IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Interfaith Dialogue
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Race and Ethnicity in Islam  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Race and Ethnicity in Islam

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peacemaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Race and Ethnicity in Islam
    Posted: 09 February 2010 at 4:46am
Assalamu Alaikum and hello everyone,

I came across a link that addresses the race and ethnicity in Islam:

Edited by peacemaker - 09 February 2010 at 10:41am
Then which of the favours of your Lord will ye deny?
Qur'an 55:13
Gibbs View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gibbs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2010 at 8:00am
Peacemaker thank you for the link it was a very nice read! However, and unfortunately in this case I don't see how that changes anything or my opinion. I had to re-read what I said and I could understand how one may be confused with what I said.

In my opinion religions in particularly monotheistic faiths have an attached irony such as being exclusive and universal. Exclusive in the sense that the "truth" revealed to the prophet of. Particular culture is of the common language revealed to them and universal in the sense of ethical code. Ever major faith or let's say modern social conduct in these times have a particular moral code where humans typically gravitate towards each other unconsciously despite race.

Islam may have provided the spiritual comfort away from racism for Malcolm but with 5.1 billion people on the planet racism, or the potential to be racist is hardly eliminated but this thread isn't about race.....

Going back to my original point earlier religions are both exclusive and universal which is a constant conflict. Although Jesus loves me as a human, I will go to hell if I'm not baptized or believe he is the son of God. Or if I don't believe Muhammad as the last prophet I have no place in heaven. These elements of exclusiveness is what terrorist exploit to justify their behavior. This kind of separatist thinking is what creates divisiveness which is beyond consideration of others' humanity.

Edited by Gibbs - 09 February 2010 at 8:07am
Gibbs View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gibbs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2010 at 11:53am
I don't know why you moved it but I have no problems talking about the subject. What do you wish to discuss beyond what was said here? Smile
haris30432 View Drop Down
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haris30432 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2010 at 9:28pm
Peace,

Mashallah a very nice article.And yes God teaches us unity through his glorious Quran.May the ones killing and bombing each other learn this from the Quran and change their ways ,God willing.

Peace!
ONE GOD ONE SOURCE OF LAW!
haris30432 View Drop Down
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haris30432 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2010 at 12:55am
Going back to my original point earlier religions are both exclusive and universal which is a constant conflict. Although Jesus loves me as a human, I will go to hell if I'm not baptized or believe he is the son of God. Or if I don't believe Muhammad as the last prophet I have no place in heaven. These elements of exclusiveness is what terrorist exploit to justify their behavior. This kind of separatist thinking is what creates divisiveness which is beyond consideration of others'
humanity.

I really doubt if there are such elements of exclusiveness in Islam.The message of Islam is universal and gives hope to the entire humanity.The basic criteria for a person to be saved in Islam is mentioned in the below verse.

[2:62] Surely, those who believe, those who are Jewish, the Christians, and the converts; anyone who (1) believes in GOD, and (2) believes in the Last Day, and (3) leads a righteous life, will receive their recompense from their Lord. They have nothing to fear, nor will they grieve.

These elements of exclusiveness is what terrorist exploit to justify their behavior. This kind of separatist thinking is what creates divisiveness which is beyond consideration of others' humanity.

This is definitely not the case with Islam.In Islam one has to accept the differences and practice tolerance.As long as there is no aggression or discrimination of any sort from the other side,Muslims are strongly commanded to refrain from any kind of aggression.If there are some people doing other wise,you are absolutely right in calling them terrorists.They have no place in Islam and are not Muslims.They are more harmful to Islam than any other faith.If anybody is using religion(no matter what they call it) to justify their crimes,they are definitely not using Islam.

[109:0] In the name of God, Most Gracious, Most Merciful

[109:1] Say, "O you disbelievers.

[109:2] "I do not worship what you worship.

[109:3] "Nor do you worship what I worship.

[109:4] "Nor will I ever worship what you worship.

[109:5] "Nor will you ever worship what I worship.

[109:6] "To you is your religion, and to me is my religion."

The above Surah(chapter) in the Quran teaches religious tolerance.Just because the person infront of me is a non muslim, i have no right as a muslim to be unfair ,racist ,disrespectful,unjust etc etc in any way towards that person.Islam absolutely condemns such behaviour in very strong words.The fact that the Sura starts with "Say"shows us that every muslim has to believe,proclaim and live according to the teachings in the Quran.And anyone who does otherwise cannot be a muslim.

So the bottom line is that Islam and the Quran does not teach any kind of seperatist thinking or divisiveness of any measure.The ones who have seperatist thinking or divisiveness of any measure and continue to be as such have gone hopelessly far away from islam.
ONE GOD ONE SOURCE OF LAW!
peacemaker View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peacemaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2010 at 8:53pm
Originally posted by Gibbs Gibbs wrote:

Peacemaker thank you for the link it was a very nice read! However, and unfortunately in this case I don't see how that changes anything or my opinion. I had to re-read what I said and I could understand how one may be confused with what I said.

In my opinion religions in particularly monotheistic faiths have an attached irony such as being exclusive and universal. Exclusive in the sense that the "truth" revealed to the prophet of. Particular culture is of the common language revealed to them and universal in the sense of ethical code. Ever major faith or let's say modern social conduct in these times have a particular moral code where humans typically gravitate towards each other unconsciously despite race.

Islam may have provided the spiritual comfort away from racism for Malcolm but with 5.1 billion people on the planet racism, or the potential to be racist is hardly eliminated but this thread isn't about race.....

Going back to my original point earlier religions are both exclusive and universal which is a constant conflict. Although Jesus loves me as a human, I will go to hell if I'm not baptized or believe he is the son of God. Or if I don't believe Muhammad as the last prophet I have no place in heaven. These elements of exclusiveness is what terrorist exploit to justify their behavior. This kind of separatist thinking is what creates divisiveness which is beyond consideration of others' humanity.

Hello Gibbs,

Here is a verse:

�If anyone desires a religion other than Islam (submission to Allah., never will it be accepted of him; and in the Hereafter He will be in the ranks of those who have lost (All spiritual good).�

Qur�an 3:85

Those who believed in the Messengers such as the Moses and Jesus (peace be upon them) in their respective times also believed in Islam. Of course, after arrival of the last Messenger, Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him), one is expected to accept his Message.

And when Islam doesn�t judge one upon the basis of one�s ethnicity, gender, or color, and it attempts to unify the entire humanity, it invites everyone to ponder and accept its message. Of course, there is no compulsion in religion.

Those who misrepresent a faith have nothing to do with Islam or any other faith. It only seems a common sense that one should scrutinize the source that is being twisted.

If a thief plays with the system and steals, it is not the fault of the law that prohibits stealing. It is the thief that has stolen and broken the law.

May Allah guide us all. 

Peace

Edited by peacemaker - 10 February 2010 at 9:04pm
Then which of the favours of your Lord will ye deny?
Qur'an 55:13
Hayfa View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hayfa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2010 at 9:00pm
"Going back to my original point earlier religions are both exclusive and universal which is a constant conflict."

You bring up good points.. it is true that there is tension between both. And what does it mean  to "tolerate?" Never easy questions for any society.   

I think there are also people who are agnostic or athiest who are "intolerant". And do not think any behavior should be questioned or addresses. In the name of  "tolerance" people can become intolerant. 

Its like if say, religious people chose not to integrate- saw Amish or other conservative groups people get "angry" because THEY are viewed as intolerant for not wanting their kids to grow up with excessive nudity, dating, alcohol etc. So the "open" people reject these other people.

I remember in Maryland here there was a local law passed allowing cross-dressing men to change or use women's rest rooms and changing facilities.- cause they would get "abused" going to the mens room.. And the only reason it went through was a council person had a friend who faced this question.  So who gets what -the tension between the one person and the whole society.

When you do things from your soul, you feel a river moving in you, a joy. Rumi
Gibbs View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gibbs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2010 at 11:33am
Haris,

I don't deny that there are universal elements within Islam what I said was there is also an exclusiveness to Islam as well. The exclusiveness is truth. The premise of Islam is "God's Religion" and that all other theostic religions have been distorted, that alone makes this religion exclusive.

Since Islam is truth and is God's religion this excludes Christians, Taoist, Jews, Sikhs etc
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic