IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Basics of Islam
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Question  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Question

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
abuayisha View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Muslim
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abuayisha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 February 2010 at 7:16am

As far as the hadith, "Indeed, the Angels do not enter a house that has a dog or an image inside." Narrated by Bukhari and Muslim, Imam an-Nawawi also mentioned that the scholars differed. Is it that the angels of mercy do not enter a house that has a dog (that is haram to keep) only or all dogs in general including the ones that are permissible to keep for the reasons that were mentioned. Allah knows best. But as far as the reason why the Angels do not enter, then this does not concern us. What is important is that they do not enter and when the angels of mercy enter the houses, they cause comfort, tranquility and barakah (blessings.)

1-The dog is considered unclean "Najaaza". It is only its saliva is the only unclean part. Prophet Mohammad (PBUH) said "Purifying a container that a dog has licked (to be used by humans) is done by washing it 7 times (Narrated by Al Bokhari).

2-Prophet Mohammad (PBUH) said "The Angels do not enter into a house that has a dog (Narrated by Al-Bukhari and Muslim).

3-Dogs are mentioned in Quran 5 times In Surat Al Kahf or "The Cave".(Al Kahf: 18;18-22).Allah counted the dog among the people of the cave which indicates that dogs are permitted to live among people.

4-Dogs have many values in our lives. Prophet Mohammad (PBUH) said "if you are using a trained dog for hunting you can eat what the dog hunted provided he did not eat from it.If he did do not eat it".(Fig-Al Sunna by Sayyed Sabeg" It is also reported in this reference that the dry fur of the dog is clean "Not Najaaza"

5-Two separate Hadiths narrated by Abu Hurayrah (He was a close companion of Prophet Mohammad, PBUH, and his name is Abdul-Rahman. He is called Abu Hurayra, meaning "father of kitten" because he was carrying a small cat with him all the time,caring and feeding it).The Prophet (PBUH) told his companions of the virtue of saving dog's life by giving water and quenching its thirst. One referred to was a man who was blessed by Allah for giving water to a thirsty dog. The other was a prostitute who filled her shoe with well-water and gave it to a dog that was lolling in thirst and could not reach the water. For this deed she was granted the ultimate reward: eternal Paradise.

6-Reported by Al-Bukhari that the people asked Prophet Mohammad (PBUH):"O Messenger, will we be rewarded for how we treat animals? He replied "In every living thing there is a reward" and also said "Whoever is kind to creatures of God is kind to himself" (Narrated by Abdallah bin Amur in Al-Bukhari and Muslim collections))

Edited by abuayisha - 25 February 2010 at 7:20am
seekshidayath View Drop Down
Female Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seekshidayath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 February 2010 at 6:33pm
Walaikum salaam wa rahmatullah

Very sorry for being late to respond. Had been reading but cud not write to you.

One point would like to clear that Islam does n't hate dogs.  At the same time as you said there are hadith which do not allow dogs in our homes. I understand your dilema. Brother, keep trying to explain your wife in very soft terms. Untill then, you see that, that pet does n't enter the room wherein you pray. Thats the best you can do for timebeing.

Wisom behind it - as you said they are unclean animals. For us brother, it shud be that its the command of Prophet, and we are to follow it. Is n't it Smile

Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) said: �All the descendants of Adam are sinners, and the best of sinners are those who repent."
Jabcrosshook View Drop Down
Starter
Starter
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jabcrosshook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 February 2010 at 6:43am
Asalam Alaykum, :)

I am pretty new to this site.  This is probably my 6th or 7th post.  Anyhow I have a rather complicated question.  Complicated on my part though.  I have read from various sources that keeping a dog is haram unless for hunting or protection but not as a pet and never in the home.  It is said Angels will not come into a home with dogs.  Ok here is my question.

1.  Why will Angels not be in the same home as a dog? 

My situation is I am pretty new Muslim.  My wife is not a muslim.  We had a dog prior to me becoming Muslim.  Well, basically it's her dog.  I mean I help out in feeding the dog etc but it is her dog.  Does this mean I have to ask her to get rid of her dog??

2.  I understand they are haram probably because they are not clean animals.  Why haram though.  I can undestand say Alcohol or adultry but why dogs?? 

Thanks, this has bothered me quite a bit.  Does this mean all my prayers are not heard because there is a dog in the house?  Thanks for the advice brothers and sisters.

Tony
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic