IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Religion - Islam > Interfaith Dialogue
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - History and Crucifixion of Jesus Christ?  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

History and Crucifixion of Jesus Christ?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Senior  Member
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mansoor_ali Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: History and Crucifixion of Jesus Christ?
    Posted: 14 November 2009 at 8:40am

Topic:Is there any historical evidence for crucifixion of Jesus Christ?

Many times we discuss this topic.But i am interested what history tells us about crucifixion of Jesus Christ.

Even christians quote Biblical verses to prove their point that undoubtly Jesus was crucified but i am looking not what Bible says about it.I am looking what history and historians are telling us about it.

I am a NOT A EXPERT in the field of debate i am just a student.So i like that any christian put forward his/her point about this topic "History and Crucifixion of Jesus Christ"

Angel View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 November 2009 at 7:00pm
From what I've heard in documentaries, which is little on the issue and its been awhile since I watched something on it. Is still unclear but the only strong point I have which I sometimes on a few occassion point out that the Romans used crucifixion for capital punishment (death penalty). Many recieved it not just Jesus and the other two men along side Him.

I think somewhere someone believes that they have a piece of wood from the cross that Jesus was on but that is only a snipet for me from some doco whether its true or not is.....???? Haven't heard or seen anything more about since that time, awhile ago.

I believe that Jesus was crucified but I also been for awhile that Jesus may have actually survived and its not that hard to believe either when you consider some facts about the human body that most likely wouldn't been known back then.
Mary Magdeline was givng, applying herbs to the wound that Jesus had and they are healing herbs. Also the body has an ability that it can lower the heart beat slowly that its hard to feel, even one today in deep meditation can lower their breathing and heart beat where it seems non exist.
(and with the knowledge that Jesus may have possessed may have known this - that is speculation on my part but Jesus did have an ability in healing people).

~ Our feet are earthbound, but our hearts and our minds have wings ~
Angel View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 November 2009 at 11:56pm

How far do you want to go back in history? cause I can go alot further back than 1976 years. Smile

martha View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2009 at 12:35am
Angel,
Yes you are right. Crucifixion was a common form of capital punishment. And actually some were crucified upside down!
Angel, I will leave it to you to explain how far this type of punishment goes back..if you are asked.
It does have a long history doesn't it
some of us are a lot like cement:- all mixed up and permanently set
Angel View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2009 at 1:46am
Actually I didn't mean the actual roman capital punishment of crucifixion but many peoples had stories of crucifxion & resurrection long before Jesus, even ancient Rome had theirs.  
I was doing some research and found interesting stories of the likeness in Christianity before it was established. Hindiusm and Mithraism and Egypt I kinda knew of but there are other similar stories but all are attributed to one event. 
Whether Jesus' crucifixions is actually real remains to be known, but are there some people that doubt it in His time (around the time)? 
martha View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2009 at 5:00am
This is interesting.

Wikipedia
'Crucifixion was in use particularly among the Persians, Seleucids, Carthaginians, and Romans from about the 6th century BC to the 4th century AD, when in the year 337 Emperor Constantine I abolished it in his empire, out of veneration for Jesus Christ, the most famous victim of crucifixion.[2][3] It was also used as a form of execution in Japan, of both criminals and Christians.'

This kind of punishment I understand was used during the 2nd WW by the Japanese.
And today don't the Phillipines re-enact crucifixion each year? And in Mexico too? (not to the point of death tho)

wikipedia also says this ( and I have also heard the same over the years as a former Christian)

'The mention in the New Testament of the death of Peter says that Jesus indicated its form by saying: "You will stretch out your hands, and someone else will dress you and lead you where you do not want to go."[John 21:18-19] Early church tradition (as indicated below) says Peter probably died by crucifixion (with arms outstretched) at the time of the Great Fire of Rome of the year 64. Margherita Guarducci, who led the research leading to the rediscovery of Peter�s tomb in its last stages (1963-1968), concludes Peter died on October 13 A.D. 64 during the festivities on the occasion of the �dies imperii� of Emperor Nero. This took place three months after the disastrous fire that destroyed Rome for which the emperor wished to blame the Christians. This �dies imperii� (regnal day anniversary) was an important one, exactly ten years after Nero ascended to the throne, and it was �as usual� accompanied by much bloodshed. Traditionally, Roman authorities sentenced him to death by crucifixion. According to the apocryphal Acts of Peter, he was crucified head down. Tradition also locates his burial place where the Basilica of Saint Peter was later built, directly beneath the Basilica's high altar.'

some of us are a lot like cement:- all mixed up and permanently set
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic