IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > General Islamic Matter
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Interested in opinions  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Interested in opinions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Starter
Starter
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussiemuslim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Interested in opinions
    Posted: 14 January 2010 at 9:41am
Assalamu Alaikkum,

I am an Australian born Muslim and new to this site. I was hoping to get some feedback on some issues I was having.

Australia certainly has some issues with racism, not all Australians are racists though. My main problem is actually with with Islamic leadership in Australia who seem to be consistently apologising for Islam. Comments like we are Australian Muslims and we are loyal to the country of citizenship are rather concerning. As far as I knew countries are a human construct and the only loyalty as Muslims we have is to Allah and the Qu'ran, one of the key strengths of Islam is the equality of race and brotherhood and sisterhood we all share.

I am not supporting disobeying Australian law, respect must be given to a societies law, but I find it difficult to align myself with nationality. We should be proud to be Muslims and not have to pander to the uneducated bigots.

So I guess I will hand it over for anyone else to comment and put their thoughts on the matter.

Peace be with you all.

Chrysalis View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chrysalis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 January 2010 at 1:57am
Originally posted by Aussiemuslim Aussiemuslim wrote:

Assalamu Alaikkum,

I am an Australian born Muslim and new to this site. I was hoping to get some feedback on some issues I was having.

Australia certainly has some issues with racism, not all Australians are racists though. My main problem is actually with with Islamic leadership in Australia who seem to be consistently apologising for Islam. Comments like we are Australian Muslims and we are loyal to the country of citizenship are rather concerning. As far as I knew countries are a human construct and the only loyalty as Muslims we have is to Allah and the Qu'ran, one of the key strengths of Islam is the equality of race and brotherhood and sisterhood we all share.

I am not supporting disobeying Australian law, respect must be given to a societies law, but I find it difficult to align myself with nationality. We should be proud to be Muslims and not have to pander to the uneducated bigots.

So I guess I will hand it over for anyone else to comment and put their thoughts on the matter.

Peace be with you all.

Wa'alaikum salaam Aussie Muslim,

Yes, in Islam - we identify ourselves as Muslims first, and everything else should take a backseat to that, including our lineage, family, friends, your own self etc.

However, as long as one is clear regarding the priority Islam and our "Muslimness" requires - there is no harm in having affliations towards your kith, kin, land, and "people". So you were born in Australia, it would be natural to have feelings of affiliation & loyalty to the land. You don't have to go out of your way to show your "Muslim-ness". It is something intrinsic, and deep-rooted. Being Australian & Muslim does not have to be a contradiction, or oxymoron. You are a Muslim, yet you are also son/daughter of so-&-so, you may also have ethnic roots somewhere else,  similarly, you also happen to be Australian. Those are all the subsets you belong to, as a Muslim.

You as an "Australian" Muslim do have rights & responsibilities towards the people who govern your land, and indirectly provide for the benefits you enjoy as their "citizen".

I agree that  we as Muslims do not need to constantly defend & apologize for our faith, however, there are times (such as after acts committed by our own brethren) when we do need to re-assure others. It is but a natural, human thing to do.

Also, one question, what do you exactly mean when you say: "but I find it difficult to align myself with nationality." ? In what ways ?

Anyway, just my views. That is how I approach my "nationality" as a Pakistani, yet Muslim first.

"O Lord, forgive me, my parents and Muslims in the Hereafter. O Lord, show mercy on them as they showed mercy to me when I was young."
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic