm
In any case regardless of whether Dogs are allowed or not - this case is a bit different anyway. (Converts cannot be expected to make a 360 degree radical change in lifestyle - due to numerous hurdles) Since its not your Dog, but your Wife's. She being a non-Muslim has certain rights (including ownership of pets). It would be unreasonable for one to ask the spouse/expect her to make drastic changes due to change in one's own religious beliefs. I am sure the non-converted spouse already has misgivings or wierd feelings about the conversion - so drastic changes can only aggravate such situations.

The best situation I can think of - is to have a separate Prayer Area, so you don't have to worry about cleanliness. (Any room the Dog's not allowed in). Even though, Like AbuAysha's post mentions, touching/petting a Dog or having it pass thru an area doesnt make it unclean - for the fur is clean. It is only Saliva contact that makes things Najas or unclean. (According to all 4 schools of thought)

Even if your wife is supportive about your lifestyle change - I still don't think that "getting rid of the Dog" should be opted for. Rather, just make slight changes, like move the Dog into the yard. Because it would be a bit sad for the wife, and possible cruel for the Dog. After all, pets are a responsibility too, we are their guardians/wali. And Dogs can get really attached and dependent on the owners.

"O Lord, forgive me, my parents and Muslims in the Hereafter. O Lord, show mercy on them as they showed mercy to me when I was young."
martha View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2010 at 2:35pm
Salams Seeks,
THe article about dogs was interesting. I think on the whole there is little new about it, and we should use commonsense when being with dogs.
I have always been taught good hygiene practices as my parents kept dogs. So with my own kids I did the same. I can see though that not everyone would have learnt the same.
So it is important to teach others.
Dogs can make lovely companions though.
I really like cats :)

some of us are a lot like cement:- all mixed up and permanently set
Hayfa View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hayfa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2010 at 3:57am
Salaams,

I too love dogs, my sister's dogs are beautiful and amazing, and are actually quite clean on a whole. Smile

when I visit I just pray upstairs where they do not go. It is the saliva, not the dogs themselves. I agree with Chrysalis about the spouse being a nonMuslim and her rights are different.

Seeks, I understand what you wrote about potential parasites. The reality is that most westerners do not get these parasites, even living with dogs. Because they have access to clean water. All animals contain some parasites.

I had e a friend 15 years ago. She had a cat. Cats, as you may or may not know, will often drink water from anywhere besides their water dish. One time she, my friend, drank out of a glass of water, unknowingly after her cat did. She contacted a rare parasites that left her completely exhausted and a long time to diagnose. It took months and months of recovery.  So cats, which are fine as pets can have dangers too if people are unhygenic. 

so anytime I see "scientific research" I want to know Who are the scientists and exactly what is the study.  Probably all animals contain parasites that are not good for humans.  I agree with Martha, being around dogs or any other animal is about common sense hygiene practices.
When you do things from your soul, you feel a river moving in you, a joy. Rumi
gervaisleo123 View Drop Down
Starter
Starter

Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gervaisleo123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2010 at 10:54pm
Quote One point would like to clear that Islam does n't hate dogs

Sure it does.

Sahih Bukhari
004.054.540 --> Allah's Apostle ordered that the dogs should be killed.
003.029.054 --> Allah's Apostle said, "It is not sinful (of a Muhrim) to kill five kinds of animals, namely: the crow, the kite, the mouse, the scorpion and the rabid dog."
gervaisleo123 View Drop Down
Starter
Starter

Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gervaisleo123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2010 at 10:55pm
Quote Probably all animals contain parasites that are not good for humans
I share my ice-cream with my dog. Still very much healthy and alive.
Chrysalis View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chrysalis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2010 at 12:00pm
Originally posted by gervaisleo123 gervaisleo123 wrote:

Quote One point would like to clear that Islam does n't hate dogs

Sure it does.

Sahih Bukhari
004.054.540 --> Allah's Apostle ordered that the dogs should be killed.
003.029.054 --> Allah's Apostle said, "It is not sinful (of a Muhrim) to kill five kinds of animals, namely: the crow, the kite, the mouse, the scorpion and the rabid dog."

Whats so hateful about killing, or lets use the western term "euthanising" a rabid dog? (dog with rabies) That could infect humans with a deadly disease...

Edited by Chrysalis - 16 April 2010 at 12:04pm
"O Lord, forgive me, my parents and Muslims in the Hereafter. O Lord, show mercy on them as they showed mercy to me when I was young."
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic