IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Culture & Community > Groups : Women (Sisters)
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Double DD's  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Double DD's - Event Date: 15 December 2009

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zaharah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: Double DD's
    Posted: 15 December 2009 at 1:21pm
Punch out PMS with Double DD?  
  Assalimu Alaikum Sisters.
I wanted to post this information because it is something that we all deal with. We experience it ourself's, our mother's, daughter's, aunts and friends. I personally put this information here because not only do i believe it, i pratice it as well. I have been practicing this for over a year and i wanted to share this information. Allah is great, Allah Akbar! All Powerful and Wise....

Dairy packs PMS punch
Eating more dairy could dramatically relieve PMS symptoms. That's if new research, featured on a recent episode of 'The Truth About Food' (SABC2, Fridays at 21:00), can be believed.

The results of a study conducted by the BBC indicate that drinking low-fat milk and eating low-fat yoghurt and cheese � all dairy products rich in calcium and vitamin D � helps some women to reduce their symptoms of premenstrual syndrome (PMS) by 80% or more.

Advertisement
Up to 80% of women in their childbearing years suffer from PMS, the symptoms of which can vary from slight irritability to depression, to reactions that are practically psychotic. Physical symptoms range from swollen breasts, headaches/migraines, fatigue, cramps and insomnia to a total breakdown of function � so much so that, in some cases, relationships and careers can be in danger.

Although a variety of nutrients (such as vitamin B6 and the omega fatty acids in evening primrose oil) have been shown to alleviate PMS symptoms, the idea that calcium and vitamin D may also help is relatively new.

Previous research
An early study reported in 1998 by Thys-Jacobs et al (Krause, 2000) found that women who took 1200 mg of calcium a day for three months had significant reductions in PMS symptoms. Thys-Jacobs suggested that PMS could actually be a calcium deficiency or a malfunctioning in calcium metabolism.

In 2005, Bertone-Johnson and co-workers from the University of Massachusetts in the USA studied the calcium and vitamin D intakes of a very large group of women who had previously participated in the so-called 'Nurses Health Study'.

The researchers examined the calcium and vitamin D intakes of women aged 27 to 44 who developed PMS over a 10-year period (1 057 women) and of the controls who didn't develop PMS (1 968 women).

Bertone-Johnson and her team found that women who ate the most calcium (about 1200mg per day) were 30% less likely to develop PMS than women who only ate 530mg of calcium a day. Similar results were obtained for vitamin D intake, i.e. women who ate plenty of vitamin D (400 IU per day) had the lowest incidence of PMS.

The researchers concluded that "a high intake of calcium and vitamin D may reduce the risk of PMS." They also pointed out that calcium and vitamin D potentially reduce the risk of osteoporosis and certain cancers, so that even young women should be encouraged to increase their intakes of calcium- and vitamin D-rich foods.

The BBC study
The BBS researchers also tested women with PMS who ate what they called "The Double-D Diet" (Dairy and vitamin D). This diet contained up to four servings of low-fat dairy products a day and the participants were instructed to follow it for a period of 3 months. The women in the control group were given dummy or placebo pills for 3 months. The participants recorded their PMS symptoms and noted how severe these symptoms were.

At the end of 3 months, the group receiving active treatment in the form of plenty of low-fat dairy foods reported a dramatic reduction in PMS symptoms. Some of the women achieved PMS symptom reduction of up to 100%. On average, the symptoms improved by 30% (a similar finding to the results obtained by Bertone-Johnson and her team at the University of Massachusetts).

The control group in the BBC study did not experience a dramatic reduction in PMS symptoms.

Boosting your calcium intake
It's ironic that the majority of women, especially teenagers and young women, tend to avoid milk and dairy products because they view these foods as fattening.

Where this strange idea came from I don't know. Even full-cream milk only contains 3.3g of fat and 257kJ per 100ml (119mg of calcium/100ml). Low-fat or 2% milk contains 1.9g of fat and 208kJ per 100ml, plus 130mg of calcium. And, best of all, fat-free or skimmed milk contains 0.3mg of fat and 146kJ per 100ml and 123mg of calcium.

The same applies to yoghurt, with the fat-free version containing only a trace of fat and less energy than the full-cream version.

By selecting low-fat or fat-free milk and dairy products you can ensure that you're getting all the calcium you require, without the fat or a high kilojoule content.

All dairy products (milk, yoghurt, cottage cheese and other cheeses) are rich sources of calcium. Select the low-fat or fat-free versions if you're concerned about weight gain.

Vitamin D not a problem for SA women
South Africans are lucky in the sense that we get more than enough sun exposure, which helps our bodies to produce vitamin D.

Just remember that if you go out in the sun, you should always protect yourself with a broad-rimmed hat and sunblock (SPF 30+) that protects against both UVA and UVB rays.

Link:http://www.health24.com/dietnfood/Eating_throughout_life/15-50-746,43815.asp
Link:www.fatanalheri.org (forum)

Edited by Zaharah - 15 December 2009 at 2:01pm
CHANGE- Let's change the way we eat, the way we live and the way we treat each other. You see the old way wasn't working, so it's on us to do what we gotta do to survive.

Tupac A. Shakur...
Full of Hopes View Drop Down
Senior  Member
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Full of Hopes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 December 2009 at 11:42am

Asslamu ALaikum Star

I tried this myself. Although I do not like milk, I tried to follow sister Zaharah's advice and after a month all of those troubles became nothing, by the Grace of Allah.Approve And I became healthier.
 Allah Akbar, then I shared this with my colleagues and they add that eating enough of diary will help us -females- in future, I mean around 50s and 60s, your body will remain strong, inshallah. It helps a lot to avoid bones weakness troubles that many have when they become older.
    Anyway, this is really amazing from my personal experience. subhanallah.  Smile
 May Allah bless you and be pleased. Jazaki Allah Khairn for posting this. Heart

Edited by Full of Hopes - 16 December 2009 at 11:44am
And whoever seeks a religion other than Isl�m, it will never be accepted of him, and in the Hereafter he will be one of the losers(3:85)
Zaharah View Drop Down
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zaharah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 December 2009 at 6:36pm
Wa Alaikum As Salams sister Full of Hopes.
Im so happy that The Double DD'd helped you.  I was shocked myself when i tried this.  I do not like the milk myself sister, shame on usLOL
But i did cheat and flavor it with chocolate and im still able to get it down.  I increased the chees and yogurt as well.  Allah is so wise.  He provided the milk thru a blessed process inside the cow.
Please sisters try this, it works
Just up your daily each day and more when it's menstration time and in no time you will see a difference, usually it takes about a month.
Insha Allah
Zaharah
CHANGE- Let's change the way we eat, the way we live and the way we treat each other. You see the old way wasn't working, so it's on us to do what we gotta do to survive.

Tupac A. Shakur...
memooo2008 View Drop Down
Starter
Starter

Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote memooo2008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 December 2009 at 9:20am
assalam alaikom...

ameen..

thank you zahara for this useful information...Smile I'm a new member here.. this post tracted me and I think every woman need it...I'll tell my friend because she had this problem..

Zaharah View Drop Down
Female
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zaharah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 December 2009 at 9:40am

wa Alaikum As Salam,

Welcome sister memooo2008.  Please sister let me know how this works out for your friend.  I pretty positive things will be so different, Insha Allah.  Giving honor and Praise to Allah Most High.
Zaharah

Tupac A. Shakur...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic