IslamiCity.org Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Culture & Community > Groups : Youth
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Entertainment  What is Islam What is Islam  Donate Donate
  FAQ FAQ  Quran Search Quran Search  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Entertainment

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Female Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seekshidayath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Entertainment
    Posted: 16 October 2009 at 7:29pm
Author :Asma bint Shameem

Bismillah Walhamdulillah Was Salaatu Was Salaam 'ala Rasulillah
As-Salaam Alaikum Wa-Rahmatullahi Wa-Barakatuhu

The society we live in is centered around Having Fun.
The whole purpose of life seems to be just that. Everything is supposed to be "Entertainment, Entertainment, Entertainment" .

All our energies are spent gaining the "pleasures" of this life. And although, seeking pleasure in a Halaal way is absolutely allowed, yet that is NOT the purpose of our creation.

Rather, to worship Allaah while enjoying the blessings He gave us in ways that are pleasing to Him.
�And I (Allaah) created not the jinn and mankind except that they should worship Me (Alone)�[al-Dhaariyaat: 56]

Nowadays, although the ummah needs to increase the love between its individual members and to relieve itself of boredom, we have gone too far with regard to relaxation, laughter and jokes. This has become a habit which fills our gatherings and wastes our time, so that our lives are wasted and our days are gone.

Our newspapers are filled with jokes and trivia, and there is no mention of the life to come. Our evenings are spent in front of the TV, watching senseless shows and comedies, full of all sorts of haraam. And that too, with our families! Subhaan Allaah!

And what a waste of time all that is! And we do all this to entertain and relax ourselves! With what?

With what Allaah has declared as Haraam??!!!

The Prophet (pbuh) said: �If you knew what I know, you would laugh little and weep much.�

In Fath al-Baari it says: �What is meant by knowledge here has to do with the Might of Allaah and His vengeance upon those who disobey Him, and the terrors that occur at death, in the grave and on the Day of Resurrection.

Our youth constantly want to be entertained all the time. They spend literally hours at a stretch, playing video games, chatting on the computer, talking on the phone, watching movies or TV or even sleeping or else they get BORED !

In Islaam, there is no such thing as getting bored !

The Prophet said: "Grab five things before five others: your youth before your old age, your health before your illness, your wealth before your poverty, your leisure before your work, and your life before your death." (Al-Hakim)

This Hadith is a direct call on all Muslims to invest their time as early as possible when conditions are favorable, i.e , youth, health, wealth and time before being handicapped by hurdles, such as old age, sickness, poverty or preoccupation.

The Righteous Salaf were extremely careful about occupying their time with useful deeds, and they hated laziness and lethargy.

Umar Ibn-Al-Khattab said, "I hate to see any of you unoccupied, doing nothing for this world or the Hereafter."

Yet, our sisters/brothers spend way too much time in the malls, on the phone, in the beauty salons, decorating their homes (excessively) , too much time in cooking, or if nothing else, just window shopping.

O sisters/brothers ! Allaah will ask us how we spent our time in this world!
"On the Day of Resurrection the feet of the son of Adam will not move away till he is questioned about four matters: how he spent his lifetime, how he spent his youth; from where he acquired his wealth and how he spent it, and what he did with his knowledge." (Tirmidhi)

Now, I am not saying that we should forsake the world and go into a jungle to worship Allaah or turn ourselves into hermits!
That is NOT ISLAAM either.
Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) said: �All the descendants of Adam are sinners, and the best of sinners are those who repent."
seekshidayath View Drop Down
Female Islam
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seekshidayath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 October 2009 at 7:30pm

We need to find that perfect balance in our lives that governed the lives of the Prophet (pbuh) and the Sahabah. They would earn a livelihood during the day, laugh and relax with each other, but only to a degree that would be pleasing to Allaah. Never would they let the Dunyaa distract them from praying, doing righteous deeds or forgetting the Aakhirah. And NEVER would they waste time.

Bilaal ibn Sad said: �I saw them [the Sahaabah] jokingly pretending to fight over some goods, and laughing with one another, but when night came they were like monks(i.e., devoted worshippers) .�
Ibn Umar was asked, �Did the Companions of the Prophet (pbuh) laugh?� He said, �Yes, and the faith in their hearts was like mountains.�

Some people justify their waste of time occupied with the Dunyaa saying that we are supposed to ask for Dunyaa and quote the following verse to validate their various forms of entertainments.

�But there are others who say: Lord, give us goodness in this world and goodness in the Hereafter, and save us from the punishment of the Fire�.� (al-Baqarah: 201)

No doubt that we are supposed to ask of the goodness of this world, but we are ALSO supposed to ask for the goodness of the Hereafter, each in its own correct perspective. And the example of the Prophet (pbuh) is the perfect example for anyone who calls himself Muslim.

We need to ask ourselves�.

How did the Prophet (pbuh) apply this verse?

How much of the Dunyaa did he ask for?

And how much of the Aakhirah did he strive for?

What was the proportion of the Duniya in his life as compared to the Aakhirah ?

Was his life all fun and games and being entertained all the time ?

We need to follow the example of such people, who were knights by day and devoted worshippers by night. We need to choose righteous and serious friends in our lives, who will help us to make the right choices, appropriate use of our time and strive for the sake of Allaah with seriousness and steadfastness.

Yusuf Al-Qaradhawi says, "Leisure time will never remain unoccupied. It will be occupied with good or evil. If one does not occupy himself with truth, that self will make him occupied with falsehood. Successful is he who fills his time with what is good and righteous, and woe to him who fills it with evil and corruption.�

Edited by seekshidayath - 16 October 2009 at 7:31pm
Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) said: �All the descendants of Adam are sinners, and the best of sinners are those who repent."
Chrysalis View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chrysalis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 November 2009 at 2:54am
SubhhanAllah, I loved this article. :)
"O Lord, forgive me, my parents and Muslims in the Hereafter. O Lord, show mercy on them as they showed mercy to me when I was young."
xenophon View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie
Male
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xenophon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 November 2009 at 7:01am
A case in point about materialism and entertainment as the mainstays of world culture. I teach in China. My most unruly class is usually all but impossible to quiet down (and I am an ex-NCO with a large beard!) The other day (just after I had gotten paid) the children decided it was fun to mimic my accent when I speak Chinese. After a few fruitless efforts at quieting them, I had an idea. I launched into my usual speech about how they were wasting their parents' money. THEN, I took my pay from the bag said,浪费钱!(You're wasting your parents' money!) and threw the money into the garbage can. The effect was about equal to that of spitting on a crucifix in a Christian Chgurch. The class was shocked beyond belief---no one had ever done anything in their experience to "disrespect" money. Class was quiet and responsive thereafter. One sees the same respect paid wealth and its trappings in the new China as used to be shown for statues of the Buddha. As for the West...? Without endorsing the agents of 9/11, the choice of the WTC was no accident. That edifice was the High Temple of the real American Religion.(Yes, I did retrieve my pay after the session.)
Chrysalis View Drop Down
Senior  Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chrysalis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2009 at 10:23am
Originally posted by xenophon xenophon wrote:

. After a few fruitless efforts at quieting them, I had an idea. I launched into my usual speech about how they were wasting their parents' mone THEN, I took my pay from the bag said,浪费钱!(You're wasting your parents' money!) and threw the money into the garbage can.

Innovative approach ! I likes.. Smile
"O Lord, forgive me, my parents and Muslims in the Hereafter. O Lord, show mercy on them as they showed mercy to me when I was young."
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic